How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-07-2005
Stitch:the Hand

But to add,English is the universal language and most times in business English will be spoken for International clients. But it's good to have something up one's sleeve just in case though.

30-07-2005
V.I.P.

english, italian and french...

31-07-2005
Of too many minds

Italian, Chinese and Japanese.

{*princessimp.blogspot.com*}
31-07-2005
backstage pass

English, Mandarin, French then Japanese.

Sometimes I am really glad I'm from Singapore because it's where I pick up both English and Mandarin from young in school.

31-07-2005
windowshopping

hmmm.
i know english and chinese, and i would learn french. i'm a fashion design student! most fashion stuffs are linked with french. im trying to learn it myself too, www.about.com has a french website u can search for where u can learn some french if you want

hmm chinese would be cool for u too, cos china markets are opening up isnt it

31-07-2005
loaded and locked

i'm curious: as for the italians and the french, which are least likely to be able to speak english? i'm sure nearly everyone does, but if it were a choice between the two, which langauge would be more useful? (calling all europeans!)

01-08-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishahoi
i'm going to say chinese...seriously i'm thinking about taking it up, though it seems like a big pain...
Totally agree with you on that one. Chinese is going to become a dominant language on a global scale. Now I realise that there are 1 billion++ people who speak the language (mandarin), so it could be quite obvious but the language is spoken within their own country. The Chinese market is opening up to the influences of free markets. There are going to be heaps of potential in the fashion industry.

By the way. My hubby speaks mandarin chinese (he is not Chinese) and got offered a well paying job almost instantly in China. It is the language of the future.

01-08-2005
front row

^ The problem with Chinese is that there are so many dialects - for example in Shanghai many locals don't speak clearly in Mandarin because they are so used to speaking in Shanghainese (a dialect). But I definitely agree with you on the growing importance of China in the fashion industry.

02-08-2005
windowshopping

Hey Girls ummmm I guess boys too lol
I'm new here
I speak english,russian, swedish and my language uzbek
Well i kinda had to learn swedish cuz i live here now so that makes 4 languages (hey I'm not showing off) lol
Anyways I think any language u choose is gonna help u in any ways
Its good to be able to speak in many languages.

03-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend
French then spanish, japanese and chinese, theres alot of growth oppourtunity now adays, but mandarin not cantonese, because cantonese is only useful within Hong Kong.
I agree with this order of language choice (of course on the presumption we ALL speak english already ). But just a question ... if you speak 1 romance language e.g. Spanish, would it not be a lot easier then to just pick up others like Italian or French? I'm learning Spanish on my own and I find that I can at least make out simple Italian.

And I'm glad to see some people here finally zeroed in on the fact that Chinese has many dialects, the most "international" one being Mandarin of course. But like YBF said, Cantonese is the dialect in HK and is harder to learn than Mandarin. As I understand it ('cos I speka neither Mandarin nor Cantonese) in Mandarin, a single word has 4 meanings depending on the pitch and tone used whereas in Cantonese there are 8 meanings attributable to a single word! And apparently if you know Mandarin, it becomes a lot easier to pick up Japanese too so perhaps I'd choose Mandarin first before Japanese.

03-08-2005
backstage pass

I'd say French or Spanish would be more useful if the category you're dealing with is fashion.
But then, Chinese is practical because a large majority of people in Asia speaks Chinese. i heard it's hard to learn, but then I wouldn't know because i speak it lol!

04-08-2005
rising star

Spanish, French, Chinese, Arabic are among the top five.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishahoi
i'm curious: as for the italians and the french, which are least likely to be able to speak english? i'm sure nearly everyone does, but if it were a choice between the two, which langauge would be more useful? (calling all europeans!)
French would be more useful, it's spoken in other countries other than just france, (Switzerland, Canada, parts of Africa) whereas Italian is only spoken in Italy.

front row

the problem with french, strictly from the point of view of marketing yrself, is that so many other applicants from america are going to list it as a second language owing to the number who take some in college or high school--most of whom come out knowing very little french, but that's another matter.
a lot of people here have mentioned chinese, i think they're right, what a huge growing market, maybe you should try that, but it's hard!

Last edited by berkeleygrrrl; 05-08-2005 at 08:01 AM.
07-08-2005
front row

def. italian & spanish.. its so easy to learn both languages at the time...
french is totally useless in the fashion business unless you have a perfect accent (at least in france)..
chinese or japanese take too much time..

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, language, study