How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-02-2013
V.I.P.

So ... to beef this new thread up a bit here's some other related information:

From CSM's site ( course description) but I think it nails down the process:
Quote:
Building A Fashion Collection

A collection can be any number of different garments, from a few exclusive pieces with different design elements to a large selection of varied styles. More important than the number of pieces is the point the collection is making - its fashion statement. In this course students will first establish the purpose of their collection and the market they are aiming at. The next step is to find a theme to stimulate a visual interpretation. An intense research process follows, where often quite vague ideas have to be pinned down and the direction of the collection established, resulting in the right choice of fabric, colour and silhouette. A storyboard is then put together to clarify your intentions and visually lay out the size and diversity of each story and of the entire range. Then the designing takes place. Designs are chosen, altered and redrawn; as they evolve a well-balanced collection is achieved.
And from mariapesin.com :
Quote:
The first step in any new collection is analyzation of sales. Before you go forward you need to look back. Study your previous styles. Look at what you sold and how well it sold in the stores. Then look at what didn't sell both in the showroom and in your retail stores. Try to figure out what worked and why it did and what didn't work and why it didn't. Then look at what your competition did that worked and didn't work.

The next step is to analyze what is trending in the fashion world in your market. If fur trim is big than you should incorporate it into your line. Whatever is new should be added as an element.

The next step in creating a collection is to come up with a line plan. Different companies have different formats. I use a somewhat basic one since I make coats. This is a commodities business. I am working with one category. I look at fabrics lengths and types when I make my line plan. A shoe company or apparel company would work differently. Sportswear might break it down by tops, skirts, pants with a proportion of tops to bottoms. Shoes would probably work by boots, flats, pumps, sandals.

I work by fabric, lengths and categories. First I decide my categories. I plan do to wool , leather, rain, and down coats. Than I plan on lengths and how many by each length. I decide the price points I want to hit. I plan what I need based on the history of what I've done before.

Now comes the fun part. Shopping and reading and studying for the collection.

Shopping entails going to all the stores from New York to Europe (if Europe is in the budget) and even other cities if possible. Finding inspiration in the stores by seeing what the other fashion houses are doing. Buying the items that you think can be useful in adapting for your line.

You also have to read all the fashion magazines and tear out pictures that you want to consider. There are trend services you should subscribe to that will give you ideas on where to take your collection.

I love this part of the process. You take all your inspiration and start picking fabrics and colors. Then you sketch the styles you want to run in each group. You sketch more than you need and then make a style board that shows fabrics, colors, and styles. The style board shows the how the collection should look in its final form.

Once your boards are done you can then look and see what you may be missing from the line. Editing down will help you make a cohesive line. If you don't love what you are looking at this is the place to start fixing. Once you are done here than it is on to making samples.
Since this is about creativity and ispiration and how to turn that into a collection ... I did not post more information about the technical part ... samples, pruduction, sales .... there are other threads for that stuff.

Last edited by BetteT; 20-04-2013 at 04:34 PM.

20-04-2013
V.I.P.

Moving your post to the appropriate thread, because this thread if about creativity ... not numbers and starting your own line.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cohesive, collection, creativity, design