How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-12-2005
windowshopping

Seeking Agents in USA
We are an up and coming label based in London, UK looking to expand our distribution into the USA market.

We have developed a very good reputation for creating unusual designs at very affordable retail prices. Our range includes handbags, jackets, wraps and jewellery.

Please visit: www.kanishka.co.uk

to see more of our collection.

We look forward to hearing from you

From Kanishka

08-01-2006
windowshopping

Artist wanted for international DVD Magazine!
Folio DVD

Artist collaboration DVD Magazine are looking for submission from artist.

New DVD Magazine featuring international artists
Artists network for collaboration and exchange of ideas

Art. music. photography. films. words. new media. performance. industrial & fashion design.

If you are an artist. Get involved.

Looking for artists & writers to feature in next issue. For submission guidelines and information go to:

www.foliodvd.org or email submitfolio@gmail.com

Spring 2006 deadline : 1st February 2006

08-01-2006
windowshopping

Photographers submission wanted by International DVD magazine
Folio DVD

Artist collaboration DVD Magazine are looking for submission from artist.

New DVD Magazine featuring international artists
Artists network for collaboration and exchange of ideas

Art. music. photography. films. words. new media. performance. industrial & fashion design.

If you are an artist. Get involved.

Looking for artists & writers to feature in next issue. For submission guidelines and information go to:

www.foliodvd.org or email submitfolio@gmail.com

Spring 2006 deadline : 1st February 2006

08-01-2006
about to fall or fly

CALL: Re-Shelving Initiative Eyelevel Deadline Feb 1 06
----------------------------------------------------------------

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

EYELEVEL RE-SHELVING INITIATIVE: 2
An exhibition of artist multiples and publications

eyelevelgallery is seeking submissions of artist multiples and
publications for an upcoming exhibition. Submissions may include
ZINES, bookworks, sound pieces, post-cards, manifestos, comics, and
anything else that is fit for a shelf.

Submissions must be received no later than February 1st, 2006.
Submissions should include:

-a description of proposed work
- a sample or documentation of proposed work
-sale price (if applicable)
-C.V.
-SASE (to return sample if not selected)

Please send to ERI:2
eyelevelgallery
2128 Gottingen St. Halifax. N.S.
B3K 3B3 CANADA

eyelevelgallery is a non-profit artist run center which presents the
work of contemporary Canadian and international artists. For more
information look us up at: www.eyelevelgallery.ca

rising star

maybe some of you will be interesting in this........

VISIONARY EYE PRODUCTIO
Address: Studio 204 Spadina Ave.
Phone: 416-550-5162/647-403-2016
E-mail: connect@thevisionaryeye.com (connect@thevisionaryeye.com)

JOB TITLE CALLING ALL CLOTHING DESIGNERS!!!!
APPLICATION DEADLINE 12-Jan-06

DESCRIPTION
Social Butterflies (www.socialbutterflies.ca ) and Visionary Eye Productions (www.thevisionaryeye.com ) are hosting a charity fashion show at one of Toronto’s hottest new nightclubs, The Vegas Bar (www.thevegasbar.com)

We are looking for several clothing designers to showcase their designs on Thursday January 19th, 2006.

IT'S YOUR TIME TO SHINE!!

QUALIFICATIONS
* Can you supply 5 full pieces? (Top & Bottom)
* Can you supply 2 models? (if possible)
* Can you commit to Wednesday January 18th for rehearsal & Thursday January19th for the show.
If you said yes to ALL the above, we are looking for you!!

NOTES
Reply with a description of your designs and style.
Include ALL CONTACT INFORMATION.
Please respond no later than: Tuesday January 10th, 2006 (STRICT DEADLINE ENFORCED.)

(We appologize for the short notice, but please ensure you get back to us by the date mentioned above to be eligible to enter the fashion...We appreciate all those who apply and/or attend THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT)

METHOD OF SUBMISSION
416-550-5162/647-403-2016

09-01-2006
windowshopping

SOUNDSTYLE Call for Enteries (L.A. & Phx Designers)
CALL FOR ENTERIES:
SOUNDSTYLE, the fashion Infused Rock show which combines live bands with models on the runway, is one of the main events on the ROCKN THE SEAS cruise. This Royal Caribbean cruise, which sails from Long Beach, CA to Ensenada, Mexico on February 24-27, 2006, will be the ultimate vacation destination for any music/fashion enthusiast.

SOUNDSTYLE will take place daily in the main auditorium (sits 1,372) and we are currently looking for submissions of designers who would like to have their work on the runway during this unique event.

ROCKN THE SEAS features regional favorites the Gin Blossoms, The BlackMoods, Strange Young Things, The Tubes, Greyhound Soul, and many many more. Please visit www.rockntheseas.com for a full list of performances, activities, sponsors, etc.

If you would like your work considered for the show, which will broadcast by HDTV, please send an email to soundstyleaz@gmail.com with your name, contact information, line info., and 3-5 jpeg image files of your work.

Here's an article with a bit more information about SOUNDSTYLE:
http://944.com/phoenix/more.php?arti...c990a78d70a085

-SOUNDSTYLE
www.myspace.com/soundstyleaz

11-01-2006
windowshopping

Any STYLISTS in the AREA?????
Hello,

Im new to this forum having only posted a few times since i first found the site two weeks ago. Im a freelance fashion photographer based in NYC. I shoot very often with models from top agencies like DNA, IMG, NEXT, VISION, WOMEN, ELITE, FORD etc... and I've shot for publications like Trace and most recently V magazine.

While im finding success, im still finding a bit of difficulty in finding stylists. Most i come across are very busy on a daily basis with jobs.

Are there, by any chance, any experienced stylists here in this forum? Or stylist assistants who have showroom access and a desire to style thier own shoots?

You can see some of my work at the link below. I look forward to chatting and maybe even putting some ideas into a great shoot!

Cheers

C+
aka
Champion Afewerk
-----------
www.championafewerk.com

11-01-2006
V.I.P.

Well ... by "the AREA" ... I assume you mean NY? At least your info shows you from there. I'm a stylist but on the wrong coast (Los Angeles), so I"m not going to be much help.

I'd like to mention one thing that photographers often ask for but may not really understand the logistics of it. And this might be the reason it's difficult to get stylists for tests:

So many shooters want us to have access to high end and trendy fashion lines ... you din't say this ... it's just a general obsevation. It's just not easy for tests ... almost impossible. The shooters that I test with have learned to trust me to bring things that look higher end than they are and know that the "brand" does not make a great image ... it's how everything is put together, the model, the makeup, the hair and most of all the shooter's ability to get some drama. If you are interested, here's my work. http://www.musecube.com/BetteT/

By my experience .... I can get samples to use from almost any fashion house/designer/boutique. But ... and this is a big "but" .... it really depends on where the photos will be used. If I was lucky enought to be pulling for an editorial to be featured a national fashion magazine ... I'd have them beat down the door to lend wardrobe and accesories. If it's a local rag ... I can get less expensive retail lines and small boutiques. If I'm pulling for a test, that won't be seen in any real publication ... then they are just not forthcoming ... plain and simple.

So if you are shooting for (pre-approved) for a magazine or a high end e-zine and I can get a letter from them, stating what the designer will get in return (credits, plus an ad, maybe) I'll be able to pull from lots of designers. The higher quality (or more well known) the publication the better the designer that I can get. Simple ... all I have to do is do the research on what I want and ask them.

Now ... famous, top of the heap stylists will have lots of friends in high places and will be able to borrow as a favor many times ... but these stylists don't have to test ... they get enough great editorial pages to more than fill their books.

So what do most of us do for tests? Pull from beginner designers and small shops in exchange for pictures ... if the photographer will allow some usage rights for the designer. We beg, borrow and almost steal from friends and family. We buy in thrift shops. And we buy from name brand lines at department stores and return the items afterwards ... a bit tricky to do a lot. The stores track it all and stop "serial returners".

For clients ...paying clients ... there's a budget for wardrobe and the client usually keeps whatever is used.

So, shooters, if you want high end fashion, give us something like guaranteed editorial credits or want smaller designer/boutiques give us usage rights for the designer to use and we will get out there and find some great stuff for you. For tests ... well you just have to find a really resourcefull, knowledgeable stylist that can create the looks you want with little to no money and don't insist on name brands.

12-01-2006
windowshopping

Hello BetteT

I totally hear what you are saying and am very well aware of the issues you speak of. Simply put, pulling current high end for tests is alot more difficult than it is for commissioned editorial. Without a letter from a magazine, showrooms aren't gonna just hand anyone the designer's summer 2006 collection and say have fun.

I've no problem working with aspiring stylists who have a vision and sense for producing great fashion editorial. While every shoot may not be a commission, it doesn't stop a team from shooting a story and submitting it as spec editorial to magazines who regularly accept submissions. This is the best way for young photographers, stylists and muas to be published without being commissioned.

When the editorial comes in i personally prefer to work with a team i've worked with on prior shoots. I've come across stylists who have no interest in shooting for the sake of creating new work and are only interested in credits. On the other hand i've worked with teams who work regularly for high end publications from Vogue to Harpers Bazaar, but are more interested in shooting with a photographer who's work they appreciate, not so much for the credits, but for the sake of creating fresh new work, for the sake of creativity.
When the editorial comes around, that's the team i pull in for the assignment.

But yeah, for test it comes down to, as you said:

"find a really resourcefull, knowledgeable stylist that can create the looks you want with little to no money and don't insist on name brands."

Im game to meet and discuss ideas if anyone is the NYC area.
I realize that traveling all the way from the west coast is a bit much for a test, but if you are ever in the area feel free to drop me a line.

C

12-01-2006
windowshopping

Need help styling a 60's shoot asap
Hi guys

I am a final year photographjy student, and wanted to pick your btrains about ideas for 2 outfits for a female model on a 60's theme. It needs to look quite styled in the sense that it will be shot on location in london, and I want her to stand out against the "real" people, kinda a living doll concept, if that makes sense.

So far thinking about black hot pants, black and white thin striped top, red waist belt and chunky red accessories, she will need tights not sure wether to go for red and black shoes of some sort or black and red shoes?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Claire

12-01-2006
V.I.P.

Thanks, C.

Nice to hear from a shooter who understands this "catch 22" that stylists have ... sometimes it's no editorial work without the name brands and no name brands without the editorials. I'd love to meet you if I ever land in NY ... anything's possible.

For me, it's fun to collaborate and do creatives ... and it certainly can add something to the book when everyone does it right. I find that it sharpens my skills, so I do it a lot with shooters I like. But credits help you get work from paying clients ...so they are very important, too. Since I'm in L.A., I have to keep my book fairly commercial ... so some of my most creative.funky/weird stuff is just tucked away in my extra book ... just for the memory. Only my friends in this biz get to see those.

13-01-2006
windowshopping

project for emerging Canadian designers 15-25
There's a new Bias project for Canadians (living in Canada or abroad) ages 15 to 25. Participants recieve a kit with materials for making a garment. You can turn it into whatever you want (wearable or not) and the results will be photographed and exhibited across Canada and on the terminus1525.ca website. For more information, go to http://www.terminus1525.ca
The first exhibition will be in conjunction with the release of Worn Fashion Journal no.2. http://www.wornjournal.com

13-01-2006
windowshopping

Here's the call for submissions. In english and french

http://open.touchbasic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=183

15-01-2006
lovely but empty

You know what ... I think I might just enter this.

15-01-2006
about to fall or fly

thanks for the information, shapeofthings! this looks like a really awesome project!

i just wanted to let you know i'm merging this into the "wanted" thread in this section.

good luck everyone!

Tags
angeles, area, comments, fashion, internships, line, los, opps, post, seeking, startup, unpaid, wanted