How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-01-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewytch
That is amazing stuff. It certainly intimidates me as I delve into becoming a stylist.

If you don't mind my asking, how did you work your way into it?
No need to be intimidated at all. I worked my way into styling by assisting a working stylist, getting on the assistant list at a local talent agency, testing with photographers and networking my arse off with anyone in the business. You've got to be equipped though when you are out networking - have business cards or promo comp cards so that key people will have a way to contact you and to show them that you are serious about what you do. I was willing to work for free in the beginning but NO MORE!!!!!! Pay me fellas and gals!!!!! Try everything related to styling so that you can find out which area you love the most then focus on that. I LOOOOOOOVE print work - it's a tangible reward for me.

Much luck to you!!!!

20-01-2006
rising star

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. Actually my husband is also an aspiring fashion photographer, doing mostly TFP, but working on getting some paid gigs. We've been renting out some studio space. I have decided to start doing "stylist" work for his photo shoots, handling wardrobe, directing on hair, makeup, themes, etc. I am going to use this to build a portfolio and then see where it goes. It is definitely something I have a passion for though, picking out clothes, matching accessories, and so forth. I am excited about it though. We have our first starter portfolio session with a model next month.

Anyway, I don't want to divert the thread here. I just wanted to share.

20-01-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemediva
I've looked throughout this thread and everyone's work is amazing. I also have similar frustrations as others with feeling limited creatively on magazine editorials - you can't go too far; keep it clean! I just did a fun and amazing editorial that i will post as soon as I can work with these files to make them smaller (not so tech savvy).

Check it out! www.kimchewning.com

I'm rather shy but what the heck - I look forward to any feedback.

Thanks!

Bohemediva
Absolutely nothing to be shy about ... your work is outstanding, Kim!

I can see you are where I want to be in the next couple of years ... and your advice is spot on. I love your prop work and set styling, too ... something that interests me as well, but I've only done a few times, so far. Originally, I wanted to be an interior designer ... so that would be the best of both worlds.

Where are you located?

Here's my work ... I'm in Los Angeles ... so print work is quite commercial here unless you do glamour (I don't). So my portfolio relfects the market here: http://www.musecube.com/BetteT/

I'm particualrily proud of a recent set of images in the "Editorial 2" portfolio ... the bottom 8 images on the dark, dramatic background. This story was inspired by the paintings of Tamara de Lempicka, a noted artist in the 20's and 30's. The wardrobe was not vintage ... pulled totally from current lines, but intended to reflect the 30's esthetic. http://www.musecube.com/BetteT/11927...owimage=895503

Last edited by BetteT; 20-01-2006 at 01:55 PM.
21-01-2006
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT

Where are you located?

My guess is Baltimore? Or at least that's where the "Style" magazine shots came from.

Bohemediva: I really liked your "Snowball" story. Great blue feeling and sweet, classic holiday styling. Do you have anything else like this? I'd love to see some more!

21-01-2006
trendsetter

hey bohemediva and bette T ...nice work!!!!....keep posting

hi zrzava...c'mon pls post something...today i got another ed published very clean white background for swimwear.....my men's ed was cool,not something im dying to but i pulled it off...i have another next week so...a lot o pressure....

21-01-2006
rising star

Will do Xone. Waiting on prints to come back from the office. I will see about some digi's in the meantime. Thanks for the enthusiasm. I'm done with my shoots for this month. Whew!

22-01-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT
Absolutely nothing to be shy about ... your work is outstanding, Kim!

I can see you are where I want to be in the next couple of years ... and your advice is spot on. I love your prop work and set styling, too ... something that interests me as well, but I've only done a few times, so far. Originally, I wanted to be an interior designer ... so that would be the best of both worlds.

Where are you located?

Here's my work ... I'm in Los Angeles ... so print work is quite commercial here unless you do glamour (I don't). So my portfolio relfects the market here: http://www.musecube.com/BetteT/

I'm particualrily proud of a recent set of images in the "Editorial 2" portfolio ... the bottom 8 images on the dark, dramatic background. This story was inspired by the paintings of Tamara de Lempicka, a noted artist in the 20's and 30's. The wardrobe was not vintage ... pulled totally from current lines, but intended to reflect the 30's esthetic. http://www.musecube.com/BetteT/11927...owimage=895503
Hi Bette!!!
Thanks I'm in the Baltimore / DC area. The work here is very commercial here too. I get to have fun on a few things like the masquerade story for a new magazine that let's us have full creative freedom.

Great work Bette! How long have you been styling and how did you get started?

22-01-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrzava
My guess is Baltimore? Or at least that's where the "Style" magazine shots came from.

Bohemediva: I really liked your "Snowball" story. Great blue feeling and sweet, classic holiday styling. Do you have anything else like this? I'd love to see some more!
Hi Zrzava

Your guess is right! Thanks I've done work with a teen mag and testing that has this kinda feel but I don't have them on my computer nor in my web portfolio (sorry). I'll see what I can gather.

22-01-2006
fashion icon

something I did
1.bmp

22-01-2006
V.I.P.

Thanks Kim. I"ve been styling since 2001 and I got started accidentally. I had a neighbor who started doing fashion photograpy and she asked me to assist her, then later asked me to help her style some of her shoots. I was so clueless ... I didn't know what "styling" was. But she'd been a model and a film producer/writer/director for years (put herself through film school at Northwestern with her modeling money) ... so she knew exactly what she wanted and taught me what works on camera. We both discovered that I had the eye for it and luckily also had strong business and sales (real estate and banking) background and excellent credit which helped a lot. As you know, it's a lot of marketing and paperwork, as well as creative work. So she told me what to do to start a portfolio and off I went.

Then I learned everything else by networking at forums like this and testing like crazy. I try to work with the best photograhers that I can ... and look for ones that seem to be going somewhere and have a good business plan.

A lot of the paid work I get is by working with my friend ... we have a speciality in the plus modeling arena and are considered the best on the west coast ... and maybe in the country ... at least we are getting there. I've also hooked up with a couple other really good photographers that are starting to get some decent paid work and they consider me part of their team so that is helping too.

Thats my story ... I'm just working my way up ... who knows where it will lead.

How 'bout you, Kim? When and how did you get into this biz?

22-01-2006
V.I.P.

zrzava and Xone ... thanks for sharing your work, too. I find that seeing other stylists' work, like yours, inspires me to try new things ... different from what I've done in the past. Please, share some more when you get it.

Tess ... cute image, she just looks like "the girl next door" ... pretty and innocent and the styling perfectly matches that.

Since this forum is for critiques, may I offer one suggestion? It looks like the hanger strap (you know, the inside ribbon thingy which you use to hang up the garment) is showing under her arm ... at least that's what it looks like to me. That is why a fashion/wardrobe stylist needs to be on set ... to make sure that there are no gaps, no straps showing and no wrinkles, etc. Forgive me, if it is intentional but it just seems to me like something that you missed ... rather than perhaps an "edgy" detail, since the rest of the image is soft and pretty.

22-01-2006
fashion icon

Quote:
Tess ... cute image, she just looks like "the girl next door" ... pretty and innocent and the styling perfectly matches that.
thanx I also took the picture, but I guess this isnt a photographer thread

30-01-2006
rising star

Something new I worked on which will be featured in an exhibition this March. There are a lot more...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lib.jpg (142.2 KB, 33 views)

31-01-2006
PopWillEatItself

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrzava
Something new I worked on which will be featured in an exhibition this March. There are a lot more...
I'd love to see more of it... this looks gorgeous....

02-02-2006
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by melt977
I'd love to see more of it... this looks gorgeous....
Thanks for the encouraging words Melt977! I will post more after the exhibition...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, feedback, share, stylists, work