How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-06-2010
windowshopping

some info on fashion universities in the UK. i went to LCF myself and can vouch for this
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...courses-faults

19-07-2010
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybrightstar View Post
Has anyone heard much about American InterContinental University?
I came across them and they offer courses for Fashion Marketing which can be combined with design and that's what I'm interested in.

But I haven't heard much about the uni? So was wondering if you guys had? I would study at the London Campus.

Oh and apparently Christian Siriano (Project Runway winner) was a London AIU student?

to those that study/ied there accommo? get on campus or arrange off campus?
From what I know about the University, they can provide accommodation for you, but it's quite expensive and after a term many students choose to rent privately. The campus is a few buildings around marlyebone high street (as many london universities are like. There are very few actual "Campus" universities in london, there just isn't the space). To be fair lots of my friends really enjoy being there, but because it's an american university it's not well known in the UK, and it runs on a major/minor system which seems to mean they have to juggle fashion modules with academic ones. I would say if you want to get an american degree it's probably you're only real option in London. But it's worth having a look at their wikipedia page under "criticisms". The other thing is you're paying american fees, not british ones, so if you're wanting to save money enrolling as an international at a british university would probably save you money.

02-11-2010
fashion insider

I want to study in London and I was wondering which fashion school (and course) would be best for me. My main career choice is too work as a stylist for a magazine. I'm also thinking about merchandising and PR, but those are slightly more minor considerations for me. Where do you guys think I should go?

03-11-2010
front row

its hard to say because a course like that is rare to find (a place i mean) so many people want to do it. plus you have to consider that it may not be respectable! some colleges do 'fashion journalism' courses and it is definitely not respectable, i have friends on those courses and they regret it so much. my best suggestion is to take a subject close to writing like history or english if you want to go into writing...(at a magazine) and styling, doesn't need a degree. its about interning and connections.

however if you do want to go ahead and study it there is a new 'styling' course opened up recently in september by 2 stylists. google it!

03-11-2010
V.I.P.

Miss-V is correct. There is no single "course" of study that will prepare you to work for a fashion magazine, either as a journalist (writer) or a fashion editor (sttylist). It's extremely competitive and very complex ... there are dozens of ways to get a job, but only those with the best connections seem to make it at the higher levels.

Here's some important information that might be of interest to you, in other threads:

How to Get Work in Fashion Magazine Publishing (see Post #1 for related threads)

What Education is Needed to get into Magazines / Publishing?

03-11-2010
fashion insider

Okay, thank you so much. I'll probably do a non-fashion degree and try interning + short courses on the subject.

19-01-2011
V.I.P.

Hello! Does anyone have any information on UCA Epsom at the moment? I'm applying for Fashion Promotion and Imaging and due to the school I am now that is a collaboration school in Finland, quaranteed to get in. My main goals are of course CSM and LCF, but I was wondering if I don't get in is it worth my money to study in Epsom. Any feedback would be appreciated!

24-01-2011
backstage pass

Royal College of Art
I'm thinking of applying here for my MA. They offer masters degree on textiles, womenswear and menswear.

Does anyone attend here? Is it good? How hard is it to get in?

Their website: http://www.rca.ac.uk/Default.aspx

windowshopping

Indie Epson is literally just down the road from me, it's meant to be super good but I too am aiming for Central St Martins and London College of Fashion. I hope your not a gambler though as Epson Downs Racecourse is pretty close by If you ski (I wouldn't be surprised if you did - I mean come on, you live in Finland) Epson Downs Racecourse has a dry ski slope so you can keep your standard.

*Jibrielle* If I was in your shoes I would try get into Central St Martins - they have squeezed out designers like Stella McCartney, my favourite Hussain Chalayan, Alexander McQueen and Matthew Williamson- you need to first take a Foundation Degree in Art and Design (taking the Textiles/Fashion Design pathway) then take the BA (Honours) Fashion if you havent done already, and finally the MA you wanted to take which I think is called MA Fashion. These are all at CSM.

Last edited by LaModaInspire13; 27-01-2011 at 11:06 AM.
28-01-2011
backstage pass

I'm finishing my BA in fashion and I was considering applying to both, I was just wondering if the royal college was worth applying to

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jibrielle* View Post
I'm finishing my BA in fashion and I was considering applying to both, I was just wondering if the royal college was worth applying to
tbh i havent heard of it

01-02-2011
front row

boys and girls, i can recommend the university of manchester. it's in the top 4 textile institutes in the wooooorld. plus the city is known for its textile tradition!

16-08-2011
scenester

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew about the possibility of obtaining an MA in fashion at a school such as CSM with only an AAS in fashion design at FIT. I know that to get into the MA program, you need to have a foundation diploma and FIT doesn't offer foundation year. So would I be able to substitute college credit art courses (taken at local art schools in the US) for a foundation diploma, and how many credits would I need? If anyone could help, I would really appreciate it
--Sarah

windowshopping

Hello everyone! I just had some questions regarding the London College of Fashion, that I am hoping you guys can answer. I am currently starting my first year of school at George Brown College for Fashion Management. After I have completed my diploma, I would love to apply to the London College of Fashion for their Fashion Journalism or PR program.

My first question is would I have to pay international student fees for this program? I have a Canadian citizenship, but my parents were both born in Malta which is apart of the EU so I have a Maltese citizenship as well. Despite completing all of my schooling in Canada, with my Maltese citizenship would I still be considered an international student?

Also are their any TFS'ers that are Canadians that have attended this school, or any UK fashion school for that matter? If so how did you go about the application process and what were the requirements, because I am very confused about the UK school systems university application process.

If anyone has attended any of these programs I want to apply for, how did you find them? Were they useful in helping you start out your careers?

And finally, since I will have to save up these next couple years to afford the living expenses of moving to London, do you guys have some suggestions about how much approximately I should aim to save up before making this move? My parents will pay for my tuition and books, but the living expenses, etc. will all be my own responsibility.

I know this is a bunch of questions, but thank for answering them for me

23-08-2011
V.I.P.

I just wanted to put my two cents in --
AVOID ISTITUTO MARANGONI (LONDON) LIKE THE PLAGUE!
they are completely and utterly unprofessional and useless, and are only after your money!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, kingdom, london, schools, united