How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-03-2008
trendsetter

How Important are Grades when Applying to to a Fashion School?
so here's the thing. i think i'm failing math. and what i really want to know is, how much do fashion schools care about grades when applying? i know a portfolio is important, but what about grades? i mean, i have A in all my other classes but math is really not my thing. i'm kinda lost. is good grades important when applying to a fashion college? or is a portfolio more important?

09-03-2008
tfs star

I guess overall good grades might help you get in above someone else if there's lots of competition for places, but I think they're more interested in your portfolio and grades in relevant subjects such as art, textiles etc.

front row

i always get this vibe that most schools pay little attention to grades..? most of the emphasis seems to be on portfolio and interview... i mean for art & design schools of course. as long as you don't actually fail any of your subjects you should be fine (?)

09-03-2008
trendsetter

Here they take marks from your top 6 courses, so if math is your 7th course and the mark is low, they won't even look at it for consideration for acceptance.
Usually math isn't a prerequisite for arts programs.
Overall averages must be high to meet the program cut-offs. Even with an amazing portfolio, you need the marks.

10-03-2008
backstage pass

I don't know at which of your stated locations you go to school but if it's Stockholm, I just want to say that you do NOT want a "samlat betygsdokument" - which it what you get if you fail math on a basic level (I think).
You never know where life takes you, and it's always good to have graduated high school with a real diploma. I had the same problem with phys ed, but I put in some extra "assignments" (i.e. laps around the stadium) and passed it in the end.

10-03-2008
?

^^ I didn't know that, and I've been pretty ignorant at the current state of my maths b grade.. better see my teacher!

trendsetter

Eh, it doesn't matter that much if you're doing a design course but most design courses now are taught with a bit of how to run your business, so, yes, you better NOT fail maths.
Of course, if your portfolio is otherwordly amazing, they'll take you no matter what. But the competition is fierce and places are few and many talented people apply... So yes, don't fail if you can.

10-03-2008
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondes View Post
I don't know at which of your stated locations you go to school but if it's Stockholm, I just want to say that you do NOT want a "samlat betygsdokument" - which it what you get if you fail math on a basic level (I think).
You never know where life takes you, and it's always good to have graduated high school with a real diploma. I had the same problem with phys ed, but I put in some extra "assignments" (i.e. laps around the stadium) and passed it in the end.
lol my teacher knows i'm failing and he never mentioned anything about "samlat betygsdokument". what is it? =S i don't even know how my swedish grades are going to "work" when i move to new york. ugh everything is just so confusing.

trendsetter

i'm going to apply to both FIT and parsons, but also FIDM.. and i was thinking about emailing them or calling, to ask them about how important the grades really are. but i can't seem to find any email or number on their websites :S

front row

A friend of mine had a good portfolio but Parsons told her straight up in her interiew that the thing that was keeping her from being accepted were her low SAT scores. Tough schools like FIT and Parsons do take account your GPA. You don't need a 4.0 but they want to know that you have the abilitly to take tough courses and keep up with it. I had a 3.4 and got into FIT.

10-03-2008
trendsetter

oh ok ^ thank you!

backstage pass

Basically, if you fail anything that is a "kärnämne" (Swedish A & B, Math A, etc, google it) I think you don't get a "gymnasiebetyg" but a "samlat betygsdokument". It means that you didn't "really" graduate from high school, you just have a bunch of courses. Whether it makes any difference out in "the real world" depends on what you do, but it's better to be safe than sorry with these things.

So Stella, you're safe. But if you put in a little effort, I know anyone can get a G in math B. I'm rooting for you

10-03-2008
trendsetter

^ geez i better not fail math then.

backstage pass

This could be useful for you - about translating your high school diploma: http://www.skolverket.se/sb/d/483

10-03-2008
trendsetter

yes thank you =)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
applying, fashion, grades, important, school