How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-03-2006
bonjour antlers

Can you make a decent living by owning a boutique? What about being a manager for a boutique? I know I can just look up salary info on the web but I'd like to hear from people who actually own or work in a boutique (as a living).

It's something I'm really interested in.. since I love clothes and I really like dressing people up. And to be in charge of what brands you sell and how your store looks.. well.. it'd be perfect. So if anyone has any inside info they could share.. would be so appreciated.

31-03-2006
windowshopping

Very informative here. I always dreamed of owning a boutique but actually running one is more difficult and complicated than a person thinks. It takes a lot of planning, organizing and strategizing. I prefer online store but I know a brick and mortar shop generate more profits, I think. I prefer to start small and see what sells. I noticed most women conform to stylish and contemporary casual wear and some are big on big name brands. I don't think you have to carry brand names unless you plan to sell only to jetsetters who can afford such things. I also noticed surf-inspired clothing is popular in certain areas because it appeals to youth oriented market. I'd like to hear if it's really worth running a boutique even though there's a risk that it'd not be successfully within 5 years? I heard that if you successfully grew your profits over 5 years, then your business is good.

01-04-2006
windowshopping

Great thread! I have an online store launching in three weeks, and it's been such a crazy experience getting it all set up. Im having one final issue to deal with and that is finding a good payment processor. I have a grudge against Paypal and there are sites that complain about authorize.net and practically every other type..can anyone recommend a good one? I would really appreciate it.

07-04-2006
fashion elite

A friend of mine bought a top recently from a brand called Puka and we tried searching on the web about it, but found no info nor detail about the designer. does any1 happen to know anything about that designer? thanks

windowshopping

wow all this information is so useful. i've always dreamed of owning my own boutique. for all those who own one, did you just take business/management majors in regular schools/universities? or did you go to a fashion school for it?

26-07-2006
front row

wondering. okay so im going to open an online boutique (bellebliss) someday within the coming months. i have everything figured out (reg. business and account, site completed, photography, ect all taken care of or firgured out) except the merchandise. one person contacted me through my site *Please see tFS guidelines* and claims to sell authentic bags such as balenciaga, chloe, ect. I looked at their bags on eBay and they are totally authentic, only problem is that they have sold fewer then 5 items.
my question. . . .
what do you ask wholesalers????

Last edited by Hipkitten; 28-07-2006 at 08:31 AM.
27-07-2006
V.I.P.

i have a question directed to the boutique owners here and those that are paying rent or lease for a commercial space....what is NNN or Triple Net....is this in addition to the monthly lease payment? And is this required for all commercial leases?

30-07-2006
windowshopping

hi everyone! I really like "mix & match" style... Do you think it is really hard to get stock for such kind of boutique?

16-08-2006
windowshopping

Just renewing this thread as my bestie and I are opening a boutique too. Just wodnering how to approach major designers? I mean, we have to contact them before we get any stock and how do we get stock if they need to see what kind of business we are? Seems circular to me! I don't want to call then/email them and sound like an idiot

16-08-2006
scenester

I want a boutique! Online or bricks and mortar?
I have always dreamed of opening a boutique full of high end clothing (but not too high end, in the $100-$300 price range.)

Would it be most financially effective to open up an online boutique or a traditional bricks and mortar one?

Personal experiences, pros and cons, as well as any advice (as I am not very business savvy in this arena) are welcome. I have been upper management for a healthy stint, so I know managing others on behalf of someone else, but I don't have experience with making business decisions on my own, and certainly not in retail as I am at a medical device firm.

Thanks!

Bel
front row

I think it's impossible to say which will be more successful--it totally depends how you run it--but online is probably less risky.

18-08-2006
scenester

Do enough people still purchase things online? Is bricks and mortar safer because more people still shop that way?

backstage pass

If you open a 'bricks and mortar' store you obviously have to put a lot more money in it for workers, rent, and all the basic upkeep.

Online stores allow you to work whenever you want, sell at a lower price, and reach a potentially larger clientale but I think it depends on what you're planning on selling, where, and at what prices.

18-08-2006
scenester

I guess my main concern is that not everyone shops online. I think many but not all of people that frequent online forums do but we're not a very large percentage of the whole market.

front row

well, for high end clothing you're better off with bricks and mortar just because most people don't trust online website to buy these items and there are already the trusted famous websites that you will have to compete with. but on the other hand, if you're able to offer items that most people can't find in their local stores then you'll do fine. i think if you can do both , a shop with a website for international orders but if you work full time and you are opening a business on the side then do onlien first and see how it goes. a boutique will require your full time or else it will not turn out like you desire.

good luck with whatever you decide though!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boutique, brick, mortar, online, opening, operating, retail, store