How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-05-2004
trendsetter

why is asia such a lucrative market for models? why do they make so much more over there versus here in the US and Europe? and how much US dollars are we talking about in the differences between asia and the west? is it different type of work, more catalog?

sorry for so many questions. i'm just very interested.

And the world will live as one..."
-John Lennon

22-05-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by marc jacobs addict@May 22nd, 2004 - 10:45 pm
why is asia such a lucrative market for models? why do they make so much more over there versus here in the US and Europe? and how much US dollars are we talking about in the differences between asia and the west? is it different type of work, more catalog?

sorry for so many questions. i'm just very interested.
The $ 20,000 is in US dollars up front. Is it that hard to get the models to go there or are they so picky on who they want, that they are willing to pay that? How much is the cut for the agency if they're willing to give the model that much?

23-05-2004
V.I.P.

I don't think they are picky in Asia at all, you take a look at some of the girls working over there from the US/Europe and trust me, they are pretty plain, nothing that special IMO.

Plus, they arent all that strict about height (it's easy to get work even if you're say just 5'7).

I think the reason they are offering so much is because 1. They are willing to pay and 2. The demand is high because there aren't that many western models working there (most likely because of percieved language barriers, etc).

If any aspiring models are finding it difficult to get work in the west, I say head east, it's an excellent opportunity.

23-05-2004
fashion elite

whoa...I never realised it was THIS bad

fashion elite

Many models in mags here in Malaysia are basically Plain Janes.Sheesh,some of them are even shorter than 5'4,can you believe it? No standard or exclusivity really

front row

I was offered to go to Japan, my agent at the time said no to the offer, she's a bitch who wanted me to do bad in the buisness. Anyway, man I should have said yes and gone! I would have made a lot of money. If a agency in Japan want's a model then it's guarenteed that model will get jobs and well payd, and! I was supposed to get 10.0000 dollars just for getting there, the agency said it would not be put in my account, just payment for coming and being able to buy food etc And they payd the fare and they said it would not be put on my account! so 10.000 dollars, free fare and THEN plus all the extra I'd make from magasines and shows. 10.000 dollars is not a lot in Japan, but they wanted me for a month and I would have maybe spent about half of it in food etc, and if I wouldn't have gotten any jobs then come home with half the money and still have a lot. I can't belive how stupid I was!! I was ony 15 and had no idea what was best and trusted the hag that was my agent.

But japanese agencyes are very strict on the models mesurements, if a model has added one kilo, one or two cm on what ever part of the body they are likely to send you back home, but that depends on the agency.

scenester

Quote:
Originally posted by Betty Boop@May 23rd, 2004 - 8:08 am
I was offered to go to Japan, my agent at the time said no to the offer, she's a bitch who wanted me to do bad in the buisness. Anyway, man I should have said yes and gone! I would have made a lot of money. If a agency in Japan want's a model then it's guarenteed that model will get jobs and well payd, and! I was supposed to get 10.0000 dollars just for getting there, the agency said it would not be put in my account, just payment for coming and being able to buy food etc And they payd the fare and they said it would not be put on my account! so 10.000 dollars, free fare and THEN plus all the extra I'd make from magasines and shows. 10.000 dollars is not a lot in Japan, but they wanted me for a month and I would have maybe spent about half of it in food etc, and if I wouldn't have gotten any jobs then come home with half the money and still have a lot. I can't belive how stupid I was!! I was ony 15 and had no idea what was best and trusted the hag that was my agent.

But japanese agencyes are very strict on the models mesurements, if a model has added one kilo, one or two cm on what ever part of the body they are likely to send you back home, but that depends on the agency.
You're right, Betty Boop, BUT... I was in Japan twice, wih two different agencies. First when I was 17. I had my contract for 10.000 US dollars. Unfortunately, I didn't get any jobs because of my skin. The climate in Japan is so wet and my skin is very sensitive. My face was full of small red spots so logically I went back home. My second trip to Japan was two years ago, contract 15.000 $. I was worried but my skin took it OK. Anyway, usually in your contract is written, that if you're not gonna get in 10 days AT LEAST 3 jobs, they can cancel your contact and send you home. That's what happend to me. They told me I could stay for the rest of the time (50 more days), but with no contract... I decided to go back home.
Your contract was for 10.000$, so it means that if you got some jobs and stayed in Japan for the whole time (usually 60 days) and you made less then 10.000$, they would give you those 10.000$ anyway. But you HAVE TO work!! No one gives you money just to be there...
Maybe I didn't understand you right (my english is not that good ), so then I apologize to you

23-05-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by sinneres+May 23rd, 2004 - 12:05 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sinneres @ May 23rd, 2004 - 12:05 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Betty Boop@May 23rd, 2004 - 8:08 am

You're right, Betty Boop, BUT... I was in Japan twice, wih two different agencies. First when I was 17. I had my contract for 10.000 US dollars. Unfortunately, I didn't get any jobs because of my skin. The climate in Japan is so wet and my skin is very sensitive. My face was full of small red spots so logically I went back home. My second trip to Japan was two years ago, contract 15.000 $. I was worried but my skin took it OK. Anyway, usually in your contract is written, that if you're not gonna get in 10 days AT LEAST 3 jobs, they can cancel your contact and send you home. That's what happend to me. They told me I could stay for the rest of the time (50 more days), but with no contract... I decided to go back home.
Your contract was for 10.000$, so it means that if you got some jobs and stayed in Japan for the whole time (usually 60 days) and you made less then 10.000$, they would give you those 10.000$ anyway. But you HAVE TO work!! No one gives you money just to be there...
Maybe I didn't understand you right (my english is not that good ), so then I apologize to you
[/b][/quote]
Is it easier to find jobs there though?

23-05-2004
V.I.P.

How in the world can a 17 year old make it on her own, with the culture so different and the language barrier? How would you know what to steer clear of and what jobs to take? No amount of money in the world would be worth it if a young model got into a dangerous situation she could not get out of and had no one to turn to.

23-05-2004
front row

sinneres: well, why should I go to japan on a contract with a agency and not work? I never said I didn't want to work, I'm just suprised that they would pay 10.000 and not put it on my accaunt, the agencies everywhere else let the models pay for every cent.

model_mom: I was 13 when I went alone to Milan for 10 dais I don't speak italian. I guess my parents just knew me well enough to trust me, I never got in any trouble, didn't go to the parties, never tried to seem lost, only asked for directions in a crowded place etc. and the agency looked after me and put me in a model appartment where there was a guard in the lobby and he was supposed to check on me, see if I came in late or came in at all. And age isn't everything, but what the person has learned and how mature the person is sais a lot, and going out there alone really helped me to learn to take care of my self and I'm really glad that my parents alowed me to go, but I had to pay a little prize... they were calling me constantly to check on me

fashion icon

One of my freinds went to Japan for modeling and got attacked the 5th day she was there.

She was only 17 at the time! I cant believe her mother let her go.

Poor soul is still afraid to leave her house because of the incedent.

24-05-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Betty Boop@May 23rd, 2004 - 9:04 pm
sinneres: well, why should I go to japan on a contract with a agency and not work? I never said I didn't want to work, I'm just suprised that they would pay 10.000 and not put it on my accaunt, the agencies everywhere else let the models pay for every cent.

model_mom: I was 13 when I went alone to Milan for 10 dais I don't speak italian. I guess my parents just knew me well enough to trust me, I never got in any trouble, didn't go to the parties, never tried to seem lost, only asked for directions in a crowded place etc. and the agency looked after me and put me in a model appartment where there was a guard in the lobby and he was supposed to check on me, see if I came in late or came in at all. And age isn't everything, but what the person has learned and how mature the person is sais a lot, and going out there alone really helped me to learn to take care of my self and I'm really glad that my parents alowed me to go, but I had to pay a little prize... they were calling me constantly to check on me
I was in Milano for 2 months when I was 15, by myself. I turned 16 two/three weeks later. Newly 16, might as well have been 15. I was crazy homesick the first week and could not believe my mom would let me go by myself.

But my parents know me, and they knew that I wasn't going to do anything extremely stupid.

It really depends on the girl....

24-05-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by model_mom@May 23rd, 2004 - 4:15 pm
How in the world can a 17 year old make it on her own, with the culture so different and the language barrier? How would you know what to steer clear of and what jobs to take? No amount of money in the world would be worth it if a young model got into a dangerous situation she could not get out of and had no one to turn to.
My friend Lisa went to Japan to model. She had a minder (that's like a personal assistant) and a driver. She speaks Japanese really well though so she was able to do quite well. She got a skincare campaign and such that paid like 15,000. I think they look for quite plain caucasian girls in Japan because that's what a lot of asian girls aspire to look like.

24-05-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by CelineChic@May 23rd, 2004 - 9:04 pm
One of my freinds went to Japan for modeling and got attacked the 5th day she was there.

She was only 17 at the time! I cant believe her mother let her go.

Poor soul is still afraid to leave her house because of the incedent.
I'm shocked based on what I know about japan

I see girls daily in NY for whom this must be the equivalent of Tokyo for an American girl. They seem ok. Although I will never forget the poor girl I saw during the blackout who had clearly _just_ arrived to the city, had a paper with her castings written on it or something, and looked extremelly confused.

10-06-2004
windowshopping

On the topic of the models having a class action suit against the big agencies, you can get more info on:
www.elnr.com/class.html

That law suit has been settled and a lot of the big agencies already paid out a lot of money.

The state case may still be going though.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, average, expect, model, paid, post, read, rules, thread