How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-05-2010
V.I.P.

Generally young, and upcoming designers have a PR department of some kind, usually it can be a company brought in that will deal with quite a lot of different brands. Or it can simply be that brands/designers contact the editorial staff at magazines themselves. It's quite easily done. Once you have someone's e-mail address you can send them images, if they like it and think it's worth looking into, they will. Usually by calling in samples..

20-05-2010
scenester

okay thanks, I have been contacting editors myself as I can't afford a PR agent so I will be persistent. Would you recommend sending samples to their offices, if they haven't responded to my emails over the last few months?

V.I.P.

I wouldn't hugely recommend it. I work for a big brand, and it's a nightmare for us to get our samples back from the editors, let alone someone sending them out themselves! You might never see them again.

They respond well to short, to the point and visual e-mails if that's any help.

20-05-2010
scenester

thank you, will keep this in mind! Is it worth sending a press kit out about the brand? or does it not work this way

V.I.P.

That might be a good idea, putting something together like that. As professional as it can be. That's exactly how any other brand would do it. Sending out Lookbook's of the collection with a press release and such. If you've been able to get the pieces stocked anywhere, include that in the information etc.

The fashion editors get so many packs, and emails and such on a daily basis that it's so easy for it to get lost in there. So just try and make it as strong as possible.

21-05-2010
Fashion Designer

I think a good idea would be to have it sent out to smaller publications first, specially around yoru hometown to create a sort of local celebrity image. That way it would be easier for bigger publications to notice, instead of coming out of nowhere, good reputation in your own hometown is key i think.

03-08-2010
windowshopping

How to get publicity and buyers to come to your fashion ( for a new line) ?
Hi my mother and I are going to launch our debut collection in August and we are having a fashion show ( it's at an art gallery opening) and I was wondering how to go about inviting buyers and press to the show, and how to actually get them to come?
Should I send out a press release with our look book to get a bit of publicity before the show to various newspapers, blogs ect?
We kind of jumped in the deep end with this venture and now we need to figure out a way to actually sell the clothes! Any advice that you guys could give me would be much appreciated.
Thanks

03-08-2010
V.I.P.

Yes ... send out press releases and your look book to every local magazine, newspaper and well known bloggers ... maybe even the local TV and radio stations ... you never know when they might need a filler or something and might provide a bit of free publicity. Send invitations to everyone you can think of who are local. Don't forget the local boutiques ... they are potential buyers.

Best posible scenario would be to hire a publicist for this ... they know how to reach the appropriate people and how to garner some interest. If you can't afford a PR firm, if you could find someone who works in a PR office who likes to moonlight (Craigs list or something like that?) ... that would be less costly and might still be more effective than doing it yourself.

Good luck!

04-01-2011
backstage pass

I'm currently doing a bit of PR work for a local designer(And when I say a bit I mean all of it) and so I thought I'd bump this thread up.

I do have a question though, what constitutes a good press kit?

15-06-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by markese91 View Post
I'm currently doing a bit of PR work for a local designer(And when I say a bit I mean all of it) and so I thought I'd bump this thread up.

I do have a question though, what constitutes a good press kit?
Better late than never...

A press pack could contain:
  • History, biography and/or overview of designer/label
  • The most recent lookbook
  • Contact details

And can use the following format:
  • ďFor immediate release" (upper left-hand, all capitalized)
  • Headline. Just a sentence.
  • Date, city
  • Main paragraph
  • Body
  • Bilerplate. End as short paragraph with a description of label, products, services and a short history.
  • Contact details

Usually you press release when the following situations occur:
  • Launch of your new collections
  • New major distribution
  • Designer collaborations
  • Celebrity tie-ins

markese91, could you share your PR experience with the designer you were/are working with?

30-08-2011
fashion icon

New designers sending their samples to buyers
I sent my sample dresses to an established buying office who scout for luxury department stores in North America and Europe in New York City which they received last Monday and still haven't heard anything. I added a cover letter that said if they weren't interested, they can send it back through Fedex by reference number to my office in another country so they don't have to pay anything. I know there was a hurricane over the weekend, but why aren't they replying to me? I also sent an email when I sent the samples to say they are coming.

How long does it take for the buyers to reply? Do I need to call or email again? The reason why I need those samples back if they are not interested is because they took two months from the manufacturer to make and cost me money.

Last edited by eurofashionjunki; 30-08-2011 at 08:31 PM.
11-09-2011
backstage pass

This is a great thread! I am also a new designer looking for ways to market my line

windowshopping

I agree with Jibrielle, these threads about publicity and marketing are really great. It's awesome to see people being so generous and helpful with their advice

14-11-2011
windowshopping

Publicity Agents in North America
Howdy All,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a digital PR company based in North America?

Basically we're looking for a publicist that doesn't need our actual product but can instead work with flat lay, lookbook and campaign images.

We're still a small label but would like to start building our profile overseas. As such, we can't yet justify sending samples all over the world! Actually, if anyone knows of this kind of agency anywhere outside Australia that'd be great

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by bento; 14-11-2011 at 09:11 PM.
15-11-2011
V.I.P.

I merged your thread in with the ongoing thread about this topic.

There are a couple other threads where you might find some information:

I need Contact Info for Publicists / Designers / Showrooms / Magazines / Stores / etc

Top Fashion Public Relations Firms?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
designers, funding, line, marketing, publicity