How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-04-2006
fashion icon

Best London & UK Colleges/Universities I recommend after growing up in the UK:

(Not in particular order)

Cambridge (cambridge)
Oxford (oxford)
Saint Andrews (country side of scotland)
London Business School (london)
London School of Economics (london)
Kings College (london)
University of London (london)

Fashion Schools:
Saint Martins (fine arts)
London college of fashion
+ check out fashion schools in italy that have partner schools in London..

21-04-2006
windowshopping

I'm a University of the Arts London graduate... London College of Fashion. For any interested in all things fashion related there are some great courses.... Fashion Management, Promotion, Design, Technology etc.
The short courses are good too - covering nearly everything you could think of. Take a look at www.arts.ac.uk.

21-04-2006
windowshopping

Any idea hows the foundation studies in art and design at LCF is?

22-04-2006
windowshopping

My girlfriend would like to study fashion in London. She -of course- wants the best.

So, could you tell us which is better between Marangoni, AIU & St Martin and, if possible, why "this" school is better than "this" one.
Thank you!

25-04-2006
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxu
what kind of porfolio does CSM look for when a student apply there?
i mean the fashion design one

are they like parsons..looking for more technical drawings than expressive
do they want garments already made? and fashion drawings?
if i did something like..make a dress out of dried up gouche paint..would that be a good portfolio piece?

what's their academic standard for international student? real high? or depends on the portfolio

someone please help provide as much info as possible
hey

a few tips from me...don't take them as gospel or anything but it is useful. good academic grades is a wonderful starter. it's always very wise to include life drawing (make sure it is good quality and maybe show some earlier stuff to show progression as that's very important). sketchbooks are important too, with clear thoughts and ideas that lead to final pieces - that means exploring different styles, looking at source materials and getting inspiration from them. show your hand skills...they don't want someone who can't sew straight, that's just a given. would you be coming over for an interview or just sending your portfolio over?

26-04-2006
adi
fashion insider

i'm also interested about Central Saint Martins for fashion designing but i'm really unsure about the portfolio. There were already discussions about it but i would like to know, how much they look at persons drawing skill than one being innovative? I feel that i'm not the best drawer but i still do have ideas and sewing skills..

what are the interviews like? are they hard on you and what do they usually want to know? and how to they react on international students?

and what about the London College of Fashion? basically the same questions for it.. i really would like to find the best school there is, that demands lots of its students..

26-04-2006
tfs star

i think if you have ideas and good sewing skills, with a little bit of drawing it is good enough. the person with greater drawing skills such as lifedrawing will always have the upper hand though, i think.

you have to do a sort of presentation at the interview. i don't think they're really hard on you but i'm used to being rejected, haha.

26-04-2006
adi
fashion insider

maybe taking a life drawing class would not be such a bad idea

26-04-2006
windowshopping

LCF Interview
Hey all I have an interview at London College of Fashion for MA Fashion Journalism next week and I was wondering what I should wear for it? I don't want to go too avant-garde but equally I don't want to look like a dowdy frumpster in a suit. What do you reckon? Furthermore, does anybody know what sort of questions they will ask me? Would appreciate any feedback. Cheers, Ali X

26-04-2006
tfs star

nope...if you find a good teacher it can be really helpful.

30-04-2006
windowshopping

Marangoni London
Hey everybody,

I am a first year fashion design student at marangoni milan and was wondering if anyone has had any first-hand experience at marangoni london and what they thought about it.

I'm thinking about transferring due to language problems (course is all in italian and i'm struggling).

Thanks everyone!

03-05-2006
V.I.P.

Do all unis look at the GCSE results? A lot of my friends who applied and did the IB Diploma programme said that barely any unis actually looked at the GCSE grades..
Anyway I want to do Art History at Goldsmith's. But that is likely to change. :p

Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight fairy
Do all unis look at the GCSE results? A lot of my friends who applied and did the IB Diploma programme said that barely any unis actually looked at the GCSE grades..
Anyway I want to do Art History at Goldsmith's. But that is likely to change. :p
You can be accepted by a poor university if you have poor grades, or you can be accepted by an art school if you have poor grades and a strong portfolio. In most other cases, no offence, but your friends are talking rubbish.

adi
fashion insider

the IB Diploma numbers are translated to be at the same level as the regural numbers (in this case the GCSE). at least that is the case in finland.. it is true that some unis respect more of the IB-programme but usually all the students should be on the same level despite what kind og progamme they have attended before uni.

has to be remembered that i talk now only on the behalf of finland, since i'm not that familiar with the education systems in UK, but i would assume that the case is as i said i'm actually finishing my IB-programme at the moment and i know that the one thing i really get out of it is the fact that i might be more prepared for uni studies as the "regurals" since the studies are so independent. but as princeofcats said, your friends are talking rubbish

09-05-2006
V.I.P.

Okay thanks for the input.

Thing is I always thought that universities were more concerned with the results of the A-Levels and/or the IB Diploma rather than the GCSE. Of course they would require you to have gotten a C or above, but.. I just can't see how the GCSE can be AS important as your A-levels or IB Diploma ..I know some students who didn't care about school much at 16 but pulled themselves together for the IB Diploma and got pretty impressive results.
Anyway I guess it varies with where you want to attend - obviously Cambridge + Oxford have higher requirements for whatever you do before uni.

And just curious - how do they accept students who have never done GCSE/A-Levels? Say they come from Russia where the system is completely different..

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, kingdom, london, schools, united