How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-02-2007
front row

Why an MA in Fashion Journalism? Are you planning to teach the subject? Journalism remains one of the few professions in which degrees count for very little, if anything at all. This is particularly true of fashion journalism.

Coming at it from another angle, fashion journalism does not require great intellect, academic prowess or even much in the way of talent. Even if a newbie possesses all of these attributes, they will be suppressed by less capable editors who will see them as a potential threat.

An archival memory is an advantage, enabling you to pepper your copy with historical references to past designers, trends and collections etc etc... However, you do not require a degree in order to develop this. You need to get out there and do it.

You'd be better off just getting out there and working in the business. If you really want an MA in fashion journalism, you could gain one whilst actually doing the job. You could then do a PHd and, as I said, eventually teach the subject. But even then, you need the hands-on experience, something very few teachers and lecturers in colleges and universities have. They teach it because, in the main, they cannot do it.

None of the editors I know would hire you because of a degree. Some of them would probably kick you all the way down the stairs and out the door...and then fire their PAs for letting you in. They want to see your book of clippings. They want to know that you can do the job. A degree in journalism or media studies can, in fact, be a handicap when trying to get hardened writers and editors to take you seriously enough to entrust you with an assignment without fcuking it up and making them look bad to their bosses or upsetting an advertiser.

I hope this doesn't come across as negative. I am simply stating a bald truth, based on my own experience as both a writer and an editor and my experience of fashion and style titles and how they actually function in the real world.

PK

Last edited by prosperk; 20-02-2007 at 08:48 AM.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
college, fashion, journalism, london, ma