How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-08-2005
windowshopping

French or Mandarin definetely. Japanese would also be desirable.

10-08-2005
rising star

my friend showed me an interestng article, it points out the following:

to learn chinese you are looking at at lease 2200 hours hard work
to learn spanish or french you are looking at lease 480 hours hard work

in US, Spanish is the largest second language, than it goes
1. spanish
2.French
3.Germany
4. Italian
5. Japanese
6.Chinese
7. Russian
8.Arabic
9. Korean

i hope this somehow helps the people who is struggling to find what language is praticle, i'll try to post the article when i get my copy, good luck!!

11-08-2005
front row

well, there's this; i may have posted it before. it's for americans who want to be diplomats, but is probably a pretty guide to how difficult different languages generall -- well, for people whose first langage is english:

http://www.nvtc.gov/lotw/months/nov...pectations.html

have fun

front row

I know spanish, catalan, english and I'm learning french at the moment. I'm just 17, so I'll learn more languages, japanese or chinese could be very interesant! (and so difficult too! hehe)

Last edited by Ivee_; 12-08-2005 at 08:22 PM.
16-08-2005
rising star

If you are interested in merchandising or a career in buying the upcoming language would certainly be mandarin. Even luxury brands are producing products in China. French is a lovely language and would serve you well in the fashion industry.
Frankly if you can speak English, Spanish, Arabic, and mandarin than the world is at your finger tips(that covers most of the world population, no?)

17-08-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingQueen
If you are interested in merchandising or a career in buying the upcoming language would certainly be mandarin. Even luxury brands are producing products in China.
That's a very good point. I have a friend who works for an apparel mass production and when they find something in a magazine like an expensive lace they would contact their suppliers in china and lo and behold they will find you cheap and faboulous lace.

I know also how to curse in:

French
Italian
Russian

17-08-2005
front row

China is the fastest growing (and potentially largest) luxury goods market in the world, so I'd reccomend Mandarin.

18-08-2005
windowshopping

Spanish
French
Italian
Russian

Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingQueen
If you are interested in merchandising or a career in buying the upcoming language would certainly be mandarin. Even luxury brands are producing products in China. French is a lovely language and would serve you well in the fashion industry.
Frankly if you can speak English, Spanish, Arabic, and mandarin than the world is at your finger tips(that covers most of the world population, no?)
Even though I do not work in the fashion industry, I was thinking along the same lines. I live in a state where Caucasions are now in the minority, and it's not unusual for people to speak Spanish in front of me. My pitiful high school Spanish is no help at all. Generally they can speak English perfectly well enough--but they do not want to be understood. Especially since owning a house, I've regretted not knowing Spanish--before that it was really only an issue in restaurants.

So coming from a place of complete ignorance, I would say ... who do you expect to be interfacing with? Fabric mills in Italy? Specialty couture workshops in France? Manufacturers in China? And who is most likely to speak their own language in front of you even though they know English?

19-08-2005
front row

I agree with the person who said that it really depends on who you expect to be working with.

Additionally, keep in mind your own skills and interests. There are some people who naturally have a better aptitude for learning languages like Chinese than languages like French/Italian, and vice versa, because the skills involved in learning Chinese are slightly different than those needed to learn French/Italian. Also, which languages (and which cultures) fascinate you and interest you? You'll be much more likely to practice a language outside a classroom and keep up with it if you enjoy doing so.

I'd also add that no matter what foreign language you learn, it really pays to perfect your ENGLISH skills if you intend on working in the United States OR for any company with a strong American presence. You'd be surprised how valuable--and how RARE--someone that can write a clear, professional, organized, well-researched and convincing, letter or report (that needs minimal editing) in English is to companies, fashion or otherwise.

19-08-2005
V.I.P.

Latin! Helps you understand portuguese,spanish, italian, french!

19-08-2005
scenester

i'm curious: as for the italians and the french, which are least likely to be able to speak english? i'm sure nearly everyone does, but if it were a choice between the two, which langauge would be more useful? (calling all europeans!)
I think the italians would have more problems with the english language, as it bears absolutely no relation with it, whereas french is a little bit similar to english. As for the more useful language, it's a tough choice...i'd say both.

blue

its a tie between french and chinese...
but im gonna say chinese, because a lot of people in europe can speak pretty good english while not a lot of people in china can speak good english..
besides. if you learn chinese it will be easier to learn japanese and korean later on

fashion elite

In fashion industry is mainly Italian and French...Think Houte Coutre or ready to wear clothes or bags and shoes...I mean even French labels have factories in Italy ...so there is a need of communication...If you learn French its easy to pick up Italian( Ofcourse spanish is easier to pick the italian with) but in general French and Italian are sought as the most desirable language in the industry..I have a friend from China she is in the fashion business and she is learning French...she is working with established desingers..and they prefer European Languages specifically Italian and French...

19-08-2005
FC5
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank9
i'm curious: as for the italians and the french, which are least likely to be able to speak english?
Ah, good idea but wrong question. Which are more hacked off if you can't speak their language? Easy, the French (and I fully support them for it).

Make an effort and generally they are wonderful to deal with. But the worst possible way to start a conversation in Paris is to use English without making at least an attempt at French.

The Italians on the otherhand seem unwilling to even let you speak Italian if they can speak English themselves.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, language, study