How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-01-2010
backstage pass

Fashion Week
I was wondering who from the fashion industry get to go to fashion week? Editors, fashion directors, who else? Stylists?

Thanks in advance!

17-12-2010
windowshopping

Getting a press pass for London Fashion Week
I would appreciate any advice here. I am a photographer and would love to cover a runway show or two for LFW. I applied (via a photo agency who I shoot for) last year only to be told that there wasn't space for me

I have looked at the application form for press accreditation and, as well as a sponsoring letter from a magazine etc, you need a published photo from last years LFW. How anyone achieves this if they have never shot at LFW before is a mystery to me.

So, does anyone have any tips, or, (grovel grovel) if anyone is involved in a show and could help get me an invite I would be very, very, very grateful.

Thanks in advance

Adam

27-02-2011
tfs star

Paris Fashion Week (Invites)
Hello guys!!!
Soo here's the deal i'm going to Paris for Fashion Week FW 11.12! And i was wondering if one of you guys would have invitations to any show! Soo just that i could watch for once in my life a real fashion show!
Like Chanel, I would like to experience Karl's magic since he will leave sooner than later the house!

If you have PLEASE I beg you give just one!!! It would mean the world to me!
HELP ME!

Love ,
Miguel Almeida.

27-02-2011
V.I.P.

Fashion Week passes don't just get handed to you... you need to be in the biz, get invited by the designer and your name needs to be on their list at the door to get in. I'm assuming it's that way in Paris, too ...

Last edited by BetteT; 27-02-2011 at 07:02 PM.
01-07-2011
scenester

If you can't afford to spend a lot of money on one designer's clothes and you are not yet 'in the business,' is there any way to see any shows? I'd like to visit New York during Fashion Week one season, but I'm only fifteen and don't have the resources some people here have. If I wasn't able to see any shows, do you think it would still be worthwhile to go just to see the people that are attending, not to mention models? I understand that it's more realistic if you have more resources, but please share if you have any helpful insight for me.

02-07-2011
V.I.P.

You could volunteer to work the shows, but you won't be actually watching, most likely. Ticket taking, dressing models, crowd control, running errands ... things like that, maybe. Most likely you would have to be 18.

We have a thread about that ... search using keywords: volunteer, volunteering, week shows

02-07-2011
scenester

Thank you for helping me out. I've seen the thread you mentioned and I will definitely be keeping it in mind for future reference. I just wish there was a way to get in now. There are limitations at my age, I guess.

19-12-2011
windowshopping

How I attend NYFW
I have been to fashion week twice now, and I'm only 16. I hope I can be of some help!

- You never 'just get invited' to a show. I'm a blogger and all the shows I have attended were from brands that I have blogged about. I tend to blog about a brand and then email the PR people and start forming a relationship. From there, I ask to be kept updated about news and events. If you're lucky they will put you on their invite list. If not, it doesn't hurt to ask. You'd be surprised where just simply asking a question can get you! I have been invited to the Oscar de la Renta showrooms simply because I just asked if I could after blogging about Oscar. It was great! I highly, highly doubt that they will put you in the front row, but if it's a brand I truly love I would have no problem standing. (hey, they say th photographrs pit is the best seat in the house anyway. haha)
- Age is just a number. You are never too young! I attended my first fashion show at 15.
- I try to attend the Independent Fashion Blogger conference every 6 months. You make the BEST contacts there. There is so much going on surrounding the conference and the attendees, you might score an invite to something! (also, it's held at Milk studios. The Vena Cava show was in the same venue while I was there!) My friend was there with me, and she ended up sitting next an employee from Proenza Schouler who invited her to the show! She also got invited to Diesel!
- Never beg. Asking is fine, begging is not. After I already have a relationship with a brand and I know NYFW is coming up, I can tell them I would love to photograph the collection or do a write up of the show on my site. Letting you attend their event should be beneficial for both parties.
- Academy of Art University has their fashion show at Lincon Center, and if you write an essay they might let you attend if you win. I have won twice now, and it's a fantastic show with top models and celebrities.
- Network like crazy. I got invited to the show of a designer because she was a friend of a friend. Networking is key!
-Don't turn up your nose at young designers. New designers are much more willing to let you attend. It's good press for them and fun for you! You can report about the new talent online.

Remember, if you don't get invited to any shows, don't stress! I love just chilling out at Lincon Center just because of the atmosphere. (This is how I befriended an editor at NYLON. We were just sitting on the fountain and started talking.) Shows aren't all they are cracked up to be. Yes, it's nice to feel invited and 'on the list.' But the people can often be so catty and pushy. Attending a 15-min show is quite a lot of hassle! In the end, remember the real reason for fashion shows in publicity for the brand. If you are actually determined to see a collection, just wait until it comes out on style.com a couple min after the show. I hope that helps. Good luck!

-Justine

Last edited by Flashbang; 29-11-2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Do not post link to your site.
19-12-2011
V.I.P.

Thank you, ilovegrey. It's great information for anyone who is interested.

Welcome to the Fashion Spot!

19-12-2011
tailored

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovegrey View Post
I have been to fashion week twice now, and I'm only 16. I hope I can be of some help!

- You never 'just get invited' to a show. I'm a blogger and all the shows I have attended were from brands that I have blogged about. I tend to blog about a brand and then email the PR people and start forming a relationship. From there, I ask to be kept updated about news and events. If you're lucky they will put you on their invite list. If not, it doesn't hurt to ask. You'd be surprised where just simply asking a question can get you! I have been invited to the Oscar de la Renta showrooms simply because I just asked if I could after blogging about Oscar. It was great! I highly, highly doubt that they will put you in the front row, but if it's a brand I truly love I would have no problem standing. (hey, they say th photographrs pit is the best seat in the house anyway. haha)
- Age is just a number. You are never too young! I attended my first fashion show at 15.
- I try to attend the Independent Fashion Blogger conference every 6 months. You make the BEST contacts there. There is so much going on surrounding the conference and the attendees, you might score an invite to something! (also, it's held at Milk studios. The Vena Cava show was in the same venue while I was there!) My friend was there with me, and she ended up sitting next an employee from Proenza Schouler who invited her to the show! She also got invited to Diesel!
- Never beg. Asking is fine, begging is not. After I already have a relationship with a brand and I know NYFW is coming up, I can tell them I would love to photograph the collection or do a write up of the show on my site. Letting you attend their event should be beneficial for both parties.
- Academy of Art University has their fashion show at Lincon Center, and if you write an essay they might let you attend if you win. I have won twice now, and it's a fantastic show with top models and celebrities.
- Network like crazy. I got invited to the show of a designer because she was a friend of a friend. Networking is key!
-Don't turn up your nose at young designers. New designers are much more willing to let you attend. It's good press for them and fun for you! You can report about the new talent online.

Remember, if you don't get invited to any shows, don't stress! I love just chilling out at Lincon Center just because of the atmosphere. (This is how I befriended an editor at NYLON. We were just sitting on the fountain and started talking.) Shows aren't all they are cracked up to be. Yes, it's nice to feel invited and 'on the list.' But the people can often be so catty and pushy. Attending a 15-min show is quite a lot of hassle! In the end, remember the real reason for fashion shows in publicity for the brand. If you are actually determined to see a collection, just wait until it comes out on style.com a couple min after the show. I hope that helps. Good luck!

-Justine
THIS.

yes, it is fun to attend the shows and see the spectacle and the clothes, but at the end of the day, it is work...and it helps to having been working towards this the entire year...
all of your suggestions are very good...
i have also attended the IFB conference, which is a great place to make connections...
emailing the PR people from a brand is another great way to garner an invite (it helps if you've been promoting the brand throughout the year, and not just emailing for an invite around fashion week)...
yes, you will probably end up in standing room, but as a show is closer to the start time, the PR team/volunteers do have people come down to fill in seats, so you may end up in the 2nd or 3rd row...

Last edited by Flashbang; 29-11-2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Removing link.
20-12-2011
windowshopping

Thanks very much, BetteT and Kimair.
It really is a lot of work! Sometimes I just stand back and think about whether it's actually all worth it or not. Sometimes it is so much easier to just stay home!
kimair, are you planning to attend in February? I would love to meet you!
It helps to keep the goal of fashion week in mind all year. Sometimes I just generally like a brand, and it's a really nice surprise to get an invite from them when I wasn't intentionally aiming for one.
Good point about the seat filling. When I was at Academy of Art in September, I went from the 7th row to the 3rd row because a volunteer bumped me up. I got really lucky! I have heard stories of people who snagged a second-row seat just because the attendee didn't show up it wasn't filled. It's good to be really alert!

28-12-2011
windowshopping

As ilovegrey posted earlier about getting into shows as a blogger - I've learned that this may be the best route to take to get into shows. Get in touch with designer's PR people and they can get you in easily. I have a friend who is a blogger and contacted Rodarte's PR people and got to do Rodarte F/W '11 just like that. I've signed up for February's NYFW through the school already in early December and I just started blogging a few months ago so I'll try to get into as many shows as possible and let you guys know how it goes. It is definitely, definitely about connections and networking. That's what this whole industry is consisted of and build upon.

I hope my comment helped answer some questions. I'm still new to all of this, as well.

Last edited by BetteT; 29-12-2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Splitting post between this and the Volunteering for FW Shows thread.
29-12-2011
V.I.P.

NICO ... I"m splitting your post between 2 threads ... just so you know. The volunteering paragraph is being moved to the thread abour Volunteering for Shows ... and I'm going to leave your second paragraph here ... because it's about attending shows as a fashion blogger.

thanks for the helpful information about both things.

05-01-2012
V.I.P.

how much in advance do you send a request to attend a show? talking here about Paris rtw. thank you

29-11-2012
scenester

how many seats average are at a fashion show?
I know this is a vague question but how many seats are in a well known Designers fashion show...
lets say for the larger ones like Chanel how many people are invited?
and then how many for mid-sized ones?
And how many for the smaller ones?

any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
attendance, fashion, ins, outs, shows, week