How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-06-2007
backstage pass

prosperk, you give very sound advice. i'm a photo editor for a newspaper/magazine company so i'm somewhat familiar with the production, though moreso on the visual side rather than printing/distribution/ad sales. how can i learn more about this? do colleges offer classes on these sorts of things? i'm assuming perhaps if i pursued a degree in publishing or mass communications?

05-06-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashinfashion View Post
prosperk, you give very sound advice. i'm a photo editor for a newspaper/magazine company so i'm somewhat familiar with the production, though moreso on the visual side rather than printing/distribution/ad sales. how can i learn more about this? do colleges offer classes on these sorts of things? i'm assuming perhaps if i pursued a degree in publishing or mass communications?
Thanks! People helped me so I am just trying to pass it on. It seems that you are interested in moving from the creative to the business side of publishing or, at least, widening your scope of knowledge. Maybe you have your sights on an eventual publisher position with a firm or running your own show.

You could certainly pursue a degree in mass communications in order to build up a knowledge base of print media in conjunction with other meda like, of course, the internet, television and video/dvd/cd-rom etc... You would need to research the degree as those offered by some academic institutions are not as comprehensive as others. I presume you would also need to fit it in around your "day job".

I have to tell you that I started out in magazine ad sales - on motorcycle and skateboard titles - and learned more about it on the job in two months than any college could ever have taught me. If you're assisting someone who is keen to teach you in order to lighten their workload and have more time in the pub or whatever, you will learn fast.

The same goes for other areas like distribution and printing. You could pick up a lot of on-the-job knowledge - which tends to trump college knowledge - by working more closely with editors and art directors who might take you with them when they go to supervise the actual printing of an issue. As for distribution, make friends with your firm's distribution director, They're usually happy to talk about what they do to anyone who treats them as human beings! You'll be amazed how much you can learn in this way.

To put this knowledge to practical use so that you can refer to it on your resumé or CV, you could think about proposing "special projects", like photographic supplements, in your capactity as photo editor. They could be bundled with issues of titles your firm produces, or freestanding. The latter is good, although finance directors and other bean counters tend to be scared of freestanding "books", as they call them.

What about a special retrospective on an American photographer or artist: Walker Evans or Georgia O'Keefe? Or something on the building of the local railroads. Or something on the Apache? Or outlaw bikers? Whatever you think your boss will swallow! You're a photo editor...so you can dream up all kinds of ideas. Supplements can be sponsored, which is where calling advertisers comes in, Even liasing with your ad department will teach you a lot about their job. And then there are CDs and other media, covered by "special projects".

See what I am getting at? Why spend three years in college, slaving in some McJob and getting acne from the fast food grease, or popping speed to stay awake at night school, when you have the best college money cannot buy right there around you, in your workplace? Believe me, on a resumé, nothing beats on-the-job experience. That's the thing about publishing: it's one of the last true meritocracies! You can either hack it or you can't. Later on, you could pick up a degree in communications to "formalise" what you would pretty much know already.

Just my ten centsworth...

Rgds,

PK

Last edited by prosperk; 05-06-2007 at 02:21 AM.
30-07-2007
V.I.P.

wow, just found this thread!

Very informative...
i'd love to have my own magazine one day...

so right now I'm only working on the 'online magazine' type thing cause of my age...
but I know someone who could help me get experience at POP magazine etc, so I may try that soon...

30-07-2007
V.I.P.

I've thought about emailing lots of smaller publications...there are so many magazines out there & who knows...

25-09-2007
windowshopping

Starting my own magazine
Hi everyone,

I am planning to start my own magazine next year and I decided to do some market research. This is a survey I made, it would be great if you take it cause TFS is exactly my demographics. I promise, it's not very long and boring!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...42yEQOCg_3d_3d

Im just starting out, so would be greatful for any tips & advice.

25-09-2007
V.I.P.

^I think there already is a thread for this in Careers and Education...
I'm trying to look for the link... but I guess a mod would be stronger smart to find this...

25-09-2007
V.I.P.

here it is for you...
started by Karina...
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ine-50582.html

i've done your survey... hope this helps...

Last edited by BerlinRocks; 25-09-2007 at 09:00 AM.
25-09-2007
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinRocks View Post
here it is for you...
started by Karina...
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ine-50582.html

i've done your survey... hope this helps...
Thanks a lot` ! So far, it's pretty interesting. Im suprised how many people are interested in Physics.
Mods, feel free to merge or move my thread.

06-10-2007
windowshopping

Here's my advice for those who are still thinking about starting a fashion magazine. My apologies if some of this has already been covered! I did it myself back in '04 and have never regretted it, but so many people fail because they don't have a solid plan in place before they head into production. Which brings me to my first point....

Before you start anything, know what it is that you want to achieve. I can not stress this enough. You need to do your research and determine who your target market is. What is the tone, style, voice, of your magazine? What makes your magazine different from the glut of competitors out there? Why should people read your publication? Come up with a launch plan -- what needs to be done in order to launch the first issue? Do a one year plan -- where are you going to be one year from the launch date? Do a 2 year plan, a 5 year plan, a ten year plan. Know what you need to do before you start doing it.

Second, build a solid team to help you get it done. DO NOT DO THIS ALONE -- YOU WILL FAIL! At a minimum, depending on the size of your pub, you will need an advertising manager, an art director, a photo editor, and an editor-in-chief. You also need to build an incredibly strong team of freelancers, work with the best team that you can afford. If this is a fashion magazine, you need strong photography. The photography is far more important than the editorial -- at least for a fashion magazine. The photography is going to be what sells the magazine, not the copy. Work with an experienced team that you can rely on.

Which brings me to connections. You need to have them. A lot of them. You need to be able to network and get the word out there that your magazine is in production. Ask for referrals and recommendations on who you should be working with. I would almost venture to say that you should only hire or work with people that have been referred to you. Networking is how you're going to make this magazine fly. Most of the photographers, writers, MUA's, hair stylists, etc. that I've worked with have all been people that I have met or people that have been referred to me. I've met people at parties who, for instance, their brother's best friend worked in the advertising department at Chanel -- and ended up landing me an account with Chanel. You never know who you're going to meet.

Speaking of Chanel, we should probably talk about financing and advertising. You need $100,000 in your bank account to be able to produce the first issue. If you don't have that, you need to get it from investors before you start doing anything. Also, have a strong budget and business plan in place befoire you start production. You need a strong, experienced advertising manager on your team that knows the ins and outs of the industry, has a multitude of connections in the industry, and knows when sales cycles start and end. I recommend that you start selling ad space for the first issue 6 months prior to the launch, and never, ever offer discounts.

Final point is promotion and circulation. You need to be able to get your magazines in the hands of your readers. A previous poster recommended Disticor in Canada -- I highly recommend them, although I'm not sure if they service the states. The magazine I launched is a free mag and we do all of our own circulation, so I'm not the best person to ask about circ contracts. But you do need to have a firm circulation plan in place. In terms of promtion, this for me is the fun part. I enjoy creating a buzz, and it's important to remember that your readers have to have your magazine on the tip of their tongue in the weeks leading up to your launch. You may want to look into entering into promotional and marketing partnerships with other companies. I believe someone mentioned a deal they did with the Gap where they gave away a free bag with each subscription -- that is gold. You can look into partnering with record labels, fashion houses, film studios, the opportunities really are endless. Be creative and make sure that whaever you choose, if anything, is unique to your readers and really speaks to your demographic and enforces your brand in their minds. Events is another method that we use quite often for my magazine and is an easy way to keep our brand in the minds of our key readers. And also reinforces our relationships with advertisers through sponsorship opportunities.

I think the most important thing to remember is to be prepared, have fun, and be financially secure. Create a unique, quality product, and everything will fall into place. I'm here if you need more info!

06-10-2007
rising star

so your income and mag financing comes only from advertising?

06-10-2007
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxxxfast View Post
so your income and mag financing comes only from advertising?
Startup financing is mostly from investors, although you should be able to attract some advertisers pre-launch. Once you are up and running, the majority of your running capital will be based upon advertising. Subscriptions may provide some working capital, but that will be minimal compared to advertising.

06-10-2007
backstage pass

This thread is amazing!!!!

Great ans useful informations...

12-10-2007
windowshopping

i think it all sounds like great advice, but it all sounds like advice if you are going to start a massive magazine, which you probably are not..
you don't need heaps of cash to start something small, just some clever people to help you out.
I have an online magazine and it used to be in print.
I think online is a really good way to start, its a good way to build an audience, and it takes time to work out what you are doing and what your aesthetic and stuff is, so at least online you can change things and you don't have so much pressure on you.
anyway, either way is nice!

16-10-2007
rising star

A fashion blog like mine..

It´s free, public and really addictive...

Check it! :p

www.coolandchic.blogspot.com

I wanted a fashion amgazine but I found blogger...

front row

I'm working in a magazine now and I'd like to learn somewhere how to make a magazine because all here is done so unprofessionally. Can you give me some links where I can read about this? I'd like to know about how to organize my time, when do what. How to search for an advertizers, how to plan the volume of texts, for ex. when should I know about what AD and texts are in next month issue? A month before or may be two? In fact, I am in charge of all the photo shootings for a mag (not only related to fashion) but want to know more about all stages of making a magazine.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
magazine, start