How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-02-2008
V.I.P.

Dubai don't necessarily have you learned Arabic for many of them speak English well since majority of them have British education or have residences there. It's only for terrorism will arabic is a mandatory foreign language that needs to be learned. But if you have some knowledge of Arabic it certainly won't hurt.

06-02-2008
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartarse View Post
Dubai don't necessarily have you learned Arabic for many of them speak English well since majority of them have British education or have residences there. It's only for terrorism will arabic is a mandatory foreign language that needs to be learned. But if you have some knowledge of Arabic it certainly won't hurt.
Wow. You just took the most rapidly spreading language and reduced it to terrorism. I'm stunned.

It's the language of the largest religion in the world, the core of the fastest growing demographic in international wealth, and with certain areas finally opening and being more receptive to western influences: a key area of western business expansion, mostly in relation to the obscene and fabulous wealth.

As I said before, but will restate, English is the unofficial language of the entire industry: by far. My friend is in Paris at Chanel and doesn't speak more than 'no', yes, and where's the bathroom, basically, in French. She uses English at all times.

Arabic has been asked of me in two interviews, both for luxury brands, but not couture because the spread and desire to go into Dubai and Jordan is pinnacle right now.

fashion icon

Quote:
.^..and this is not just for designer houses, it's for all facet of the industry (that correlates with fashion).
In general, I have seen more Russians and Arab up front and on the front rows of the shows recently than any other nationality. They're coming to equal representation as British, American, French, and Italian fashionistas, and almost more willing to spend. This is true at brands like Chanel, Dior - both in RTW and HC, but also very intimate at brands like Bottega Veneta, Pringle of Scotland, Simonetta Ravizza - the last two for their very fine winter wears or furs on SR's part.

So I wasn't addressing just designer houses, but in general working in the industry. In PR Arabic and Russian are being stressed. In marketing, also. On the practical side of business administration those two are key languages with English, French, and Italian - but French and Italian depend on where you work.

V.I.P.

Quote:
It's only for terrorism will arabic is a mandatory foreign language that needs to be learned.
Wow, that is the most ignorant thing I've read on these forums thus far.

06-02-2008
V.I.P.

i'm not here to compete who has more of an influence, associates, degrees, education ,knowledge of such prestige. I too have friends and closed ties in Paris as well... globally ,if you will. however, I'm not discounting Arabic, but i won't put them as a must learned language at this time. IT certainly help if you speak it. in fact if you're multi-trilingual it helps. period.

And as far as terrorism, if you applied to any government jobs with high pay a knowledge of Arabic is a must in ones resume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightley View Post
Wow. You just took the most rapidly spreading language and reduced it to terrorism. I'm stunned.

It's the language of the largest religion in the world, the core of the fastest growing demographic in international wealth, and with certain areas finally opening and being more receptive to western influences: a key area of western business expansion, mostly in relation to the obscene and fabulous wealth.

As I said before, but will restate, English is the unofficial language of the entire industry: by far. My friend is in Paris at Chanel and doesn't speak more than 'no', yes, and where's the bathroom, basically, in French. She uses English at all times.

Arabic has been asked of me in two interviews, both for luxury brands, but not couture because the spread and desire to go into Dubai and Jordan is pinnacle right now.

06-02-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katherine View Post
Wow, that is the most ignorant thing I've read on these forums thus far.
that is not ignorant. that is what the UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT seeks. you can seek that through their employment section if you want.

07-02-2008
rising star

english then french and maybe russian... if a buyer then prob chinese

07-02-2008
V.I.P.

What? Last time I checked, the US did not promote the Arabic language as being unworthy of learning because of that very reason you stated.

Last edited by katherine; 07-02-2008 at 12:05 AM.
07-02-2008
fashion icon

We're talking about fashion: the most practical language in fashion. Not the US government. How did they even become part of this convo? Backpedaling?

Fact of the matter is Arabic is a good, strong language on any resume - within and outside of fashion, too because of the wealth coming from it. But I'm more than willing to wager luxury brands are giving Arabic much more consideration and it is on par with Russian as one of the fastest growing languages in the industry on the PRACTICAL and ADMINISTRATIVE side.

Expansion, marketing, pr, buying, retail, all of them are bridging ever more into Saudi Arabia, Dubai, the Emirates, Lebanon (Beirut is quite cosmpolitan!), Egypt, and Jordan - most notably.

V.I.P.

i'm not here to discuss politics and i only mentioned Terrorism as an example to the said discussion.

But you can cerainly find out what i said is factual.

07-02-2008
V.I.P.

Please .... we must keep politics out of this, and stay on topic. Any further discussion that might be intrepeted as political will be deleted.

07-02-2008
V.I.P.

i was talking about Portuguese as a language that will soon be needed. not that have i discounted other languages. Arabic i don't put as priority to learn. however, and i am saying it again, it doesn't hurt learn either. French is still top whether it's PR, administrative, sales and whatnot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightley View Post
We're talking about fashion: the most practical language in fashion. Not the US government. How did they even become part of this convo? Backpedaling?

Fact of the matter is Arabic is a good, strong language on any resume - within and outside of fashion, too because of the wealth coming from it. But I'm more than willing to wager luxury brands are giving Arabic much more consideration and it is on par with Russian as one of the fastest growing languages in the industry on the PRACTICAL and ADMINISTRATIVE side.

Expansion, marketing, pr, buying, retail, all of them are bridging ever more into Saudi Arabia, Dubai, the Emirates, Lebanon (Beirut is quite cosmpolitan!), Egypt, and Jordan - most notably.

Last edited by smartarse; 07-02-2008 at 12:12 AM.
07-02-2008
fashion icon

It's fine to disagree with me. I disagreed with you on Portuguese. But I'd appreciate if you didn't relegate any language to only being needed to know for one purpose.

I stand by Arabic and do not think Portuguese is a language that will be needed, except for with dealing with the models from that region. The Brazilian designers come into New York with strong English skills, atyp.

I agree on French.

V.I.P.

we agree to disagree. however, i'm talking through experience when i discussed my stance.

07-02-2008
fashion icon

Uhhh. I'm talking from experience, too. And not just recent. I've worked in and out of the industry for about four years now. Not to mention, my mother has worked in the industry for 20+ years, so, I know the trends.

Last edited by knightley; 07-02-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, language, study