How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-01-2009
rising star

I've just read this whole thread and it was very informative since I myself also want to open a boutique that offers clothes by indie designers that targets the upscale and middle-class markets.
I have a degree in business (entrepreneurship) so I think I know some of the business aspects like accounting, management and law. However, I am a newcomer in the fashion industry so I'm trying to learn more about that.
I have some past small-time business ventures but they are not in the fashion and clothing industry.
I hope that all our designer boutiques end up successful!

20-01-2009
V.I.P.

I'm glad you mentioned your entrepreneurship degree ... because I beleive that it will give you a huge leg up in starting any business.

I've worked for a lot of small designers/retailers who were working on getting a small online business or store front boutique started and growing it. The only one (a web retailer and wholesaler who sells their own line) that is doing really well and who is still in business after about 8 years ... is the woman who had the same degree. She knew nothing about fashion when she started, had to hire a designer ... she just knew how to build her business.

She has made smart decisions along the way ... controlling costs (labor, materials, etc.), increasing her advertising and marketing budget and just doing it slowly and carefully. The others .... well, many have failed and many more are still struggling.

It just tells me that having a strong business plan and knowing how to handle all of that pesky accounting and marketing stuff is probably the most important thing in getting a new business into the black within a reasonable time and keeping it there.

21-01-2009
front row

^Why on earth did she want to get into fashion when she knew nothing about the fashion industry? So she isnt involved with the design process at all??

21-01-2009
rising star

BetteT, thanks for the encouraging reply....
I'm already on my way to starting my business plan. I've already done one in the past so it's not much of a problem for me.
The degree was definitely helpful. However, it is still not an assurance that we will succeed. Businesses are after all like gambling but with a lower risk.

kymberwyn, I too knew little about fashion and style but I would like to enter the industry. Maybe because I just like it and also have a passion for fashion like you guys have ever since I was little. I am just not that serious about it until now. Also, though we can say that fashion is art, at the end of the day it still is a business. Even if I am the most talented designer out there, I still need to have some knowledge about running a business venture. I somehow relate to the designers, stylist etc. out there since I'm also an artist... though I'm only an amateur.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberwyn View Post
^Why on earth did she want to get into fashion when she knew nothing about the fashion industry? So she isnt involved with the design process at all??
Well ... since she studied entreprenuerial studies ... she knew her goal was to build a successful business, any business that might work. So she was looking for something to invest her time and money in.

So, no ... she has had very little input into the designs , other than if she likes it or not and the cost to produce it and if it's doable to sell at her price point and make a profit. It had very little to do with the love of fashion ... it had to do with wanting to start a successful business and growing it. She can't even wear what they make ... they do plus sizes ... and she's probably wears a 2, at most.

She had a friend who could design, had some good ideas about what they could produce for the growing plus market and they partnered up. The friend is long gone now (after only the first year) ... but she's still there ... and is sucessfull. And she's had a few different people designing for her. She tests the market with each new design, learns what sells and adjusts her inventory to suit.

21-01-2009
front row

^Oh okay, that makes a lot more sense to me now! Im still curious as to what her line is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romantic Rebel View Post
BetteT, thanks for the encouraging reply....
I'm already on my way to starting my business plan. I've already done one in the past so it's not much of a problem for me.
The degree was definitely helpful. However, it is still not an assurance that we will succeed. Businesses are after all like gambling but with a lower risk.

kymberwyn, I too knew little about fashion and style but I would like to enter the industry. Maybe because I just like it and also have a passion for fashion like you guys have ever since I was little. I am just not that serious about it until now. Also, though we can say that fashion is art, at the end of the day it still is a business. Even if I am the most talented designer out there, I still need to have some knowledge about running a business venture. I somehow relate to the designers, stylist etc. out there since I'm also an artist... though I'm only an amateur.
ITA that fashion is a business, through and through. Some people in the GD area of this board get quite annoyed with me saying that And anytime people ask me on my blog or interviews what they should do to break into the industry, the first things I tell them are "take business classes, management classes AND some fashion classes as well", so I definitely agree with you!

I wasn't try to put down people who didn't know about the industry, not at all! To me fashion just seems like a weird industry for people who don't love clothes already.

21-01-2009
V.I.P.

No ... I understand that you weren't putting anyone down ... I know it was ust curiosity.

I won't share the name of the line publically, because she's very private in her dealings ... so she'd have a cow if it got out that I was talking about how she does business. With no name ... it's just generic advice.

I guess my point is that if you are a great business person, you don't have to "know fashion", nor even have a huge interest in it, to succeed. Although I think it helps to love your product and the more you know about it, the better you will be able to manage the people under you. I agree totatlly .with you .. and I say the same thing all the time, too ... take business courses ... don't rely just on just fashion skills or you will fail.

05-02-2009
windowshopping

Do you think a person could run a boutique online and also work another job at the same time? Or is the boutique itself a full-time job? I'm asking b/c I want to start a boutique but have a pretty good job right now. I don't want to quit my day job, just yet anyway.

05-02-2009
scenester

run a boutiuqe while working full time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayna View Post
Do you think a person could run a boutique online and also work another job at the same time? Or is the boutique itself a full-time job? I'm asking b/c I want to start a boutique but have a pretty good job right now. I don't want to quit my day job, just yet anyway.
You can do it, but make sure you get you research done before hand on how to drive traffic to your website.
This way you can respond to emails and ship your orders when you get home and only take time off work for your buying trips.

05-02-2009
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ester View Post
Hi...i hope someone can help me with this question....
Me and my mom wanna open our own shoes store, especially branded shoes i.e Louboutin, Blahnik, Miu2, pedro garcia, etc.
I just wondering how can get those all shoes?
should i go to the store?and just buy a bunch of those shoes?
Or should i go to the trade fair?

Sorry for this silly question.
I hope someone can help me.
Check out InfoMat for all the tradeshows related to shoes. Then start scheduling your appoitments. Good Luck!

05-02-2009
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayna View Post
Good question kimberwyn, I'm curious about that too. Anyone know?

Also, is anyone else going to the MAGIC Marketplace in Vegas in February? I submitted my registration form; I hope I get to go!
Yes, I will be there. Make sure you check out Pool, Project and Curve as well.

06-02-2009
V.I.P.

^ If you guys have some time , it would be great to hear your thoughts^ in this other thread also.

Trade shows around the world
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...rld-73359.html

24-02-2009
fashion insider

How To Start A High End Online Store Like: Tobi & luisaviaroma
hi.
i was thinking about starting a web store kinda like http://www.tobi.com/, http://www.farfetch.com/ and, http://www.matchesfashion.com/ . of course i wouldn't start off with that big of an invatory but i wanted to start selling a few designer stuff.
i was wondering how do i get high end designer clothes and accessories to sell on a web site? who should i contact. would i have to pay full price for each item to sell or would i get a a retailers discount?

desingers i was looking into were Martin Margiela, Rick Owens, and so on.

i wasn;t thinking of selling current collection items but maybe items maybe 1 or 2 seasons old. i am not looking to be a seller of vintage but to get into resale of clothes. i guess it would be like Marshalls or TJmax but high end and online.

i actually contacted a ebay seller whom was always finding a tone of high end designes to sell, she told me that she had a supplier she contacted from time to time and ordered things from them. she wouldn;t share her info with me but maybe one of you guys can tell me how to do the same.

i hope i mad enough sence

05-04-2009
front row

This thread is very helpful as I am planning on opening a boutique soon!

10-04-2009
V.I.P.

Hello everyone

I am bit lazy today, so I haven't managed to go through the whole thread yet
I am a one woman shop here in Luxembourg and I opened my shop almost 2 years ago

So if anyone has any questions or comments you know that you can contact me whenever you want. Maybe I will be able to help some of you out there

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boutique, brick, mortar, online, opening, operating, retail, store