How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-04-2009
fashion insider

Again, does anybody know a specific school that deals with styling. Would that be called visual communication? Any help would be great. I don't plan on going to two schools, I just want to go to uni right out of high school. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

19-04-2009
fashion insider

I think visual communication is more like if you want to work in advertisement.
Styling like a clothes designer?

19-04-2009
fashion insider

Not styling like a designer, like styling clothes at a photoshoot. For example I want Emmanuelle Alt's job or Carine Roitfeld's job. I really can't find any schools that deal with that so do you think I should just start work at a magazine and not go to uni?

19-04-2009
fashion insider

Well I think that it's also considered as being a stylist. When I looked at the credits in editorials they often put down stylist for the person that took care of the clothes.
have you ever just googled the question? ^^"
It might sound weird, but sometimes when I needed advice for schools and co, I googled my question with the key words, and sometimes there were threads about it. It might help.

19-04-2009
fashion insider

Are you saying that I could take uni to be a designer and that would help with styling? That would be kinda cool. Yes I have googled it but there are no specific styling schools so I'm guessing going to uni as a designer. I'll definitely do some more research, I've got time anyways, I'm only 13 so...

20-04-2009
fashion icon

VogueParisLover have a look at the thread All About Becoming a Fashion/Wardrobe Stylist.

I'm sure there are other people on this forum who would be more help, but many stylists didn't actually study styling (it's not something like, studying law to becoming a lawyer, or medicine to become a doctor) but got into it through experience, or as mentioned, studying design.

20-04-2009
trendsetter

^VPL, I'm also interested in becoming a stylist, well rather a fashion editor. There is no specific route. But a knowledge of design and culture in general is mandatory. I figured studying English and Art History would aid me in my pursuit, but many other people go to design school and end up styling, which probably makes more sense

fashion insider

Well, I know that there is no path but it's seeming hard to find something that I will like in college. Maybe I wont go to uni. I don't want to be a stylist, more a fashion editor, that's why I posted in this thread because Bette told me I might get more responses here. I also posted in that thread too.

21-04-2009
V.I.P.

Sorry ... didn't mean to give you the runaround. I thought someone might know of specific courses for styling ... I am not familiar with Paris schools and their offerings.

However, if you want to be a managing editor at a magazine, like Carrine, or a fashion editor like Emmanuelle ... there is no clear cut path or education. You could study journalism, fashion design, art history, French, English, communications, marketing, liberal arts, graphic arts, almost anything that might land you a job (or at least and internship) at a fashion magazine. The rest would be up to you ... getting promoted, showing your talent, being a great team member who is dedicated to the job and making the right moves within the magazine to move into the department you were interested in. You would most likely start at a much smaller local magazine to build some experience and make it a goal to eventually work for a higer end fashion magazine.

Did I refer you to other threads about jobs in publishing and magazines? Those seem the most applicable threads for what you say you want to do ... to be a fashion editor or managing editor.

Last edited by BetteT; 21-04-2009 at 12:52 PM.
21-04-2009
fashion insider

Thats OK Bette, doing more research didn't do much though. It only told me what I already knew. But I think I've found out that I could go to college for Art/Fashion History or Journalism. Does anybody know any Art/Fashion History or Fashion Journalism universities in Paris? And to clear up the confusion, I want to be a FASHION EDITOR OR EDITOR, not a freelance stylist. Thanks everybody for your help.

05-05-2009
windowshopping

Ifm
Hi guys and gals, anyone knows abt IFM? is it the best school in Paris? heard many of my fds said it was so difficult to get in and they require you do a lot of assignments for selection.

05-05-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by johle View Post
Hi guys and gals, anyone knows abt IFM? is it the best school in Paris? heard many of my fds said it was so difficult to get in and they require you do a lot of assignments for selection.
It has lots of test before u can get in. My frd was eliminated at last....so sad.

front row

Anyone studying at Parsons Paris? I'd love to get in there and i'm interested in meeting someone who study/studied there.

10-05-2009
fashion insider

I just found out I wasn't taken at duperre... But I don't care really, I still have two other choices. But I was trying to figure out why, and I think it's because of my motivation letter. Advice I'd give you guys, try to not be too straight foward. It's the only piece they can really judge you on, and being too sure of your self might not please them. :S

05-06-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea.RL View Post
I just found out I wasn't taken at duperre... But I don't care really, I still have two other choices. But I was trying to figure out why, and I think it's because of my motivation letter. Advice I'd give you guys, try to not be too straight foward. It's the only piece they can really judge you on, and being too sure of your self might not please them. :S
Regarding Duperre, I've heard that its one of the best public fashion schools in Paris. However for the admissions, does it requiring you to be a french citizen graduating with a Bac?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chardon, fashion, french, ifa, paris, savard, schools, speakers