How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-02-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnocentFairy View Post
You are going to LCF, yes? And you are doing the post-grad cert' in Fashion and Lifestyle Journalism? Then you will be having Nilgin Yusef. Just do not trust her with anything confidential. I don't wish to say anymore.
I'm actually not doing the post grad certificate in Fashion & Lifestyle Journalism... I'm going to be doing a Bachelor's in Fashion Journalism. I think the course director is Brenda Polan. But thanks for the heads up.

25-02-2008
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkokdoll View Post
I'm actually not doing the post grad certificate in Fashion & Lifestyle Journalism... I'm going to be doing a Bachelor's in Fashion Journalism. I think the course director is Brenda Polan. But thanks for the heads up.
Ah, ok.

25-02-2008
rising star

Quote:
Lets just say, I am making a offcial complaint at the moment. The course is an absolute shambles. Anyway, you do not need an MA in Fashion Journalism, you can get there purely on work experience (which you need anyway despite the MA or not). Seriously, you do not an MA in Fashion Journalism you might as well do an MA in Surfing...they are not even 'proper' academics.
It's such a shame you've been disappointed with the course. That's one I would definitely have considered too. I'm doing an masters too, in Fashion Marketing - and whilst I wouldn't call it a shambles - its not been at all what I expected, and have been quite frustrated with it all. Sometimes I think Masters courses are just a way for the university to make a lot of money.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarex View Post
It's such a shame you've been disappointed with the course. That's one I would definitely have considered too. I'm doing an masters too, in Fashion Marketing - and whilst I wouldn't call it a shambles - its not been at all what I expected, and have been quite frustrated with it all. Sometimes I think Masters courses are just a way for the university to make a lot of money.
Are you at LCF too?

I agree that some MAs are a way for the universities to make even more money, but I suppose they are a business. My MA course has been awful. It has not taught me anything, I have gained no knowledge from it...it is just so mentally unstimulating and such a joke! But it is what happened after I complained that has really shocked me, I guess 'lecturers' (if you can call them that) can not be trusted. But the actual course and the actual lecturer is an embarrassment to academia, I don't know how the lecturer has the guts to call himself a lecturer and I do not understand how the university have the guts to say that MA Fashion Journalism is actually an 'MA'...if you get my drift?

Last edited by InnocentFairy; 25-02-2008 at 04:14 PM.
25-02-2008
rising star

Quote:
Are you at LCF too?

I agree that some MAs are a way for the universities to make even more money, but I suppose they are a business. My MA course has been awful. It has not taught me anything, I have gained no knowledge from it...it is just so mentally unstimulating and such a joke! But it is what happened after I complained that has really shocked me, I guess 'lecturers' (if you can call them that) can not be trusted. But the actual course and the actual lecturer is an embarrassment to academia, I don't know how the lecturer has the guts to call himself a lecturer and I do not understand how the university have the guts to say that MA Fashion Journalism is actually an 'MA'...if you get my drift?
No I'm at Manchester Met, I actually wish I'd done a similar course at LCF or CSM, but it's reassuring in a strange way to find out you've had a similar experience. Sometimes I feel the course is really dumbed down, and I'd like it to move quicker and be more challenged. I really expected a lot more at Masters level. We have such a high proportion of international students too so there are language/communication issues too sometimes. I think a lot of unis have lowered their English language proficiency requirements, and a few on my course are really struggling. I'm just trying to get work experience in on the sides to better equip me for a job I eventually hope to get!

That's really terrible though, about your lecturer. Perhaps when the course is over you should complain to someone way higher up than them.

backstage pass

That's awful that you had a bad experience at LCF regarding your Master's Degree InnocentFairy. I think with the reputation of the school your lecturers would have handled the situation better. As clarex said, you should really talk to someone with a higher ranking and get your voice heard.

26-02-2008
rising star

Quote:
Are you at LCF too?

That sucks, but I really do appreciate your honest assesment of the school! It looks like I'll be making alternative grad school plans.

26-02-2008
trendsetter

^^

I have already had a meeting with the Dean of School, alongside the Associate Dean and they treated me like I was on trial!!! Absolutely shocking! It is now over a week later and I've had no update on the case. So now I am turning it into an official complaint with NUS behind me. I am also officialy withdrawing, because I am demanding a refund for this dreadful sham of a course.

Last edited by InnocentFairy; 26-02-2008 at 02:26 PM.
26-02-2008
front row

Quote:
^^

I have already had a meeting with the Dean of School, alongside the Associate Dean and they treated me like I was on trial!!! Absolutely shocking! It is now over a week later and I've had no update on the case. So now I am turning it into an official complaint with NUS behind me. I am also officialy withdrawing, because I am demanding a refund for this dreadful sham of a course.
Wow that is pretty serious. Good luck with everything.

I happen to be attending the PG course in September and hopefully my experience will be a little better.

backstage pass

I hope everything goes well for you InnocentFairy!

27-02-2008
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maganda_x3 View Post
Wow that is pretty serious. Good luck with everything.

I happen to be attending the PG course in September and hopefully my experience will be a little better.
Is that the PG Cert' in Fashion & Lifestyle Journalism at LCF?

27-02-2008
trendsetter

^^ Thank you guys for your support!

01-03-2008
windowshopping

Ugh this is kinda freaking me out... have any of you heard something about the BA Fashion promotion course?

I'm getting an interview in the middle of march and hearing all of this makes a bit nervous

Any insight would be highly appreciated

01-03-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk'n'cookies View Post
Ugh this is kinda freaking me out... have any of you heard something about the BA Fashion promotion course?

I'm getting an interview in the middle of march and hearing all of this makes a bit nervous

Any insight would be highly appreciated
As much as I sympathise with InnocentFairy - and it really sounds like she's been treated unfairly, it would be ridiculous to let one person's experiences put you off your course. In my opinions undergraduate degrees are utterly different to postgrads, and it's a different subject area too so you may not have the tutor that's been mentioned. You should go into your interview as if you never heard all this, and make your own mind up when you get there.

Meg
inspired contemplation

good luck Innocent. Glad you are standing up for what you believe in

For those worried about the interview, don't be. I had an interview with LCF for BA in buying and merchandising and it was quick (10 minutes), I was pretty much confirmed a place on the spot and mostly I found that it was just about demonstrating my passion and knowledge

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, kingdom, london, schools, united