How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-02-2008
V.I.P.

I think it's all subjective. Obviously languages like French and Russian are good to know in the fashion industry, but where do you get Portuguese from? French comes in handy when you're dealing with designers, and working in Paris, especially you'll have to know some bit of French. Russian I can see as well cos a lot of the fashion marketing comes from Russian buyers, so if you're working in Fashion business that is highly credited. But Portuguese, why? A slew of models coming from Brazil is not a reason for the language to be needed. For something to be needed it must raise the business economically, no? I think learning Portuguese would be practical for the hell of it (it sure sounds nice!), but certainly not beneficial to your job.

Last edited by katherine; 07-02-2008 at 12:22 AM.

07-02-2008
V.I.P.

don't you people know what an emerging market means?

07-02-2008
V.I.P.

anyway, ENGLISH is no. 1 ... French is a most. All other languages help too and that includes Portugese, Russian, Chinese, Arabic

Last edited by smartarse; 07-02-2008 at 12:30 AM.
07-02-2008
fashion icon

In fact I do - (please don't try and purport people are not as intelligent as you because they do not agree) and I disagree Brazil is an emerging market on the level Russia and the Arab States are, which is why I am stating that Arabic and Russian are PRACTICAL languages for working in fashion.

You just said we could agree to disagree and this was very goading.

V.I.P.

Knowing Portuguese is not going to have the market grow. You speaking it or not, the market stays the same. The model count doesn't rise if you can say "WELCOME TO AMERICA!" in Portuguese, Spanish, Gibberish, etc. Sure, they would be delighted to find a common ground. Is the market going to rise because of it? No. There are more important languages to know in the industry.

12-02-2008
windowshopping

chinese ~ and then arabic in the next few yrs. those are the 3 main languages of the world (including english, of course).

12-02-2008
fashion insider

For the fashion world, probably French, Italian or Japanese

However, for the rest of the world, probably Spanish or Portugese, as many models are now coming from Brazil (and also designers will probably follow)

12-02-2008
oh! darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couturierdiva View Post
For the fashion world, probably French, Italian or Japanese

However, for the rest of the world, probably Spanish or Portugese, as many models are now coming from Brazil (and also designers will probably follow)
Right on the money!

front row

My guesses would be: French, Japanese (I know kanji is tough, I know Japanese high school students who found it hard when they were learning it for their entrance exams, but it's not that hard to pick up conversational Japanese), possibly Chinese (Mandarin, most likely) and Italian are the best languages to know..

15-02-2008
V.I.P.

I can speak English, swedish and french and as for next year i will have to learn two new languages.. one of them will be italian, what should I pick for the second language if I want to work as a stylist? Which language is useful? And I really want to learn chinese (mandarin), but however i don't know if it's availible at the school.

Last edited by sill; 15-02-2008 at 04:04 AM.
15-02-2008
front row

It's mandarin. All major comps conduct business there now. China now is what Japan was back in the 80's. i'm kicking myself for not learning mandarin in high school

17-02-2008
scenester

Most definately English being the most practical, with French being a close second at the moment. Then i would say if for the near future, you'd be wise to learn Mandarin.

17-02-2008
the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctra View Post
It's mandarin. All major comps conduct business there now. China now is what Japan was back in the 80's. i'm kicking myself for not learning mandarin in high school
Definitely. I don't think people realize how frequently Mandarin is used in the business side of fashion. Sure, on the outside people speak English or French, but on the inside it's completely different.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanutbutter View Post
Definitely. I don't think people realize how frequently Mandarin is used in the business side of fashion. Sure, on the outside people speak English or French, but on the inside it's completely different.

Yes. Liasing with clients. They all expect you to be bilingual, at least.

17-02-2008
it's a hard-knock life.

english, french, italian, and i have to agree on arabic. i can't say which fashion companies because it's not information that i'm allowed to dish out, but i do know of companies that are investing large sums of money in places such as morocco, and i have to say that if companies are investing there, it's because the money is there to invest with, logically. i think a lot of people would be shocked to know how openly fashion oriented many arabic speaking places are growing to be, (although i will say that of the fashion companies i have worked with and helped with setting up showrooms for investments in places such as morocco, the clothing did have to be altered in order to suit their religious beliefs and their cultural beliefs. i hope i am making sense with that. for examples, a shirt that might be sold in the u.s. without sleeves, would have added sleeves if it were shown in a showroom for an investment in morocco and etc., etc.)

and... i guess that means i only need to learn arabic. french and spanish are my first languages, english is my second.

Last edited by izzie stevens; 17-02-2008 at 11:26 PM. Reason: :)
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, language, study