How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-09-2007
windowshopping

hey

well i looked at the application form (international one) and you have to write a motivation and a short essay. so i think if you can prove you are motivated and skilled enough, you have a chance of being accepted.
english/film studies is in the arts & humanities department right? so i'm sure you have acquired the right analytical skills to write such an essay (although it's a different topic).

so you want to go to london for sure? what year are you now?

i'm doing art history, literature and american studies and taking a minor in anthropology.

24-09-2007
tfs star

Oh I haven't finished school yet, this is my last year, then I'm off to Uni for my BA. Then hopefully London for an MA. I'm not sure what course I'll take yet but I just need to keep in mind what MA I'd like to do when choosing my BA...so complicated...sigh.

Good luck

scenester

MA Strategic Fashion Marketing at London College of Fashion Questions
I posted a similar thread about Mod'Art (so if anyone has info on that please let me know over there, haha).

I know there are quite a few mentions of LCF on here but I couldn't find any direct answers to some questions I had

I am really interested in their MA in strategic fashion marketing but I'm wondering if I could even get accepted. First of all, I have no "formal" training or education in the fashion world. I'm from California and went to UC Riverside where I earned a bachelors degree in Pscyhology and Business Administration. I worked at an entertainment PR firm in LA for awhile and worked with high end fashion there, but that's as far as my training goes. Is there any hope for even getting in?

What exactly is needed to apply? Since I'm from the US, in order to get into colleges you need tests like the SAT's, GMAT's, MCAT's, etc. Do you need any tests like that? Any recommendation letters? Any essays?

Lastly, is LCF a good school as far as recommendations for future jobs? Do they help you with placement at companies and such?

I tried to get some info from their website but a lot of the links wouldn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

09-10-2007
front row

hello!

i have an interview in new york city for a spot in LCF's pg certficate in fashion & lifestyle journalism.

just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice about how the interview would be like. i'm so nervous!

scenester

...it's all about the University of Westminster

30-12-2007
boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitchcockStarlet View Post
...it's all about the University of Westminster
Do you go there? I might go to their fashion design open day..I was quite impressed with what I saw on their site.

30-12-2007
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhJane View Post
Do you go there? I might go to their fashion design open day..I was quite impressed with what I saw on their site.
Yeah, 1st year. It's tough but so worth it. When I was choosing where to go it was my first choice because it has everything I wanted (print room, year in industry, famous alumni, small intake). Come to the open day! Although they took too many people this year (48) and we're a bit squashed, but I think they've learnt their lesson and next year should be more around 34 students. So you don't get lost in the crowd.

30-12-2007
boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitchcockStarlet View Post
Yeah, 1st year. It's tough but so worth it. When I was choosing where to go it was my first choice because it has everything I wanted (print room, year in industry, famous alumni, small intake). Come to the open day! Although they took too many people this year (48) and we're a bit squashed, but I think they've learnt their lesson and next year should be more around 34 students. So you don't get lost in the crowd.
Dang, that's not many at all. Congratulations on getting in

Any portfolio advice you can give me? I know how to put together a photography portfolio but when it comes to design...I'm stuck!
Thankyou!

31-12-2007
scenester

Keep it clean and simple. They want to see your work and not a lot of fluff or whatever on top to try and make it pretty. Erm...I bought a long a critical journal or artists/designers/news stories that interest me, and they seemed to like that. It should be in a a1 portfolio but don't put it in the silly plastic sheet things, they want to be able to move your work around and see it properly. Don't put everything in just for the sake of it, and really think about the order of your work. I think mostly they just want to see your personality as a designer.

For the interview they get you to leave your portfolio and then go into another room to right mini essays analysing a runway photo they give you. Don't stress about this as it's just to keep you busy and make sure you can actually write. Then you go in for an individual interview with 2 of the tutors. They're all lovely (at least in the interview process), just make sure you're not too quiet and they should like you!

02-01-2008
rising star

westminster!!
i took my A2 portfolio of work from the year
an A1 portfolio of life drawing
2 fashion sketchbooks
foundation trip sketchbook (drawings and photography of paris)
my final major garments

just take stuff that you feel describes who you are. at ravensbourne foundation we were given a list of must have examples
Research- perhaps a sketchbook where you did alot of interesting research?
Drawing- life drawing, illustration, sketchbooks...
Ideas- roughs, final images
Good quality images of all your work (if you're on foundation ask someone in lens based to help you. they can use it for their portfolio too. win win situation)

it's a brilliant course though. in one term we've had some brilliant guest tutors and our tutors CVs are bloody impressive. and i'm sure HS will tell you all about our love of the SU on a monday...

03-01-2008
?

Anyone with inside info about the BA fashion journalism course at LCF?

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraCampbell View Post
westminster!!
and i'm sure HS will tell you all about our love of the SU on a monday...
Mmm...1 a drink. YUM.

04-01-2008
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaMare View Post
Anyone with inside info about the BA fashion journalism course at LCF?
I am currently (still! lol) doing this.

You have to start of with Fashion Promotions and in your second year you can then choose Journalism as a pathway.

LCF is an amazing school, to study fashion.

Ultimately, it all depends on the type of person you are, and what kind of experiences you want out of a university (minus the obvious top class fashion studies)

For example, I go there a few times a week, one of my girlfriends does as well, so we go to Davies street or John Princes St for classes, then more or less hang out together around the west end in between, or go off to our lives.

I work / live and play in London so it works for me, but I also have two friends who are a lot more hardcore about fashion (ie more likely to succeed in the industry) who left LCF.

PM me if you want to discuss further. As my opinions (positive+negative) on LCF are personal so I am not comfortable writing it here as I do not want to give the wrong impression about a school, which IS AN AMAZING school.

04-01-2008
boo

Thankyou for the info on Westminster

I think I'll need to brush up on my writing skills..!

04-01-2008
tfs star

Thanks muchly for the info kytila.

Since the BA is out of my financial reach I'm considering the MA but I've heard formal education isn't exactly necessary for journalism so I'm still not sure. Might just get my BA in English and get to work!

Tags
fashion, kingdom, london, schools, united