How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-05-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariann View Post
Does any one have the list of clients such as Vogue and H&M where it shows you how much they pay? I can't remember were I first saw it.
jezebel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg -.jpg (118.3 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg --.jpg (164.6 KB, 45 views)

07-05-2013
V.I.P.

Notice how French Vogue paid $125 and US Vogue paid $250 ... not very much at all. Which has been my point all along .... magazines don't pay in money (very little, in fact) ... but they pay with exposure and up the model's portfolio. That way, the model becomes famous and her agency can negotiate a huge amount for commercial/advertising campaigns. And notice how they take back the advance and all the money that they spent on her ... every little thing, including a FecEx charge most likely for sending her portfolio out to someone. Those expenses are hers ... not the agency's.

Of course ... this is not the average model ... this is the one in a thousand who actually gets to be in Vogue. The average model still has the expenses ... but doesn't get the big campaigns.

Last edited by BetteT; 07-05-2013 at 01:37 PM.
23-05-2013
front row

lepetitcouturier Thank you for posting those two documents, I actually didn't see them until today.

What is an FecEx?

23-05-2013
V.I.P.

FedEx is a shipping/delivery company in the US (short for Federal Express). Most likely they sent someone the model's portfolio for review and consideration .... and the model must pay any shipping, delivery or mailing charges that the agency incurs on her behalf.

Last edited by BetteT; 23-05-2013 at 11:32 PM.
24-05-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
FedEx is a shipping/delivery company in the US (short for Federal Express). Most likely they sent someone the model's portfolio for review and consideration .... and the model must pay any shipping, delivery or mailing charges that the agency incurs on her behalf.
Okay I didn't know such a thing, seems unfair for the model to pay for the shipping charges too. I am assuming this gets sent to clients or companies?

Also on those documents there was something about a bank charge, what is that if I may ask? I'm based in the UK so pardon me if I don't know what these things are.

24-05-2013
trendsetter

The bank charges the customer for sending money to another person/account.

25-05-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariann View Post
Okay I didn't know such a thing, seems unfair for the model to pay for the shipping charges too. I am assuming this gets sent to clients or companies?

Yes ... they would send her portfolio to potential clients who are looking for models. It's like sending a CVA to apply for a job. Only it has to be done over and over again, since a model usually only works a day or two at each job. And most of the time it's just sent back without a job offer. So, it goes out again ... and again ... and again.

Next ... about what is "fair" regarding expenses. You need to understand that the agency does not employ the model, nor do they pay her. The clients pay her ... and she pays the agency. It's not a regular job. A model is, in fact, self employed. Therefore she must pay for all her own expenses. If an agency spent money on her behalf, she must pay them back.

Here's how it works, if you are interested:

If the model did not have an agent, she is on her own completely. She would have to pay all her own expenses to promote herself. She would have to pay for photos for her portfolio, buy the actual book, pay to have a site on-line, pay to have her portfolio shipped to potential clients, pay to have comp (or zed) cards made, pay to mail those out to potential clients, get herself out to casting calls and go sees, bus fare, cab fare, pay to travel to other cities to go to casting calls, pay hotel bills, if she stayed over, pay to have her hair and nails done (she's got to take care of the product, which is her self) .... and so on. It's her own business ... and there are costs to promoting herself.

But, it's to the model's advantage to hire an agent ... so she has a better chance of making it to the "big times". So ... she goes looking to find a good agency who want's to "represent" her.

Most aspiring models think that they are applying for a "job" when the apply to an agency. But the model is actually hiring the agency. A model and an agency enter into an legal agreement (sign a contract) ... only if they both are willing to work with each other ... mutual consent.

Here is what an agency usually does for the model:

- They would advise her on her career moves, advise her on her look (keeping it current, making her look as marketable as possible) and make sure she's keeping her portfolio looking marketable too.
- The agency has the contacts and knows who is hiring and can send her out to casting calls and other potential go sees .... connections she would not have if she was working on her own.
- The agency will mail and ship her promotional materials for her without charge ... but they bill her for any money they spend on her behalf. At least they don't charge her for their time to do all of this. If she didn't have an agency, and she got busy, she would have to pay an assistant to do all of this for her.
- Any company who is interested in hiring the model, must go through the agency.
- The agency negotiates the rate that she will be paid ... on her behalf ... hopefully getting as much as possible.
- They keep the books for her too and send an invoice to each client when she has worked. If the payment is late, they follow to collect. Then the client sends the agency a check (usually 60 to 90 days after the job is done).
- The agency does the bookkeeping and takes their commission right off the top, then determines how much money that the model owes them for expenses and deduct that too. Then they send whatever is left over to the model.
- However, if the model does not work, sooner or later, she must still pay them back the money they spent for her.

It's interesting to note that for this promotional, negotiating and bookkeeping work they do, plus providing advice and guidance ... they actually are paid nothing. But ... they do get paid when she actually works. They are usually paid about 20% of what she takes in. Commission ... paid by the model.

So, remember that an agency only gets paid, if they succeed in getting her booked. But ... whether or not she finds work .... the model always pays for all her own expenses. The agency never pays for anything on her behalf ... she pays to promote herself. It's her business ... she has only hired them to help her.

Last edited by BetteT; 25-05-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, average, expect, model, paid, post, read, rules, thread