How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-04-2007
backstage pass

ShelleyMelissa: I do think you may need to learn the ins-and-outs of importing. I am in Toronto and am looking to open a boutique in the suburbs and some of the lines I am thinking about do not have distribution yet in Canada. Make sure you know the import laws for textiles/apparel in Australia before you begin buying and selling or you could find yourself in some deep water with the tax-man.

15-04-2007
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Happiness*
i have a question directed to the boutique owners here and those that are paying rent or lease for a commercial space....what is NNN or Triple Net....is this in addition to the monthly lease payment? And is this required for all commercial leases?
Triple net lease or NNN is a lease in which the lessee(you) pays rent plus all taxes, insurance, and maintenance expenses that arise from the use of the property. That is what I have an most places do in this area.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by morenoj
belladawn - i love your boutique! i was thinking about starting an online boutique within the next year..soon as i get business license and account. i was wondering how did you go about get a wholesale lists? im planning on going to the up and coming seattle trend show in the next couple months... but what exactly do you do there? i've never been to one. what do you bring, do you buy the stuff there / have it delivered, what quantities, how much on average should one spend at each booth, is dropshipping available. any info would help.. thanks
Thanks so much!!..I basically gradually built up my wholesale list..I sent e-mails and made calls to some of my favorite brands and asked for line sheets or to visit thier showrooms( i live close to nyc, so it is east to go) Definately go to the trade shows, they are great and you can get ideas for new merchandise, up and coming designers. Whne you go it is usually for buyers to find new product and place orders. You don't have to bring anything except business cards to give to vendors, as for quantities they will usually tell you thier minimums, what you spend depends on the merchandise. Sorry for typos..

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezbatik
ShelleyMelissa: I do think you may need to learn the ins-and-outs of importing. I am in Toronto and am looking to open a boutique in the suburbs and some of the lines I am thinking about do not have distribution yet in Canada. Make sure you know the import laws for textiles/apparel in Australia before you begin buying and selling or you could find yourself in some deep water with the tax-man.
Thanks for the advice Fezbatik - when the time comes I will check out local laws here in Australia which govern clothing imports.

Are there any retailers out there who travel internationally to buy stock who can give me some advice on how they do it?

04-05-2007
scenester

Thought this might interest people.

http://education.independent.co.uk/m...cle2512140.ece

05-05-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardrifter
Just renewing this thread as my bestie and I are opening a boutique too. Just wodnering how to approach major designers? I mean, we have to contact them before we get any stock and how do we get stock if they need to see what kind of business we are? Seems circular to me! I don't want to call then/email them and sound like an idiot
you're probably going to end up sounding a little green, but who cares? everyone has to start somewhere. just go with it!

13-06-2007
windowshopping

Hey guys, I've never posted here before, but I was just wondering how people who have opened boutiques in Australia, (or those who mentioned they're planning to) are progressing? This is something I am interested in doing at some stage.

13-06-2007
rising star

i've recently opened a boutique in L.A. and i must admit...it's LOTS OF WORK but i am having a fantastic time doing it

getting new lines requires you to be consistently persistent....

lines i have acquired:

vivienne westwood
mcq
lefull
cnc - costume national
splendid
mike & chris
custo
jill stuart
betsey johnson
c&c
twinkle
park
mint
tarina tarantino
autumn
eugenia kim
etc..

i am working on trying to get anna sui and marc by marc jacobs and i think i will be happy but....they are a bit tougher..

19-06-2007
V.I.P.

^^^Congrats on your store!
I just sent you a pm.

19-06-2007
front row

Hey all! I am doing a webstore for fall. Mostly progressive euro designers and a few others as well. I'll post when I am up and running!

26-06-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabel_lee View Post
i've recently opened a boutique in L.A. and i must admit...it's LOTS OF WORK but i am having a fantastic time doing it

getting new lines requires you to be consistently persistent....

lines i have acquired:

vivienne westwood
mcq
lefull
cnc - costume national
splendid
mike & chris
custo
jill stuart
betsey johnson
c&c
twinkle
park
mint
tarina tarantino
autumn
eugenia kim
etc..

i am working on trying to get anna sui and marc by marc jacobs and i think i will be happy but....they are a bit tougher..
I am so proud of you!! You are living my dream!! I hope to someday open a boutique and then have a franchise, i am in the process and I know its a lot of work, but I love this and I am ready. I am 26 years old and I am just figureing out what I want to do.

27-06-2007
scenester

I am in the process of opening an online boutique and I am having a lot of difficulty securing accounts with designers. Everyone wants to see the site first or know who I have accounts with before selling to me. Some people just don't even respond. It is very frustrating, because I am not trying to sign anyone huge like Marc Jacobs or Chloe. I am looking at moderately priced, somewhat indie designers (ie, $200 to $700 price point) so you would think they would be more understanding! Especially since some of the websites I have seen certain designers on are just awfully designed and tacky, and I am investing in a quality website. For those of you who have done it, how do you secure the first few designers? Where do you draw the line between persistent and annoying?

28-06-2007
rising star

luck and knowing the right people helps.

if u could get someone to 'like' you and believe in the 'concept' of your store, someone would take a risk on you. you need to be professional at all times. i was able to acquire several lines that way. they liked my store concept and the fact i had a strong financial and professonal background (this allowed them to sort of trust in me that i will represent their line well in the store.)

28-06-2007
rising star

Thank you high maintenance. it took me over 20 years to make it happen so you are much more ahead of the game then me at age 26.

28-06-2007
rising star

here are few pictures of my store! sorry...but i am gonna be like a doting mom with her baby's picture...LOL..

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boutique, brick, mortar, online, opening, operating, retail, store