How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-03-2010
windowshopping

knoc knoc?

22-03-2010
windowshopping

Canadian Fashion Job Search
I am a fashion design student at George Brown College in Toronto, Ontario and I am graduating this April. I have been trying to look for jobs for the past couple of months and I haven't really found much at all. I was wondering if any one knew of any good companies to look at who are hiring. I am willing to travel out of Toronto and also to New York when I get my passport. Any help/advice would be great.
Thanks!

Last edited by Ann Paige; 22-03-2010 at 07:57 PM.
22-03-2010
V.I.P.

Welcome to the Fashion Spot!

If you plan on coming to the States to work ... it's a very complex and long term process. You must find an employer who will more or less sponsor you to get a work visa. Both you and your employer must prove that you are skilled (as in have a professional reputation established) enough to be more desirable than the recent college grads who are US citizens or permanent residents. So ... that might have to come later, after you've established yourself in Canada.

But I found a thread with some sources for jobs in NY: New York Job Recruitment Agencies - Fashion - the Fashion Spot

You might also try all the fashion trade papers ... like WWD etc. ... the classifieds I listed a few of them some time ago in another thread ... but I can't find them now. I'll look some more and see if I can list anymore.

Last edited by BetteT; 22-03-2010 at 09:45 PM.
22-03-2010
V.I.P.

Wow ... I can't beleive I found it by using the search ... but I did ... first try!!

See here:
Classifieds for Fashion Jobs / Careers ... Where to Search for a Job?

And a few other threads that might interest you:

Reality Check for New Fashion Grads (an old article, but the theory is the same).
All about Resumes / CV's and Cover Letters for Jobs and Internships
Keeping in touch with contacts - post-internship/job/informational interview etc.

Last edited by BetteT; 23-03-2010 at 01:16 PM.
23-03-2010
fashion insider

Have you ever considered enrolling backstage at Toronto LG Fashion Week happening next week? That would be a great place to meet some of the designers and get their perspectives on finding a position in the design industry of Toronto.

windowshopping

Visual Merchandising internships in London... Help!
Hi all, I'm a first year visual merchandising student and am looking for internships at either high street fashion, department or designer stores but having the worst of luck getting people back to me! Does anyone have any contacts or tips to help me? I've tried places like Anthropologie and Harvey Nichols, but so far, nada. It doesn't really help they don't have a number you can call to chase up your email...

I'd appreciate any help I can get! Thanks in advance.

23-03-2010
V.I.P.

I suggest that you treat this as you would if you were searching for work ... and use a job hunting technique ... research. Call their head office to get the information you need and to find out who you need to speak to. Ask questions such as: Do you have an internship program? May I get a name and number of the person who I can speak to about it? Do you have a visual marketing department? May I have their number please?

Get department names, numbers, department head names, their numbers, mailing addresses ... any other information you can dig up about what they offer and who makes the decisions. Then call the applicable department and ask for more information ....

Emails are very easy to ignore ... especially if you've sent it to the wrong person or if it's in response to some sort of listing where it gets lost among hundreds of other applications. At least if you get a name of someone who actually does the selection of interns, you can snail mail a resume too, in addition to sending an email. Then you do a follow up call a few days later to see if they received it. It shows initiative and drive ... which should impress management. It could possibly make you stand out among all the others.

To ask here about contact information go to this thread and post the particular companies that you are interested in: I need Contact Info for Publicists / Designers / Showrooms / Magazines / Stores / etc

Last edited by BetteT; 23-03-2010 at 01:15 PM.
23-03-2010
windowshopping

Hi Bette, thanks so much for your reply! Really appreciate it. I'll check out that thread you've linked to as well!

I've tried that tactic with Selfridges, but the woman I was connected to was too reluctant to transfer me to the right dept, so she gave me another generic email address instead. I'll definitely try again, persistence is always the key, me thinks...

26-03-2010
scenester

Job postings for Hermes?
Does anybody know how to find out about job listings for Hermes? Since they are a very high luxury brand I would assume it's very word of mouth and/or they post things directly within the company, but do us outsiders have a shot at all?

03-04-2010
scenester

Bump. Anyone?

04-04-2010
V.I.P.

If noone responded, I would suggest you to directly contact Hermes HR !
If you live in France that would be easier, I suppose ...

One of my friend works overthere ... He was an outsider ... If you really want something, you'll get it !

04-04-2010
V.I.P.

Merged into the existing thread about help finding jobs.

I posted this link earlier in the thread, but wanted to point it out again ... just some places where they might be posting job openings: Classifieds for Fashion Jobs / Careers ... Where to Search for a Job?

04-04-2010
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinRocks View Post
If noone responded, I would suggest you to directly contact Hermes HR !
If you live in France that would be easier, I suppose ...

One of my friend works overthere ... He was an outsider ... If you really want something, you'll get it !
How do I contact Hermes HR? I mean, they don't exactly have an HR contact listing on their website lol

05-04-2010
windowshopping

Thank you Bette for all your tips!! IŽm going to read them all carefully.

Just for the record, in my case IŽll pay for all the visa costs of my program and I have IA&A's helping me with the visa, they are the sponsors.

Anyways it has been really hard to get a paid job. specially after the economic crises... but everything is posisble isnt it. IŽll keep trying... Just need enough money to survive in NY, not much

TIP: if you are are not american and wants a job experience program in arts or design, you can try them: http://www.artsandartists.org/index.html

23-04-2010
windowshopping

Opinions on Magazine Internships.
I'm thinking of applying for a few fashion magazine internships for next summer in the UK. Has anyone here ever worked for a fashion magazine before and whats the best magazine to recommend to me. I know theres Vogue, Elle, Marie Claire etc but they all have different ways of dealing with internships I've heard. If anyone could give me some advice that would be greatly appreciated. (Sorry if I didnt post in the right thread. I couldnt find one)

Thanks.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
employment or work or jobs or internships, fashion, industry, info