How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-11-2007
V.I.P.

Sending in / Submitting Written Stories/Articles to Magazines?
I'm not sure this is the right place for this thread, if not, sorry! Feel free to move it wherever it belongs...

I write alot and attended various writing classes, always got excellent grades and reviews. One of my lecturers was at Oxford and he once said I should try sending in my stories to newspapers/magazines...

Does anyone has experience with that? I have no idea how to do it or WHERE to send it to or to WHOM?

Last edited by fairy; 17-11-2007 at 06:43 AM.

18-11-2007
front row

Yeah I was wondering the exact same thing... Like say you sent in this AMAZING piece of work to like, Vogue - would they be able to publish it??

19-11-2007
trendsetter

Go to the bookstore or library. There is tons of books on selling your writing and how to get published.

19-11-2007
V.I.P.

havent thought about that!! thanks for the advice!!

backstage pass

how do we send stoires into editors of magazines to get sourced?
doesent it seem like they would completely look over our emails?

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmess View Post
Email them for 'writer's guidelines'; a lot of magazines have documents describing how they prefer stories to be submitted. Basically do the whole package to make it as easy as possible for the editor. Editors like to have some stories they can slot in anytime if they sell extra ads that month.

04-08-2008
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmess View Post
I can say as a new editor..the best thing to do is look for permission, not just create it for yourself. I launched the website for our print magazine and we clearly mark out a link for Submissions and the guidelines..if magazines have websites and they want stories, they will state so on the page either in the Contact, About, or Submissions page located in the header or footer..its standard..look out for that and follow directions..I can stress enough people who just email randomly asking 'Hi, can I write for you' lol obviously I delete that asap..as opposed to a full on proposal, resume and link to writing samples online..PM me if you need more advice!

03-12-2010
backstage pass

Freelance Fashion Journalism
-Any advice on how to break into freelance fashion writing?
-Has anyone here done it?
-Any magazines/newspapers/blogs/websites particularly open to new writers?
-How should you go about contacting an organization for a freelance job? What should you say and which person should you talk to?
-What should you expect to write about? How much time can you expect to have to write your story?

03-12-2010
scenester

Hi there, I'm from Indonesia and currently work as freelance fashion writer and contributing some article to local magazines and webzine. Its actually start from my tumblr and you know being persuasive to fashion editors and finally some of them contact me and ask me to write pieces for them thus make my portfolio, while I'm currently searching for full time position.
The first thing I do well, trying to get close with fashion insiders via social network like twitter and facebook, and shamelessly promote myself by sending them a link to my tumblr, its just like: "hey u know I can write so why don't you give me a job?"

I'm writing for fashion features like the trend report, and usually I wrap it within two weeks.

03-12-2010
V.I.P.

I have merged this with a similar thread ... about submitting your articles to magazines.

Also ... here's a place you can start (no, I don't think they pay) but it will give you a byline, if they select yours: The Fashion Spot Accepts Submissions - Articles, Interviews, Streetstyle Photos, Etc.

07-12-2010
windowshopping

wow, this is a great opportunity...but first I need to discover if I have passion for writing on magazines or something related but I do love to write and share my 2 cents...anyway let's see what happens

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, freelance, journalism