How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-04-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip t mo
I'm an American student and I really want to study fashion in England next year..

Any one have anything to say about any of the following schools for fashion design in england?
  • Kingston University-
  • University of Wesminster-
  • University of Leeds-
  • Bournemouth University-
  • Northumbria University-
Any any any information would be great...
also.. any recommendations for schools for the art foundation (because I think it may be required to take that before entering straight into fashion at any of these universites... correct me if I'm wrong, please)

Thanks!
kingston is good i did their show and i really liked a lot of the stuff also my friend carri went to westminster and she's doing amazingly well with her brand i hear they're both very good schools, i dont know much about the rest though

03-04-2007
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip t mo

Any one have anything to say about any of the following schools for fashion design in england?
  • Kingston University-
  • University of Wesminster-
  • University of Leeds-
  • Bournemouth University-
  • Northumbria University-
Hi, im in my second year of Fashion Marketing at Northumbria. Its a great course really diverse and not so different from the Fashion course as i still do alot of designing and making aswell as illustration photography promotion and business marketing. We work quite close with the Design students and the work is really good n they get some great briefs.

I got onto the course without a foundation but it depends how good your portfolio is in the interview. The only thing i found is that i felt slightly behind the others who had done a foundation but i just had to work harder and eventually felt comfortable. Hope this helps.

scenester

Ok so i thought it may be useful to post this here because, it was on TFS that i began hearing all the bad reviews of Istituto Marangoni (don't get me wrong, i'm glad that people have been honest when sharing their experiences about the school but for the most part people have said that it's a really bad school), so i decided to ask some students that currently, or have, attended the school about their perspectives on it...

"hey, yes i do attend marangoni london. the school is quite good and obviously you do get annoyed by some aspects of the school but i think you get that with any school you go to. also, it's not only a matter of what the teacher can teach you but also how much you can learn for yourself especially if you are truly interested in fashion! marangoni is also the only fashion school in the uk that teaches art and costume history which will come in handy later on in your career as it will be very useful for for future employers. with most things in life you have to be really committed to the course you take at marangoni because it's really easy to fall behind with work especially if you are not an organized person or someone who is willing to work a lot. the good thing with marangoni is that it teaches you everything from the beginning: if you have not learned how to draw/pattern making before, then marangoni is the right school for you. hope this was useful, if you need anymore information feel free to ask."

"Heya, yeah I go to Marangoni London! Im going into second year of fashion business. The course is good, a mixture of lots of differnet modules. I believe the campus is better in Milan. Its a good school but they are strict with attendance, and sometimes, are very unorganized about things which is pretty annoying. But on the whole its a cool place to be."

"Yes I do go there, it will be my 2nd year this year! Have you really heard loads of criticism?? I absolutely love it there, I have improved so much since my first year because of my teachers! They are all very talented and know what they are doing! My advice to you is check it out and see if you like it! It is a lot of work in your first year, and it is difficult to do well, but that just makes the school that much better in my opinion. Competitive, challenging, and loads of work but you'll love it."

"I didn't have a clue how to sew before I started my program and I was taught everything, first hand from the teacher as they make class sizes smaller so that you can have one on one time in the teacher. My drawing teacher is one of the most talented drawing instructors that I have ever met, also our fashion show at the end of the year is far better than Central St Martins and LCF's whose I also attended last year. The school is very strict with attendance and lots of people do kicked out for that reason, or if the school just doesn't think you have the potential to continue they will let you know. But I can only tell you what I think of the school and that is I love it, and it is very well respected and for a fact I know that the recruitment person gets amazing internships/jobs straight after graduation with companys like Armani, Dolce and Gabbana etc. I love the school and if you contact anyone in my class they will agree with me completely!"

"Marangoni IS great..personally I've learned a lot. It's a lot of hard work and that's what I like about it, cuz while you're doing it, you're confident that you're in the right place and doing the right thing cuz you ARE working hard. As long as you avoid the people who are too laid back then you're definitely not wasting your money."

22-08-2007
trendsetter

what are the best schools for studying photography in london?

adi
fashion insider

Has anyone got any experience on University of Derby? I'm thinking of going there for a year in an exchange program and take courses from fashion studies and photography.. I don't really know anything about the place and quality of the courses..

06-09-2007
windowshopping

I think if you are serious about fashion and getting a career, you have to study at a uni within Zone 6 of London. You have to be able to immerse yourself in the exhibitions, shows, events that London has to offer. Plus if you want to do internships then most of them are in London. Unless of course you are stinking rich and can afford exorbitant UK prices for travelling and/or are dedicated. Otherwise you can get stuck out in bumpkinsville with a small town syndrome.

Alot of London Unis now getting better. The only criticism is that places like LCF are taking in a disproportionate amount of foreign students as long as they pay the high fees. Often these students are doing fashion as a 2nd degree with absolutely no talent or dedication just the fact that its "cool" and they think its easy to get a job. This is absolutley wrong in my opinion and lots of good students get rejected overlooked as a result. This is a bit on a tangent but I only bring it up because I know theres often bad feelings amongst students when so & so gets ahead only because of fees his/her daddy is paying. This is reality so be prepared!

18-09-2007
windowshopping

Ive just read post about LCF and had some thoughts and also wanted to ask something. Thank you in advance.
I just have an offer from LCF, its three year Fashion Management course . To be honest i wasnt realy glad to know that i have to pay theree times more then students from Europe. Although i should say that interview was quite tough.
I wanted to ask, if maybe you know how significant year one is. I mean does it have same significance as 2nd and 3rd, or its just basic knowledge, while all imortant things you get are in next two years?
Thanks everyone.

18-09-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzydez View Post
I think if you are serious about fashion and getting a career, you have to study at a uni within Zone 6 of London. You have to be able to immerse yourself in the exhibitions, shows, events that London has to offer. Plus if you want to do internships then most of them are in London. Unless of course you are stinking rich and can afford exorbitant UK prices for travelling and/or are dedicated. Otherwise you can get stuck out in bumpkinsville with a small town syndrome.

Alot of London Unis now getting better. The only criticism is that places like LCF are taking in a disproportionate amount of foreign students as long as they pay the high fees. Often these students are doing fashion as a 2nd degree with absolutely no talent or dedication just the fact that its "cool" and they think its easy to get a job. This is absolutley wrong in my opinion and lots of good students get rejected overlooked as a result. This is a bit on a tangent but I only bring it up because I know theres often bad feelings amongst students when so & so gets ahead only because of fees his/her daddy is paying. This is reality so be prepared!
Someone I know is doing this and it's really annoying. Here i am slaving away for my dream and she goes off and decides the shoe design is "her calling" and takes out loans just so she can say she studied at LCF. Her background in shoes is "she just really loves shoes so much it's becoming a fetish" yet the only big name she could think of was Jimmy Choo. She doesn't even know who Georgina Goodman is...but that's how these schools keep afloat.

TWITTER:
21-09-2007
front row

Anyone going to Marangoni London? I'm going there for 1 year for a Master in Brand management...anyone?

23-09-2007
windowshopping

MA History and Culture of Fashion - London College of Fashion
Hello there,

I was wondering whether anybody at this forum is familiar with the MA History and Culture of Fashion at the London College of Fashion? Or maybe with MA's in History and Culture of Fashion in general or the London College of Fashion in general?

http://www.fashion.arts.ac.uk/course...of_fashion.htm

I will complete my Bachelor of Arts within a year and I am seriously considering to pursue this MA degree.

Did anyone hear complete an BA,MA or PhD in something similar?

Hope to hear some reactions!

Thanks.

GabriŽlle

23-09-2007
rising star

Gasp! I'm also interested in this program after undergad and would like more information. I'd be coming from the U.S and I'm wondering if that reduces my chances of being accepted...

23-09-2007
windowshopping

I don't think you have to be worry about your nationality. They also accept international students. The main problem is that it's way more expensive when you're not a UK resident.

Most important are I think: motivation, academic background & GPA

What are you studying right now? I'm an arts & humanities senior.

23-09-2007
rising star

Thanks for that information. I'm currently studying fashion merchandising with an emphasis in fashion journalism... I certainly hope that having a non humanities major won't hurt my chances.

24-09-2007
windowshopping

Check out this links and scroll down a little, you can see all the MA's they're offering.

http://www.fashion.arts.ac.uk/courses/4905.htm

There's also fashion journalism, so that must be related to what you are doing as well?

Have you also checked Central Saint Martins?

In what year are you? I'm in my third year, so I have to make a decision pretty soon. It's either this or American studies. I also have to apply for a scholarship.

24-09-2007
tfs star

Oh this course sounds fantastic. The only chance I have of ever getting to study the field of fashion I'd be interested in i.e. styling, journalism, merch. and management, would be to do an MA.

I think I have to settle for a crummy English/Media/Cultural Studies BA over here...such a crappy range of courses.

What exactly are you studying Riva Bella? I was thinking of taking an English/Film Studies joint BA.

Tags
fashion, kingdom, london, schools, united