How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-08-2008
windowshopping

Need Information about Getting an Agent / Representation ... for a Stylist
Hi All,

I am looking for a fashion stylist agent? how is the best way to approach them? any tips? thanks

26-08-2008
V.I.P.

All I have heard is that they want you to have a good level of existing clientelle and lot's of good tears in your portfolio before they will consider you ... at least the big artists' agencies.. So it's more like what can you do for them ... what you bring to the table. Sort of a "catch 22" ... you need to be working steadily in order for them to accept you for their clients.

So I know a lot of stylists and artists who decide that they don't want an agency, for this reason ... they are finding their own work and don't have to pay something like 20% of that to the agency. Although ... sometimes an agency can get you the really big gigs that you would not otherwise get ... the big companies that only use agency stylists. So it's seems like it would be good, to take you up to the top levels if you are making a decent living at it now. Just what I've heard ... but from many sources ....

28-01-2009
windowshopping

Artist representation for stylist
Hi,

I am an aspiring/emerging stylist and I am looking for an agency to represent me. i am looking for a small boutique agency interested in representing new stylist. also what would be your advises? what are they looking for? and most importantly what are the requirement to get into.

I have been contacted by an agency who asked me a lot of expenditure to join them, want to see what you think:

1The artist will pay 20% commission on the gross fees of jobs (editorial, catalog, and advertising) booked by Management On artistís existing clients, the agency will deduct 15% commission on the gross fees of jobs.

the agency will contribute 20% toward the artistís printed promotional expenses. The balance 80% is the responsibility of the artist.

3the agency requires the artist to have a reserve of $500.00 on account for promotional expenses incurred by the agency.

The agency will charge a $20.00 Website Fee per

the agency will charge a fee to the artist for adding a new page to the website.

Fed Ex and Messenger Services postage mailing costs for sending out portfolios/mailers will be 100% charged to the artist.

Fed Ex Account Artist must provide a federal express account

Artist is 100 % responsible for providing 2 complete books with shipping case (original tears or prints) to the agency

28-01-2009
V.I.P.

Having never signed with an agency ... I'll comment but based only on what I have heard, not what I know for fact. So ... I could be way off in my assesment ... take it with a grain of salt. And if anyone else has a different experience, I'd love to hear it here.
  • The 20% fee to the agency seems in line ... at least that is what modeling agencies charge.
  • I would not like the 15% to the agency if I booked with any previous clients that I already had, but I've heard that this is common and that is why agencies want actively working stylists ... because of the clients they bring to the agency.. Something to consider if you already have a good client base ... you would just be giving your money away. Maybe that might be negotiated, if they want you badly enough?
  • Suprised that an agency would pay any portion of your expenses (20% of promotional expense) ... never heard of this before .... that's a plus.
  • $500 reserve ... normal, because they spend money on you that you must pay back... they don't want you skipping town.
  • $20 website fee ... if it's to upload your pics on thier site, normal, but not always charged, depends on the agency.
  • FedEX charges paid by artist ... normal
  • 3 updated portfolios ... normal ... it's how they promote you to interested clients.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
agent, information, representation, stylist