How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-12-2008
scenester

Macy's Executive Development Program
http://www.macyscollege.com/college/...evelopment.asp

Anybody done this program or know somebody who has?

I'm interested in gaining inside info on the benefits of this program.

29-12-2008
scenester

I used to work at Macy's Merchandising Group, and I saw people in that program. Basically what they do is hire someone and have them try different areas (they do production for a few months, merchandising for a few months, sometimes design or tech design for a few months in all different categories, i.e. sweaters, wovens, different brands, cookware) and they see what you are most proficient at and at the end of the training program they try to hire you at what you do best.

02-01-2009
scenester

I've actually been interested in that program for a while however i'm a little confused how to apply for it. I hit 'Apply Now' and it sends me to a page where there is a list of job opportunities but not that specific one. Can anyone help me with this one?

16-02-2009
scenester

I'm still curious how to apply for this program, does anybody know?
thanks

17-02-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlin View Post
I'm still curious how to apply for this program, does anybody know?
thanks
Hi Kettlin, I'm not sure but share your frustration. Many positions say over to the right which cities have availability, but no postings! I noticed that many product development internships are listed- maybe you could apply and if nothing else that gets your resume in the door.

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisBelle View Post
Hi Kettlin, I'm not sure but share your frustration. Many positions say over to the right which cities have availability, but no postings! I noticed that many product development internships are listed- maybe you could apply and if nothing else that gets your resume in the door.
I was starting to think I was the only one with this problem! I think that's great advice, I'll definitely apply for some internships to get my resume out there. Thank you

17-02-2009
windowshopping

I'm sure we're not alone! With all of the automated/web based HR systems, it's like the friggin Labyrinth riddle to get to a real person! I can understand how overwhelmed they would be if they posted contact information, but sometimes I think it makes sense if they aren't posting consistent information.

scenester

That is true. But if you or anyone does find out about how to apply for the program please please let me know!!

23-02-2009
scenester

I applied for these programs (the buying, planning, etc) back in about Sept/Oct I believe. I never heard anything back until about December I believe when I got emails that said they had already completed hiring for these positions and didn't have any left at the moment. Pretty much they are done with hiring which would explain the problems people have been having when it comes to trying to maneuver around the website. They should make that clear, but they don't.

I also talked to a recruiter for these programs at the USC career fair and she said they get most of their candidates directly from people who already work at Macy's and Bloomingdales and who are currently doing internships with them. It pretty much sounded like they only have very few spots left often to "the public" each hiring season. When I was talking to her they had already filled up most of the programs strictly with current interns.

Hope that helps.

23-02-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsme View Post
I applied for these programs (the buying, planning, etc) back in about Sept/Oct I believe. I never heard anything back until about December I believe when I got emails that said they had already completed hiring for these positions and didn't have any left at the moment. Pretty much they are done with hiring which would explain the problems people have been having when it comes to trying to maneuver around the website. They should make that clear, but they don't.

I also talked to a recruiter for these programs at the USC career fair and she said they get most of their candidates directly from people who already work at Macy's and Bloomingdales and who are currently doing internships with them. It pretty much sounded like they only have very few spots left often to "the public" each hiring season. When I was talking to her they had already filled up most of the programs strictly with current interns.

Hope that helps.

Hello, thanks for posting that, it does help clear up some of the confusion. It's good to know for sure (somewhat officially) that this is basically a job that you need to get before it's even posted on the site.

windowshopping

It's true. They do like to recruit from within Macys because they have a lot of salespeople, data entry people etc who want to become buyers, planners and product developers. However, they do competitively recruit for top talent graduating from college and will often have booth's and college career fairs. They run the program only once a year generally, so it is key to apply at that time.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
development, executive, macy, program