How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-03-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by model_mom
If they are really busy,there is no way they can keep up. Ali was out of school for one and a 1/2 years and she almost missed out on her chance to graduate with her class. We tried to keep up but it's not possible when you work all the time. Some girls/guys gamble that the payoff will be bigger than the need for education but the chances to hit it big are few and far between.....and then what???
I absolutely agree, I was scouted in London twice when I was 14 and the second time when I was 16 but I wouldn't have even dreamt about dropping out of school and pursuing it fulltime, especially since I would have had to move. I just began modeling here in Finland. How long did it take everyone here to get their first jobs after starting at a modeling agency?

15-03-2005
rising star

Quote:
all of you that went to japan when you were like 15 or 17-- what did you all do about school!? i'm so confused. i miss school some times for work but never like a month!
One of my friends went to Asia for two months a little while ago for modeling while school was still in session. She had all of her homework e-mailed to her. She worked pretty much every single day, yet she still managed to keep up in all of her classes!

15-03-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion_victim
I read an article about Gemma Ward which said she can earn $30,000-40,000 per runway show. So do topmodels, like Gemma and Daria really earn that much? Wow, they are millionaires then!
Seriously?!? That's a ridiculous amount...

And the world will live as one..."
-John Lennon
15-03-2005
windowshopping

I heard of models getting paid more if they look jershy, but of course not everyone can!

15-03-2005
princely

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaygaygay
I heard of models getting paid more if they look jershy, but of course not everyone can!
jershy?

15-03-2005
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend
jershy?
I think the photographer Richard Vaa'llje (pronounced 'valve') coined the term, 'jershy.' It basically means versatility not at the expense of staying exactly the same.

08-04-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypresses
In Asia, you ratherly see modles in the show, instead they are being recongized by doing massive amount of ad and tv commercial. Seeing a complete clip of local designer is very hard, simply becasue people doesn't care about it, Asia people want Italian designe, Paris big name, and GUCCI, LV, Chanel Monogram is everygreen on the market becasue it is the best way to show off your money. and that's remember, there are tons of people in Aisa who is welling to pay anything that's "import" form fashion capitals.

Modeling doesn't pay much for an Asia model, but most of the Asia Model in Asia is model/actor/singer/host, modeling is just a step for they to get into entertainment, and "background" helps a lot, like a model who has been in business for years and suddently become "the most beautiful women" in her early 30s, this is almost unheard in North America, Why? check out what her dad and mom did for the President.

i know who you mean.....
I totally agree with u!
people in asia don't focus on modeling.(except for Japan)........
they care more about the gossips (models who hang out with some celebrity
or some Big guys)
and the models are actually "model/actor/singer/host" people.......
as u said above...

25-09-2005
front row

money
im just wondering...again...lol

how much do male and female models get paid at the top agencies?

and how much do male and female models get paid that arent at the top agencies?

25-09-2005
trendsetter

ok, it isn't so much the agency rather the jobs the persons getting, and then it really depends. For example the top girl, like Karolina Kurkova, Natalia Vodianova, Gemma Ward and Daria Werbowy have 6 figure day sums for editorial, and get paid millions for campaigns. eg. Gemma got $20 mil for the Obsession Night ads. But then it goes down quite a bit.

For parades in Australia they usually get $300 a show in Sydney, but then the top models get paid A LOT more than that...

Mags like Vogue will generally pay better than others, but it really depends. Once you've got the exposure and a good agency like IMG, Women or DNA (for the girls) you'll get paid a lot more

front row

ok thanks for the help

25-09-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by irresistable_loz
ok, it isn't so much the agency rather the jobs the persons getting, and then it really depends. For example the top girl, like Karolina Kurkova, Natalia Vodianova, Gemma Ward and Daria Werbowy have 6 figure day sums for editorial, and get paid millions for campaigns. eg. Gemma got $20 mil for the Obsession Night ads. But then it goes down quite a bit.

i dont know where you got 20 mil from, but i dont think it was that much. i heard from different sources more along the lines of 1 mil. which is still a huge amount.
oh and a lot of the time they get hardly anything for editorials....

Last edited by petal80; 25-09-2005 at 10:09 PM.
25-09-2005
windowshopping

i agree with petal80, $20 million sounds really high. and i always heard that models don't get much for editorials and do them more for the exposure than the money.

25-09-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetaryn
i agree with petal80, $20 million sounds really high. and i always heard that models don't get much for editorials and do them more for the exposure than the money.
i heard the same about editorials...that they make like $250 tops...EVEN models like KK and Gemma.

but top models do command a lot on the runway from what i hear. $10,000 for the uber-models? idk if thats right. anyone can confirm?

MONAJ.NET IS BACK: updated May 19
twitter.com/beyondrecovery
25-09-2005
User Friendly

I hear sometimes even top models get paid with clothes by the top designers... or a combination of half and half sometimes (clothes & money) to do their runway

I think Naomi Campbell for example did Anna Sui's debut collection and she only got paid with clothes from the collection

25-09-2005
V.I.P.

I heard that you can basically pay off your college fund if you're one of the girls in the runway for Dior Couture...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, average, expect, model, paid, post, read, rules, thread