How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-03-2012
front row

NöNe - Miss Celie (Make up Music Video)
I've been a Fashion spotter for a few Years and i just wanted to share with you guys my directorial debut and the Debut of my Artist NöNe.
the song and video are inspired by a Beauty shoot we did.
The Message of the Song and video are you don't need surgery to be beautiful just a good "Beat" which is slang for Putting on ones face. there are faces of all races ages sizes and backgrounds. i hope you guys enjoy.
A. Giles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOUP895CMOU

03-03-2015
V.I.P.

Welcome to the Fashion Spot, Antoine!

When you say "collection" it tells me that perhaps you might be the designer and that this might be posted in the wrong thread. I'd like to clarify it and make this is placed in the correct thread, so we can give our opinions about the part of the work that you actually did.

Are you the designer (your collection that you created) ... or a you a stylist (assembling clothes from an other or several other designers for this photoshoot)?

Last edited by BetteT; 04-03-2015 at 10:49 AM.

04-03-2015
windowshopping

Hello BetteT, I'm the designer of this collection, for the whole process from pattern making to sewing.
I am really sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread! Could you show me the good one?

Last edited by Antoine de T; 04-03-2015 at 02:26 AM.
04-03-2015
V.I.P.

I have moved your post for you to this thread for Aspiring Designers: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f90...-a-118639.html

Last edited by BetteT; 04-03-2015 at 10:49 AM.

30-07-2015
fashion insider

Hey guys, I wanted to bump this thread up (can't believe no one's sharing their work here anymore :-( ) and get some critics and feedback of my work as I feel it may help me get better and grow. I did my first editorials a few years ago (actually I posted them here at the time) and just started up again after a year of internships.

These are photos that were published in ELLE men Hong Kong as well as one from Bite magazine and a test shoot.

30-07-2015
fashion insider

(hope you guys don't mind the second flock of pictures, also I've just included pieces of each editorial, I didn't want to overload you guys the rest can be found on my portfolio (link in signature) if you are interested in seeing them in their entirety... ' hope to hear your thoughts! )

4 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

Hi Andrea,

Nice to see you posting in here again ... and congrats on those editorials! Well done!!

Since you asked for critique ... here are my thoughts.

You pulled off a cohesive story for each set, which is something that takes talent. Love the moodiness of the last one and I like the one in the fields ... I like the opposites of an urban look in the country.

I have one thought (and a bunch of advice about it) that I'd like share ... something that I learned from a photographer. Black is extremely hard to shoot. It usually looks flat and details disappear. it needs special lighting. And since fashion shots are supposed to be about the clothes, seeing the details is pretty important. So, if the photog doesn't light it well, it leaves it up to you, the stylist, to compensate for this problem.

Take a look at the ones where the model is all in black. Can you see the seams, the buttons, the details? If not then that means the photographer did not light it well enough for that shot.

A couple of the shots in the fields showed a lot of details in the black outfits ... just because it was shot late in the day and the sun came from the side. But some of them are very flat looking ... you really can't tell much about the clothing. If you have a good relationship with the photog, and he/she trusts your advice ... tell him/her that there needs to be more side lighting on the black, to make the details show ... a reflector or two on one side works wonders. But ... that's risky to tell a photog how to light his subject (after all, he's supposed to be the expert in how to light the photos) ... so most of the time, you just can't do that. So, as a stylist, when you use black you must assume that the photog will not light it well and it's up to you to make the details pop.

Here are some things that a stylist might think about doing to make black look less flat and more detailed:

1. Silhouette ... the shape of the clothing can be unusual. You have two that show that quite well ... the two pics on the upper right on the last set... the fabric looks flat, but the shapes are distinctive.
2. Texture .... deep texture, where the ridges and dips will create some contrast, even if the lighting is somewhat flat. A rough texture over a smooth one will make both pieces look different, even if they are both black.
3. Shine ... example:, the one where she's on the roof.
4. Pattern ... example: with the suit with the long jacket, the windowpane plaid adds interest.
5. Contrast ... if you can't mix textures, consider adding a lighter shade of black ... a charcoal or slightly lighter ... so one piece does not run right into the other, visually. For all black looks that consist of more than one piece, you probably want to be able to see that it's a top and pants/skirt ... not just a unitard.
6. Negative Space ... laser cut holes or cutouts showing skin or the a contrasting color underneath.
7. Hardware ... zippers,, buckles, buttons ... anything shiny that might catch the light.

Thanks for sharing ... it's nice to see you back at it. You clearly have talent.

4 Weeks Ago
fashion insider

Really BetteT, for as long as I can remember reading the forums I've always been so grateful we have you here on TFS, before posting these here I was reading up on some of the other styling and photography pages and your insight and advice is always so valuable!!
Thank you(!!) for taking the time in writing me a developed critic you are totally right about those photos, I had never figured out how to overcome that issue up to now. I am definitely going to tackle it and work in your tips! Hope to come back next time with better results :-D

4 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

I You are most welcome! Glad it gave you food for thought and something to try.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, feedback, share, stylists, work