How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-05-2008
windowshopping

the same question!!
anyone can help me out with the question: how can inviduals get access to the fashion weeks?
many thanks!

17-05-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHUONG iHUONG View Post
how can inviduals get access to the fashion weeks?
They can't and that's the best answer I can give you. There are exceptions of course and those are that you have someone on the inside hooking you up OR you are a celeb.

Fashion shows are in essence for buyers and the press and all the invitations are issued by the PR firm representing the designers.

If you happen to be some insignificant journalist there are possibilities to obtain an invitation to lesser known designers, you can forget all about the heavy hitters like Lanvin, Dior and Burberry since they always manage to fill all the seats.

Ultimately the golden conquer is becoming best buds with PR people, they are ultimately the gatekeepers who handle all coomuncation between designers and the press. Want an invitation? Ask, at times there are a free slots over and are in some cases handed out to who ever asks but this is usually a few days before a fashion show is due.

Last edited by homeboy; 17-05-2008 at 08:30 AM.
13-06-2008
windowshopping

the PR thing is quite true indeed.. I work at a PR boutique agency and well it is our job to decide who gets to come to our events whether its an after-party or a runway show or an opening to a new store.

17-06-2008
windowshopping

I always wanted to about that too ? But I know that my friend , who attends F.I.T. was able to get in fashion week shows for free. . .as long as she showed her school's ID. So it's not really only the PR's decission . . fashion school students are also able to attend.

17-06-2008
V.I.P.

you clearly mean New York Fashion Week, right? not the european shows.

20-06-2008
windowshopping

Yes , only Fashion Week in NYC lol

20-06-2008
V.I.P.

yeah, thought so. cuz the european shows are extremely hard to get into. someone from a french PR company offered me to get me into the shows, but charged 500 Euros+ for each show and extra for the after show party. i was like "HELL NAW. i ain't gon be payin to watch some show where i might not like any of it."

28-06-2008
front row

and if you want to volunteer for the fashion week, who do you have to contact? pr agency's? so like this you would have to contact every designer's pr? or someone else? and is it possible to volunteer not only for those fashion students but for everyone? and, also, when you are a volunteer do you have to work only during the fashion week or some time before and after too? cause im not living in france, but i could and would come to paris for the fashion week if only i had the chance to volunteer there...

28-06-2008
V.I.P.

Information about volunteering for the fashion week shows in this thread about Volunteering for Fashion Week Shows. Ask there if you have futher questions.

03-07-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_a_Licious View Post
yeah, thought so. cuz the european shows are extremely hard to get into. someone from a french PR company offered me to get me into the shows, but charged 500 Euros+ for each show and extra for the after show party. i was like "HELL NAW. i ain't gon be payin to watch some show where i might not like any of it."
Haha I that so? What a bunch of greedy PR wankers. You should have snitched to designers they were representing. I couldn't imagine that they have permission to exploiting demand by selling entry to fashion shows. That's blesphemy especailly for that much money which could easilly get you a nice bag of clothes.

Margiela's Muse

I will be the featured correspondant for a major international fashion and beauty site, and I've applied for my press credentials with IMG a few days ago. Since I expect to be approved without problem, should I go ahead and start requesting invites from my PR contacts right away or shall I wait til I am officially listed in the press book?

14-08-2008
front row

I think you get invites easier if you are officially listed in the press book. IMG answered me 7 or 8 days after I applied so maybe you should just wait a few more days.
On the other hand....if that fashion site is really that "major" there shouldnt be a problem getting invites without being listed.

loaded and locked

this thread should be called `how to get tickets to a fashion show`

anyway, I am looking for some advice from people who actually attend them...I have been going to Japan Fashion Week for a number of years, but will be attending NYFW this year for the first time. I`m going with a Japanese media outlet, through the Japan-alotted PR spaces.

I am assuming JFW and NYFW differ immensely in setup...I`m the only one with any fashion week experience and in charge of a rather large crew, so any tips are appreciated

1. How late do shows actually start?
..and how early do people show up/ how early before a show do the tents open up? How much time should we allot between shows (assuming they are in the tents, actually)
2. how bad is traffic, really? any tips for getting around?
3. any tips for scoring party invites/club events etc?

feel free to respond here or PM me if you prefer not to go public...would love to meet some pros in NY, perhaps I can rope you into the program..

18-08-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishahoi View Post
this thread should be called `how to get tickets to a fashion show`

anyway, I am looking for some advice from people who actually attend them...I have been going to Japan Fashion Week for a number of years, but will be attending NYFW this year for the first time. I`m going with a Japanese media outlet, through the Japan-alotted PR spaces.

I am assuming JFW and NYFW differ immensely in setup...I`m the only one with any fashion week experience and in charge of a rather large crew, so any tips are appreciated

1. How late do shows actually start?
..and how early do people show up/ how early before a show do the tents open up? How much time should we allot between shows (assuming they are in the tents, actually)
2. how bad is traffic, really? any tips for getting around?
3. any tips for scoring party invites/club events etc?

feel free to respond here or PM me if you prefer not to go public...would love to meet some pros in NY, perhaps I can rope you into the program..
1. Look at the FW schedule for when the respective shows start. Bare in mind that it's not uncommon for shows to commence 10-30 minutes later than scheduled.

When you show up is entirely up to you. If you're new in the business or city you might want to arrive 15-20 minutes before the show starts to drink some champagne and mingle with crowd. If you're the busy type of person and have already been to countless of shows during the week, then you arrive just 5-10min before the show.

2. I don't live in NY and can therefore not answer the question on traffic. All shows aren't held in the same location. Some of the bigger designers chose to host their shows int heir head office or some place else. The key is to create a schedule because in the end you'll not have enough time to make it to all of the shows. So creating a schedule that will allow enough time for you to travel to and from shows is the best approach.

3. Again networking and mingling is the key if you're new int he city. Arriving 20min before the show and mingling will result in you getting to known where after parties are to be held.

loaded and locked

thanks homeboy, its a big help!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
attendance, fashion, ins, outs, shows, week