How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-07-2006
V.I.P.

I'm sorry, this thread made me laugh. anyhoo, there is no doubt there are rich kids that go to Parsons but then, so does every universities in Manhattan. There's always, grants, scholarships and student loans you can use. And IF you want to save, my suggestion is get room and board outside of manhattan-- like New Jersey across the Hudson. other than that , you will have to come from money that comes out of your A**.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth C.
Curious how most of the students can afford to attend. financial aid is available but the thought of $40,000+ debt right out of school is not one I like...

22-07-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartarse
I'm sorry, this thread made me laugh. anyhoo, there is no doubt there are rich kids that go to Parsons but then, so does every universities in Manhattan. There's always, grants, scholarships and student loans you can use. And IF you want to save, my suggestion is get room and board outside of manhattan-- like New Jersey across the Hudson. other than that , you will have to come from money that comes out of your A**.
Okay this may be news to you but students loans unlike grants and scholarships need to get paid back.

Rive Gauche. Rive Droite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanita13
Okay this may be news to you but students loans unlike grants and scholarships need to get paid back.
That's pretty much par for the course...I'd like to say that 9 out of 10 people in college are paying for it with the majority of the money coming from loans. With the exception of a few people I know, most are taking out hefty loans to pay for school, like myself.

22-07-2006
V.I.P.

I was researching colleges for a project in English, and I wanted either Parsons or Iowa State. (I know, big difference in schools, but Iowa State has a big architecture program.) Anyway, it's pretty silly when a public university is like, $8,000 a year, and Parsons is $40,000!

Now I know how the "starving artist" cliche got it's name.

22-07-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInNJ
That's pretty much par for the course...I'd like to say that 9 out of 10 people in college are paying for it with the majority of the money coming from loans. With the exception of a few people I know, most are taking out hefty loans to pay for school, like myself.
True and I hear you. I go to SVA and I'll be paying off my student loans probably for the rest of my life (or what will seem like it). But it's part of it, you need to do what you need to do.

V.I.P.

Majority of the students are on student loans. this is american, education for most is not free, unless, you have a 4 year college scholarship paid in full. If you're resourceful and smart enough, paying off the loans can be beneficial at tax time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanita13

22-07-2006
V.I.P.

that's the advantage of going to State universitities. Parsons is private. Unfortunately, Fortune 500 corporations' attention focus more on resumes with private university background. State university graduates are secondary, in most cases, per se.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilaughead
Anyway, it's pretty silly when a public university is like, $8,000 a year, and Parsons is $40,000!

Now I know how the "starving artist" cliche got it's name.

24-07-2006
mme
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesElectric
From Canada as well (Toronto) and believe me... I know how you feel. After changing the tuition fees that I KNOW of into Canadian currency I saw my life flash before my eyes.
From Toronto too, and want to go to Parsons as well. What's the tuition fee in Canadian dollars (the site was so confusing)? I'm kinda scared... but I think I need to know

Well, at least I have three more years to decide... but I don't know where else I want to go if not Parsons. FIT? Or somewhere in Toronto? And I'm not sure about Ryerson.

27-07-2006
scenester

i am right there with you! i went to pratt and am now in debt $38,000. first of all, the tuition is the highest in the state next to nyu - where is all of that money going????!!!!! the campus is pretty, but needs a lot of work. the professors do not get paid very much.

secondly, i had scholarships and grants, but not full. i still needed to take out money so i could pay the rest of my tuition and - oh yeah! - survive. eat, buy supplies, etc.

third, on the paying back, i pay almost $600 a month back. and i even consolidated. i will be paying money back until i die, i swear! all of the money goes to interest so the balance goes up and up and up.

i recently called my loan "counselor" to ask if there were any other solutions, and she sounded like she was about 12. i asked her if she was in a similar situation with her loans, and she said "oh, no, my dad took care of it". not all of us have parents that can pay back for us!!!!

it is frustrating. and as artists even more so because a lot of us (like me) freelance for a living and it is not always steady. i had to take a crappy 9-5 just to get a regular paycheck and benefits.

www.myspace.com/erinaceous_illustration
27-07-2006
V.I.P.

OMG poor american students! (i mean i know it was expensive but not THAT EXPENSIVE!)...i guess that's why "poor" people stay in **** while "rich" kids go to get a even better job than dad'. in France a 15,000$ a year school is - I think - the most expensive. and it's really expensive!!! it's absolutely insane to pay SOOO much for education!!!!!
have you ever thought of coming to Europe? the travel will cost a lot, the acclimatation might be hard (even if there're a lot of foreigners) but honestly this is less expensive.

what i do not understand is that, you guys, ask money to your bank??!! sounds really crazy!

27-07-2006
Meg
inspired contemplation

It's actually not less expensive in Europe. The only place it's cheaper is in places that offer entirely free university, like Sweden (but come to think of it, the girl i know studying there may hav an EU passport). I would be charged £10k a year (or 20k cdn) to study here and by the end of it I'm looking at student loans worth 100k CDN to study in the UK. It's expensive everywhere if you are an intl. student.

27-07-2006
V.I.P.

This thread reminds me of how good it's to live in Finland (which also has swedish as second language and as I speak Estonian too I have lots of cheap opportunites)

Seriously 40,000?
But I guess it opens many doors...

Last edited by indie; 27-07-2006 at 10:11 AM.
27-07-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartarse
Ahem, anything but Williamsburg, and you will get crucified at parsons...

27-07-2006
V.I.P.

now i know why american parents have college funds for their kids ..

27-07-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiamaria
now i know why american parents have college funds for their kids ..
america is all backwards. people are so dumb, there is no getting through to them. as soon as they hear that europe has higher personal income tax they get all superior and sh*t, and they don't want to hear about things like free healthcare, and free higher education. if they were to sum up the costs of healthcare insurance (plus all deductables, and copayments), and higher education (loans plus interest, which ends up being as much as the amount of the original loan, thank you very much), and all other crap they have to pay for out of pocket, they wouldn't feel so rosy...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, parsons, school, york