How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-03-2007
backstage pass

Freelancers (Stylists, Makeup Artists, Photographers, etc.) - Marketing Yourself
so my question is aimed at fashion stylists, but could apply to anyone who does freelance photography, writing, etc.

If you're not represented by an agency, how do you get your name/portfolio/website out there besides networking? are there any websites or industry publications that are important to be listed in? i've tried some production websites, but often those are for film not print.

28-03-2007
tailored

you can make a self promotional piece for yourself...
like a direct mail piece or an oversized postcard...

getting involved with local organizations and events is also a great way to network and meet people that you can work for/with...

V.I.P.

As far as a place to put a listing ... I've not really found anything for print. It's all networking, marketing to ther people who hire and consistent and regular follow up. Probably the hardest part of the job for any creative person ... the business part of this biz.

04-04-2007
backstage pass

ok so i'm developing a postcard sized promo piece, what do you think of this? (geared towards more commercial clients rather than high fashion)

04-04-2007
front row

It looks mediocre. Just one suggestion-- change the font you have set for your name & info. It looks way too PACMAN circa the 1980s. Use a professional font that is more harmonious with your photos and your profession. You are not a software analyst. Comprenez-vous?

Last edited by marsmars; 04-04-2007 at 11:31 PM.
05-04-2007
Stitch:the Hand

smashin,you should get your portrait and work showcase on iqons.com. i cannot tell you the response i got there already for my project i am curating.

05-04-2007
More Old Skool Than You

www.creativehotlist.com

etre soi-meme

smashin, nice seeing you around after all this time, i like the card .. visit igons, scott is right

11-04-2007
backstage pass

thanks for the tip lena & scott!

11-04-2007
|/mirror queen\|

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsmars
It looks mediocre. Just one suggestion-- change the font you have set for your name & info. It looks way too PACMAN circa the 1980s. Use a professional font that is more harmonious with your photos and your profession. You are not a software analyst. Comprenez-vous?
Ditto

backstage pass

ok so, what types of people do you market yourself to as a stylist? Photographers? Ad agencies? are there any others i'm not thinking of?

16-04-2007
V.I.P.

For print work ... working fashion and commercial photographers, for sure. and ad agencies ... plus art directors and photoshoot producers, photo studios that both shoot for commercial clients directly and/or provide full studio services for other photographers, designers/retailers who do their own ads and catalogs (not produced by ad agencies, etc.). .... anyone who advertises or has a web site and uses models.

There are probably lots more ideas that I'm not thinking of ... perhaps someone else can add to this?

03-06-2007
backstage pass

what if you are looking to already have a job in fashion, but wouldlike to do some freelancing and/or help out at photo shoots and similar to gain more experience? in this case, who is best to contact and to get known?!?!?!

03-06-2007
scenester

I'm a freelancer - a writer, not a stylist, but the basic principles still apply. I've been told that the business is 60% marketing and 40% actually doing the work, and I think that's generally accurate. Go to local events related to your industry (fashion shows, boutique openings, etc.) and network, network, network! Don't be afraid to talk to people you don't know.

Check out this post from Guy Kawasaki's blog on the Art of Schmoozing. Not everything applies to fashion, but the advice is solid:

http://blog.guykawasaki.com/2007/06/...t_of_schm.html

Good luck!

03-06-2007
front row

That was great jazspin. I believe that single most important (and daunting) thing is making cold calls. You have to call photographers and say things like "i would love to swing by for a meeting" etc. Especially if you don't have a rep. Cold calls are key!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
artists, freelancers, makeup, marketing, photographers, stylists