How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-01-2006
tfs star

Feel free to ask me anytime, I am working as a buyer myself in a family-run business... Since I guess that you are not intending to open a huge business from the start, it would be best if you already did some research which lines or designers could work well for you and the market that you want to address. You may want to have a look at any of the bigger tradeshows in your area, just to see what´s on the market, especially when you are new, it will be difficult dealing with big corporate brand names like Dolce & Gabbana, Prada, Dior or Gucci, as it is likely that you will have to order A LOT from them... it´s a huge risk unless you already have the customers that are likely to buy merchandise from you, so working with smaller brands and designers will give you a much-needed flexibility in the first few years where you have to find your customer base.

11-01-2006
rising star

what kind of merchandise, brands, etc do you guys carry???

12-01-2006
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabel_lee
what kind of merchandise, brands, etc do you guys carry???
We currently focus on selling Y´s Yohji Yamamoto, Rochas, Bruno Pieters, Nicolas Andreas Taralis, Stephan Schneider and Anne Valérie Hash for women and Dior Homme, Martin Margiela, Stephan Schneider, Kris Van Assche and Raf by Raf Simons for men... it´s then rounded up with brands like Acne Jeans, Nudie Jeans, A.P.C., Schiesser (German company with extremely high quality jerseys) and assorted footwear/accessories to allow a less strictly runway-based styling with the designers... arguably, they also allow ourselves a faster cashflow, since the prices are remarkably lower than, say, a top from Rochas or Dior.

12-01-2006
windowshopping

I was just thinking about this. I am pretty new to this board and like what I see. I am possibly moving from CA to Va and thinking about opening one up too. I heard you have to know who to buy from (as far as wholesalers etc) is that true? The start up $$$$ is no prob..it's just the whole idea of who to talk to and what the steps are.. any ideas?

13-01-2006
rising star

I opened my boutique about a year and a half ago...it has been going pretty good I am glad I made it through the 1st year..that is the hardest...I could help anyone interested in finding wholesalers...and what is really involved. I am in New Jersey but travel to NYC alot for the showrooms and trade shows. You have to really be involved with the designers, I am constantly looking for new products...The hardest part is having new stock always available for the customers. My website will show some of the stuff I sell. I started small out of my home just to get people to know my name and what I sell..to build a cusotmer mailing list... Once you go to a few trade shows you will know what to buy, the minimums, and the terms such as immediates,cancel dates, delivery. The other thing to think about is your general business info, if you go online set up your business name to get a tax id number, this is something some designers ask for too.

Last edited by BetteT; 26-06-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Reoming link to on-line store, per tFS No Self Promo rules.
13-01-2006
windowshopping

in opening a boutique or store what are some of the most important things to do/know? if you were to give lets say just 5 things what would u recommend doing in order to be successful in your first year?

13-01-2006
rising star

1. Make sure you have at least 6 months worth of savings to pay major expenses, rent, phone,electric,...
2. Have a good customer mailing list to send out 20% off cards, info about upcoming events ...
3. Know enough about how to run a business, accounting, finances
4. Get creative with displays, incentive programs, events, do have trunk shows and fashion shows, major thing is to brand your name...do surveys to know what your customers are looking for, always ask alot of questions, KNOW YOUR CUSTOMER
5. take credit cards, this is a major way people pay for items, I take all of them...don't work about the percentage the credit card companies take you will make this back..people love convience.
6..Sorry I had to add one more...Location, location, location..
Oh and a website is always helpful...
I know this is more than five but I hope it is helpful

windowshopping

^^ how much money did you need to start? and did you do it on your own or with a partner?

16-01-2006
fashion elite

BellaDawn beautiful site...love ur stuff...
How much was ur total capital for your boutique? was it costly?
How many brands did u start with ?
For all you boutique owners, i would be interested in knowing what type of brands u carry and how many brands u carry..and most importantly how much it costed u?
All the best.
Thank u

follow the lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotineacetat
We currently focus on selling Y´s Yohji Yamamoto, Rochas, Bruno Pieters, Nicolas Andreas Taralis, Stephan Schneider and Anne Valérie Hash for women and Dior Homme, Martin Margiela, Stephan Schneider, Kris Van Assche and Raf by Raf Simons for men... it´s then rounded up with brands like Acne Jeans, Nudie Jeans, A.P.C., Schiesser (German company with extremely high quality jerseys) and assorted footwear/accessories to allow a less strictly runway-based styling with the designers... arguably, they also allow ourselves a faster cashflow, since the prices are remarkably lower than, say, a top from Rochas or Dior.
Are you able to sell the lesser known designers?

I'm asking because there's a boutique in Copenhagen, and i spoke to the buyer, she told me that they stopped carrying Undercover because it just didn't sell, because no one actually knew what Undercover were..

16-01-2006
scenester

Hello all, I'm fairly new to tfs, I hope you don't mind me jumping in. I'm very interested in this topic. I'm in the midwest with no fashion at all, seriously, except for 1 poorly stocked saks, but I believe there is a market here, especially for fabulous accessories. Are there any areas that some brands like, chloe, balenciaga, y-3, ysl, etc can't or won't send stock to? thanks

17-01-2006
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcisima
BellaDawn beautiful site...love ur stuff...
How much was ur total capital for your boutique? was it costly?
How many brands did u start with ?
For all you boutique owners, i would be interested in knowing what type of brands u carry and how many brands u carry..and most importantly how much it costed u?
All the best.
Thank u
Thank yo sooo much...
It was pretty costly for me I had to take out a loan over $50,000
I started with about 10 up and coming designers...luckily I live close to the city so I was able to go to alot of showrooms and trade shows to find good lines to selll

windowshopping

Bella Dawn.
I would really like to be in contact with you over the next few months. I am really interested and would like to be able to ask you questions here and there. IS that okay.?

What was the first thing you did?
How did you approach the designers?
Did you write a buisness plan?
:p

18-01-2006
fashion elite

I have another question..How did you set up your accounting system? what was the most costly thing you had to pay for? is the first couple of months negative profit or neutral or profit making?

scenester

belladawn, so kind of you to share this information, appreciate it! your website is LOVELY

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boutique, brick, mortar, online, opening, operating, retail, store