How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-08-2005
front row

How do I start my own magazine?
Do any of you make your own magazines? I am thinking of creating my own (online) as both a fun hobby for me, but also to use in the future as an example of my writing, fashion illustration, creativity, etc... I want to make it a really artsy fitness magazine! It will be a cross of NYLON and Fitness RX for women! Sounds unusual, but I think it will be fun to try.

here's a page from NYLON's site that I like

http://www.nylonmag.com/fashionista/index.html

what I like about it is the use of illustration and collage...it gives it a homemade feel.

Anyways, does anyone have magazines they have made they could share or know of any you've heard about?

11-08-2005
windowshopping

http://supernaturale.com/articles.html?id=80

24-09-2005
rising star

Love this idea! It sounds very interesting and inspiring! My friend was trying to start one over the summer but it fell through...Don't give up! And keep us posted

25-01-2006
V.I.P.

This is a great idea. I have only made some comics with friends and we published them into books, but some look just like a zine...

09-11-2006
Distract Me...

Starting a Fashion Magazine
I am curious as to what are the steps needed to be taken to found a new fashion magazine?
I am purposefully leaving little information about myself and idea so that I gain a more open response from other members.
I really appreciate everyone's opinions.

V.I.P.

The single, most important thing is getting some investors with some serious money behind you. It can cost a small fortune to get any paper magazine up and running. It's an astounding amount of money just to put out one quality issue. Without big money ... it will probably fail because you won't be able to compete with the established magazines.

Subscribers are very important to have, but it's not the way magazines make money. Profits are made by getting advertisers but you must have a quality product (glossy, full color, great editorials and articles, etc.) and a decent circulation number ( subscriptions and single issue sales/giveaways) in place to be able to attract advertisers.

So that means you must produce a couple of issues without measurable income and at great expense, give lots of free subscriptions and magazines away in order to get those numbers and to produce buzz about your magazine. And that takes money and lots of it.

After you have a slick looking magazine in hand and a good sized circulation ... you are in the position to send your sales force out to get contracts with the advertisers so you can begin to recoup your losses and pay back your investors.

I don't have any idea about the cost or the numbers ... other than what I was told by one person that was starting a magazine. She told me that she needed to raise about $100,000 (US) to get her first issue out. She didn't get the money, BTW ... so the magazine never came to fruition.

I don't know much more than that ... but I hope this helps.

11-11-2006
Distract Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT
The single, most important thing is getting some investors with some serious money behind you. It can cost a small fortune to get any paper magazine up and running. It's an astounding amount of money just to put out one quality issue. Without big money ... it will probably fail because you won't be able to compete with the established magazines.

Subscribers are very important to have, but it's not the way magazines make money. Profits are made by getting advertisers but you must have a quality product (glossy, full color, great editorials and articles, etc.) and a decent circulation number ( subscriptions and single issue sales/giveaways) in place to be able to attract advertisers.

So that means you must produce a couple of issues without measurable income and at great expense, give lots of free subscriptions and magazines away in order to get those numbers and to produce buzz about your magazine. And that takes money and lots of it.

After you have a slick looking magazine in hand and a good sized circulation ... you are in the position to send your sales force out to get contracts with the advertisers so you can begin to recoup your losses and pay back your investors.

I don't have any idea about the cost or the numbers ... other than what I was told by one person that was starting a magazine. She told me that she needed to raise about $100,000 (US) to get her first issue out. She didn't get the money, BTW ... so the magazine never came to fruition.

I don't know much more than that ... but I hope this helps.
BetteT that was really informative. Thank you so much!
You've addressed one of my major concerns which is attracting advertisers and getting serious money behind the magazine. Thanks for giving me a realistic look at that side of business!

front row

Major advertisers and their agencies will support low circulation magazines if they are seen as ending up with 'the right people'. However, it takes time to achieve that cachet and you have to be aware of when annual advertising budgets are set. You also need really sharp ad sales people. And never, ever give away space free or for low rates. It's better not have advertising in a magazine than to offer advertisers a free lunch because you will be unlikely to be able to persuade them to pay for lunch, so to speak, afterwards. They'll always expect free or ludicrously cheap space.

You'll need about £100,000.00 Sterling to be in with a chance, to finance not just the production but also the kind of quality content and contributors who will make the difference between a comparitively amateur effort by a group of fashionistas who think they know about the media and a slick, professional end product. You'll also need to learn about the murky world of distribution. Anyone can produce a half-decent mag, depending on their contacts book and how much money they're prepared to spend but the tricky thing is getting it out there on the shelves, in a marketplace dominated by major publishing houses who will try to sabotage you if your magazine is any good.

I don't want to come across as negative. Your goals are entirely achievable...as long as you remain focused and keep your wits about you. There are various ways of achieving your goals but I'm not here to write a guide to launching magazines! Good luck with it. Tip: stay away from the men's magazine market - men's style, that is - because it's on a downward slope at the moment.

PK

Last edited by prosperk; 11-11-2006 at 06:54 AM.
11-11-2006
V.I.P.

Great info, Prosperk.

That reminds me of what I was recently told about groceries and distribution ... that the manufacturers (cereal companies, coffee companies for a couple of examples) actual pay big money for shelf space and certain positions , like the eye level shelves and the end displays cost more. Something I just learned about ... and I would not be surprised if it was not pretty much the same for magazines.

Last edited by BetteT; 11-11-2006 at 03:15 PM.
12-11-2006
etre soi-meme

great advice Bette and Prosperk

i'll just add that apart from all that you mentioned, i believe that one essentially needs 'field' experience like working in a magazine before even dreaming to take a new title out
as for low circulation, the field is already overe saturated..

giving it a try by 'tasting the waters' via a print zine can sure help a lot

Last edited by Lena; 12-11-2006 at 01:47 AM.
12-11-2006
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
great advice Bette and Prosperk

i'll just add that apart from all that you mentioned, i believe that one essentially needs 'field' experience like working in a magazine before even dreaming to take a new title out
as for low circulation, the field is already overe saturated..

giving it a try by 'tasting the waters' via a print zine can sure help a lot
That's exactly what I'm going to do...I want to work full-time for a major magazine for 5 years then start my own magazine, but if I don't start my own magazine, then open my own clothes store....I have a whole list of back-up plans and taking as many courses to learn new things all the time while at Uni (for my back-up plan careers)...

12-11-2006
tfs star

You could try starting an online magzine first, it requires little money and the audience can be huge.

have a look at http://www.neetmagazine.com/ . they adertise on various websites, like live journal and myspace, for ed's, adverts ect. to put in them.

good luck!

12-11-2006
V.I.P.

and why don't you start with a homemade fanzine?! just to see if what you're doing appeals to people?!

if you have good connections, you can go in your town favourites shops, "friperies" (second hand shops?), etc. ask them to let you shoot some clothes. then find a friend to shoot it. have some friends who would model for you. etc.
then ask some arts students to do the graphic design, the name, logo, etc.
and then sell it in your local bookshop.

i've already had the idea but never get the courage!!!
so if you have karina....GO FOR IT! and good luck!

12-11-2006
Distract Me...

Oh my gosh! Everyone's being so wonderful and supportive! And your advice is so solid!
I know it's going to be a struggle, but with the right people with me, hopefully it'll come to fruition and you guys at TFS will be the first to know!

etre soi-meme

^ that's what i mean by 'print zine' it can be homeprinted and bided
we had an art magazine like that, totally homemade, 1500 collectable and numbered copies per issue, with unique contributions by local artists and street heroes.
we had a small distribution in chic boutiques, bookstores and art galeries ad we even had advertisment pages to keep us going

it lasted for about two years, then we got bored
but yes, it can be homemade and fun

a webzine (which also can attract sponsoring/ads) is also an idea to help one in creating a buzz and getting connected to a web of international contributors

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
magazine, start