How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-02-2006
rising star

^^ Hi, I posted a similar Q weeks ago, but no replies. There are actually heaps of well made brands made in Spain and of course Italy that aren't as pricey as the fashion designer brands. There is a huge shoe show called Micam held in Milan and you could consider going there to source. I have given up on my idea, but the best of luck. Thely have usual minimums too as well as order minimum of 12 and over for each style of shoe. Need huge capital to start up I think. LEt me know how you go

24-02-2006
windowshopping

Hi Water Daisy,

Sorry to hear you have given up. Any particular reason why?

24-02-2006
rising star

For my location...Just too risky. People either buy cheap or they buy high end. Those on limted budget that are use to the luxury brands - tend to but during the sale times and it is hard for mid-priced brands to compete with the big labels, esp since they are not usually the trend setters. Big labels generally dictate the trends. The cheap shoes just copy trends as soon as they hit the catwlk. Mid-priced brands dont really ahve the image or exposure so people are reluctant to spend....unless you can source fabulous well made shoes which are also well designed and stand out and still priced at least 30% below the luxury brands.

25-02-2006
windowshopping

I'm doing a degree (UK) in economics, and I have no clue what I want to do afterwards. I want my own business eventually, but not sure which field. Opening a boutique, I think would be perfect for me. I'd love to work in fashion, and other careers in the industry aren't for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galliano-homme
if you have never worked in retail before think long and hard about trying to open a store its not as glamorous as you think.
What experience would help? Any retail job that's relevant?

Thank you for any replies.

25-02-2006
windowshopping

Assessing your market
Quote:
Originally Posted by water_daisy
For my location...Just too risky. People either buy cheap or they buy high end. Those on limted budget that are use to the luxury brands - tend to but during the sale times and it is hard for mid-priced brands to compete with the big labels, esp since they are not usually the trend setters. Big labels generally dictate the trends. The cheap shoes just copy trends as soon as they hit the catwlk. Mid-priced brands dont really ahve the image or exposure so people are reluctant to spend....unless you can source fabulous well made shoes which are also well designed and stand out and still priced at least 30% below the luxury brands.
Hmmm...seems you really have a good grasp of your market. I am currently surveying friends and friends of friends with various budgets to find out what type of brands/prices the market with bear. How did you go about assessing your market? Any suggestions?

09-03-2006
windowshopping

I am thinking about opening a boutique. some of my family produce clothing and home textile, so i am thinking that it would be nice to have own shop. now i made a test homepage. all of your help would be helpfull

http://www.freewebs.com/aureavita/

09-03-2006
V.I.P.

What I'd like to know: how do you contact brands that you want to sell?

10-03-2006
front row

Very interesting thread. I own my own business (not fashion related at all), so I'll throw my two cents in on some general business topics.

1) When you're thinking about opening a business a couple years down the line:

A) Save-build up your savings and keep your credit score good. Having good credit can help you in many ways. Starting a business will cost more and take more time than you think. Keeping patient and positive is really important.

B Get Organized- start building a contact database of potential suppliers and customers. There are some good computer based programs that are pretty easy to use or just a rolodex. If you attend a show and meet a sales rep for a designer ask for their card. Enter it into your database with info about where you met etc.. later that info can be used to contact them about an order. it can really open doors sometimes

C) Ask questions. Then ask more questions.

2) Starting up

A) Set up your business the right way. Get some advice about this and do it at the start. Examples: get a separate bank account, tax ID #. Keep your personal finances and business finances separate. Every dollar you spend on your business saves you money on taxes.

B Spend Wisely- control your costs with an iron fist, but sometimes you just have to spend large amounts of money on things that are central to the business. If you've saved money elsewhere, you will have this money to spend.

C) Know your partners very very well. Being partners with someone in a business is really akin to a marriage. there are lots of stresses.

D) Credit- when making large purchases inquire about credit terms. We use a printer for signs, brochures, etc. At first we had to pay 100% on delivery. A few months later, we were able to pay 1/3 at delivery, 1/3 30 days later, and 1/3 60 days later. A few of these deals can make a real difference.

E) Don't sacrifice lifelong relationships with friends or family over money. Be very careful about handling this. Only borrow money from people who have a very healthy attitude to money and finances even then only do it reluctantly.

10-03-2006
windowshopping

Me too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by style_expert
What I'd like to know: how do you contact brands that you want to sell?
I'm trying to find out the exact same thing. If anyone knows, please, please lend us your knowledge.

25-03-2006
fashion insider

Oh wow, it's cool to see all the info. here. It's also a kind of dream to have my own shop, but I have quite a successful career now, just not very good $$$ even though I love my design profession. I wonder if a boutique is a profitable venture? What do you think of clothes and accessories with "no brand" but interesting design? Will they sell? I can find some unknown designers with really cool designs, eg. doll-shape jackets, egg-shape coats, baggy sleeves, volume shorts, at very good prices, under $100, from Asian manufacturers (they are super quick in "feeling" for the next craze, and no, they don't copy, just develop designs along that concept), should I go for it? Do customers prefer brand-names at higher prices? Are they "prejudiced" by lower prices? I'm thinking of opening in Europe, which might be good cities to try? Are there very high tariffs for imports?

Would appreciate any input.

Btw, a good boutique in Berlin is Apartment. The owner is a horrible woman, though. My dream is to have something like that some day.

25-03-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by glittergrrrrl
belladawn, you gave some fantastic advice. I just recently started up my own online store (http://www.shopchiffon.com) and I am waiting for my merchandise to come. I found that it is very difficult to have a lot of brands right from the get go (on a budget at least!). I have ordered from about 10 brands but it will take some time for all of them to get there. It's hard when you want to order from so many more brands but each brand has you order for a March, April, and May delivery date.

fyi if anyone wants to know I will be getting in free people, development, mblem, harkham, etc within coming weeks hehe
glittergrrrrl fantastic website! congrats!

26-03-2006
windowshopping

wow, littlemuffin! thank you! i'm always so glad when people can appreciate the smaller websites when a lot of times the small business owners feel lost in comparison to those bigger .com stores that we shall not name but im sure you know which ones i'm talking about haha...

thank you again!

27-03-2006
windowshopping

launching a new streetwear retail shop. need some help :)
hi everyone,

me and my friend Marissa are thinking of opening a retail shop in Melbourne City later this year. We were deciding to stock our store with new designer labels instead of the mainstream huge labels that can be found typically everywhere. Our streetwear clothing style will be cool, arty yet designer stylish. Currently in the process of planning the summer 06/07 range, we havent really decided on anything yet because we are not too sure whether that will be a right decision, to concentrate on designer labels that are just getting out into the market. We may instead, pick up on 2 or 3 major brands..

It will be great if you guys could help us out to decide by answering some of the survey qns we've come out with below.
If u find that its too many to ans, ans how many u feel like, it'll still mean alot to us!
Thanks

1. Describe your style

2. Age Category

3. Male/Female

4. What is the price range you will spend for new designer labels(whichever's applicable for guys/girls)
-tee shirts
-singlets/ribbed tees
-shorts
-pants
-jeans
-skirts

5. Favourite hang outs

6. Favourite music/artistes/hollywood fashion icons (actresses/actors)

7. What magazines/journals do u read, how often is that?
-do u pick up free newsletters/magazines(eg.Fashion journal)/catalogues eg. m-one-11/industrie in stores?

8. What are your fave brand(s) and why

9. lIst your hobbies

Thanks heaps y'all .. we truly appreciate this.

XoXo
Micah
her_thoughtsandgames@hotmail.com

28-03-2006
rising star

I'll get us started...
1. Artsy (big jewelry, bright colors) with the occassional juicy tee thrown in.
3.Female
4.I don't spend more than $50, but I manage a resale shop, so I don't think that this is any help.
5.dive bars, the mall, thrift stores, bubble tea shops.
6.Rachel Feinstein
7.Every mainstream fashion mag @ work (vogue, bizzare, etc.), Domino & Cookie, weekly local music guide.
8.Juicy (mostly for the camp & irony), chanel (old lady charm), & Marni.
9.Chasing my toddler, going out every few weeks, thrifting, collecting Jadeite.

29-03-2006
bonjour antlers

That's great, slave_tofashion. I want to open my own boutique as well. Good luck to you!

1. Describe your style: Mostly feminine and fun fun fun.. I like mixing pieces and having a good time. I'm young so I can get away with it.

2. Age Category: 20

3. Male/Female: Girrrl

4. What is the price range you will spend for new designer labels(whichever's applicable for guys/girls): For new designers it's all about appearance and fabric. If it feels like good material I'll spend more..
-tee shirts: $10-24
-singlets/ribbed tees: $10-19
-shorts: $10-40
-pants: $10-70
-jeans:$10-200 (I'm denim-obsessed)
-skirts:$10-40 depending
- unique tops: $10-100

Lemme just say for basics like tank tops and stuff I wouldn't pay more than what Target charges. But for really cute, unique flowy tops or dresses and shorts I'd spend more since it's not something I can get elsewhere..

5. Favourite hang outs: Umm... downtown? I'm new to Seattle so I guess my current favorite hangout is walking down the Avenues.

6. Favourite music/artistes/hollywood fashion icons (actresses/actors):
Love all kinds of music. Audrey Hepburn, Gene Kelly, lots of Old Hollywood glamour... of course Kate Moss and most definitely Nina Garcia. I her style! Girls closer to my age whose clothes I love would probably be Rachel Bilson and Nicole Richie...

7. What magazines/journals do u read, how often is that?
-do u pick up free newsletters/magazines(eg.Fashion journal)/catalogues eg. m-one-11/industrie in stores?
Vogue, Bazaar, Elle, Glamour, Nylon, W, Marie Claire, Shape, Fitness.. online blogs.

8. What are your fave brand(s) and why:
Do you mean designers? Most of my favorites I can't afford, but I like pretending I can. lol. I won't get into all of them but I do love Missoni, Chanel, Betsey Johnson, Marc Jacobs, Costume National, Anna Sui, BCBG.. okay, you get the picture. The most brand-conscious purchasing I do is with jeans like Seven, Chip & Pepper, T Religion, Denim Library, etc.. but otherwise it completely depends on the piece itself.

9. lIst your hobbies: Running, shopping, reading, movies, writing, exploring the city, working as a slave at a salon... and the spa. I'm good at that.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boutique, brick, mortar, online, opening, operating, retail, store