How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-06-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boutiqueananas View Post
Hi all,

I am opening a Boutique in Alberta, Canada but have zero experience in buying for the store.

I am currrently still in University, and have not been exposed to this side of the fashion idustry yet.

Do any of you know the best process or place to go in North America to do this?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum, boutiqueananas!

I'm glad you came here asking for advice! :p You just avoided one of the most common mistakes entrepreneurs make when starting a business: be reluctant to ask others for advice!

Since you haven't opened the boutique yet and you are still at the Uni and have zero experience in buying perhaps it will be a good idea to work as an employee in a similar (but successful, and well run) boutique to the one you want to open to gain some training. Talking or consulting with other boutique owners, not with the idea of getting their trade secrets but for learning from their insights (you can find them here or in your local business associations), may also help you. Otherwise I'm guessing you'll hire someone to compensate your lack of experience in starting and running a fashion boutique, or you'll enroll yourself in a business course to gain business and trade skills and knowledge.

Also confirm there's enough demand for the products you want to offer in your market and do more business planning (your success is not guaranteed just because you've found a market opportunity) before opening.

12-06-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0F0 View Post
Thank you! But you should also consider other opinions.

Why shouldn't take off?
Yeah definitely. I do know a couple of people who are pretty established within the industry in Asia so I'm getting advice from as many people as I can My main concern now is the feasibility of my business idea so I've made plans to sit down with some friends in finance and law to see how I can work things out. I just don't want to get ahead of myself. Still one semester of uni left to go! xx

26-06-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by belladawn View Post
I opened my boutique about a year and a half ago...it has been going pretty good I am glad I made it through the 1st year..that is the hardest...I could help anyone interested in finding wholesalers...and what is really involved. I am in New Jersey but travel to NYC alot for the showrooms and trade shows. You have to really be involved with the designers, I am constantly looking for new products...The hardest part is having new stock always available for the customers. My website will show some of the stuff I sell. I started small out of my home just to get people to know my name and what I sell..to build a cusotmer mailing list... Once you go to a few trade shows you will know what to buy, the minimums, and the terms such as immediates,cancel dates, delivery. The other thing to think about is your general business info, if you go online set up your business name to get a tax id number, this is something some designers ask for too.
its great,can I ask you who hosts the strore for you?

Last edited by BetteT; 26-06-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Editing quote.
27-06-2011
front row

^I think the post you quoted is several years old so I wanted to chime in. I've used two different shopping cart hosts for my store and I have trialed two others. I love volusion, I loathe yahoo stores, shopify seems decent for beginners, corecommerce has horrible support. I've also heard 3dcart is good. Its a good idea to compare and do trials of every shopping cart host, and talk with their support to see which is a good fit for you.

08-08-2011
trendsetter

I am currently planning the shop and still are certain things not 100% clear to me:
1. concerning the contemporary market for women how do usually pay your order as a newcomer? do you pay 100% in advance?

2. what are the minimum orders from brands like joie, equipment etc?

3. how much is one obliged to stick to the suggested retail prices? what if one wants to start sales, do coupon codes etc?

4. what happens with the clothes that you didn't sale in the season and also not in sale? do

5. how much do you usually order in advance and how much "space" do you let yourself to act/order spontaneously?

I would really appreciate if somebody could help me with (some of) my questions!

08-08-2011
V.I.P.

Some of these questions have already come up in this thread, if I remember correctly. So I suggest that you take some time to read it all. And there area also thread about showrooms and possibly pricing and sourcing ... so you might want to do a search for those threads, too.

14-08-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisa View Post
I am currently planning the shop and still are certain things not 100% clear to me:
1. concerning the contemporary market for women how do usually pay your order as a newcomer? do you pay 100% in advance?

2. what are the minimum orders from brands like joie, equipment etc?

3. how much is one obliged to stick to the suggested retail prices? what if one wants to start sales, do coupon codes etc?

4. what happens with the clothes that you didn't sale in the season and also not in sale? do

5. how much do you usually order in advance and how much "space" do you let yourself to act/order spontaneously?

I would really appreciate if somebody could help me with (some of) my questions!
2. Each brand is totally different.

3. Some brands do not want you reducing the sugg retail price at all, but it depends on the company, I think most understand that stores do discounts and sales to clearance out merchandise.

21-11-2011
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Starting a store for young designers
I have always wanted to start a store that showcases young talent. One that brings to gether talented designers that couldnt afford their own store. What suggestions and ideas can you give me? Also what kinds of organizations can one approach to back such an idea?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boutique, brick, mortar, online, opening, operating, retail, store