Parsons School of Fashion, New York - Page 7 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
01-02-2007
scenester

omg wow yeha that is pretty cheap.

05-02-2007
front row

All of this sounds like a nightmare. It makes me glad I dropped out of highschool and went the, "start your own business"-route. Everyone told me I was crazy, and I mean, everyone, but it all worked out fine-- of course, as long as you have direction and you know exactly what you need and how to get it.

I knew I didn't need a highschool diploma or college education.

But for others, $40,000? Christ. With interest, you'd really be paying much more than that. And if you miss payments, your credit score gets shot-- which leads to higher interest rates on everything like car loans, house loans and personal credit cards (even business credit cards if you open your own fashion design house/company) You can feel side effects for decades.

Sometimes I find it difficult to believe that it can really cost a University even $20,000 a student, if you add their costs of operating and salaries, it simply doesn't make sense to me. But I'm not familiar with the intricate financials involved with a university. Let's not forget that universities get tax breaks, and massive donations from the public, former students, parents of current students... That's millions of dollars. Factor that in.

There must be something that governments can do to bring tuition to a level that is affordable to all.

It should be criminal to levy a $40,000 loan on a young adult (we're talking 18 year olds, here, fresh out of high school) just so they can go to school and learn about what they love or just want to do in life.

Last edited by marsmars; 05-02-2007 at 10:01 AM.
05-02-2007
V.I.P.

I went to both undergrad and graduate, but not at Parsons. I am currently 113K in debt and slowly paying it off.

You just have to budget wisely always put crucial stuff like food, housing, and bills as priority. Anything else, you really need to ask yourself, "do I really need this???"

05-02-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by @~PinkCouture~@
I went to both undergrad and graduate, but not at Parsons. I am currently 113K in debt and slowly paying it off.

You just have to budget wisely always put crucial stuff like food, housing, and bills as priority. Anything else, you really need to ask yourself, "do I really need this???"

06-02-2007
scenester

As a Parsons student with friends at FIT and ST. Martins I feel like i should say something.....

Academically, Parsons isn't a better school than FIT but when it comes to reputation, Parsons is widely considered the better school (but that only gives the Parsons student a slight edge)....IF YOU ARE A FASHION DESIGNER: St. Martin is a much more creative school, (that's why it's called an art school) where students are taught one year of advanced sketching, sewing, pattern-making etc. and then they are on their own. They get one semester to come up with a portfolio collection and then a board reviews it, and if they think you have potential they'll take you on and you complete the program, otherwise you have to keep on re-applying...(AND MIND YOU THIS IS ALL AFTER YOU HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED TO THE SCHOOL)...Parsons is a much more technically school (that's why it's called a design school) and so there is little creative freedom in the designing process. You usually have to design things according to very strict guidelines (for lack of a better example, think Project Runway challenges) so everyone is kept on a very tight leash. Once you become a senior though, the program gets CUT THROAT! It's very competive to get into the senior show, and being showcased in the senior show is difference between getting your collection picked up Barney's (it happens alot) and being a drudge in some B-level production studio. Again, senior year, not for the faint of heart, I'm talking about sketch stealing, destroying other people's projects, cheating, the works. Seniors have to keep all the work LOCKED UP!

When it come to tuition....FIT is hands down the cheapest school to attend. It's like $4,000/semester for in state and $9,000/semster for out-of-state. They have housing but only for one year and then after that you have to get an apt. Parsons is REALLY expensive $42,000 (and rising) but it included housing and meal plan etc. For Int'l students St. Martin and Parsons are pretty much going to cost you the same. But for UK citizens ST. Martin is a much cheaper choice...

As far as feeling like everyone in Parsons being rich, it can certainly feel like that at times, it seems like EVERYONE has Balenciaga bags, Chloe Wedges, Blackberrys, Lofts in Soho, but remember that A) Having a rich mommy or daddy doesn't necsessarily give you any edge in the fashion industry Some people (like myself) buy clothes that they can't really afford C) Don't worry about what other pppl have coming out of their ***, worry about what you need to do so that you can have money coming out of you *** as soon as possible too.

And my last word, when you get to Parsons, hit the ground running. Freshman come a week before Fashion Week call around while your still AT HOME asking if any needs dressers (which is a cool albeit unpaid job) for their shows. The worse they can say is no. Also make friends with everyone in the Career Service Office. Many kids don't step foot inside the office until it's time for the job hunt...if you get in good with the internship coordinators/career service ppl they can reccomend you for jobs to employers before the job even goes public. Also try to build up your resume BEFORE you get to NY. The job search is alot more competitve out here and you need every advantage you can get. Lastly try to flush out your resume by trying your hand at every aspect of the industry. Intern/work at a magazine, a showroom, w/ a buyer, w/ a sales rep, in design , in PR, in retail. By the end of your four years, when the job comes down between you and the kid who has money coming out the *** (thus never had to work), who do you think will get the job?

06-02-2007
V.I.P.

My best friend went to Parsons. She regretted it

06-02-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBaby
You usually have to design things according to very strict guidelines (for lack of a better example, think Project Runway challenges) so everyone is kept on a very tight leash. Once you become a senior though, the program gets CUT THROAT! It's very competive to get into the senior show, and being showcased in the senior show is difference between getting your collection picked up Barney's (it happens alot) and being a drudge in some B-level production studio. Again, senior year, not for the faint of heart, I'm talking about sketch stealing, destroying other people's projects, cheating, the works. Seniors have to keep all the work LOCKED UP!

As far as feeling like everyone in Parsons being rich, it can certainly feel like that at times, it seems like EVERYONE has Balenciaga bags, Chloe Wedges, Blackberrys, Lofts in Soho, but remember that A) Having a rich mommy or daddy doesn't necsessarily give you any edge in the fashion industry Some people (like myself) buy clothes that they can't really afford C) Don't worry about what other pppl have coming out of their ***, worry about what you need to do so that you can have money coming out of you *** as soon as possible too.
I think some of this misleading. I am also a graduate of Parsons (2006) and I have never heard of any one destroying anyone's work during senior year. Maybe the classes under me are savages, but my fellow grads would never do such a thing.

Also, I would say that there is a chance of selling your thesis, but chances are it's not going to happen. I would say if anything the show is B.S. and only offers a PR opportunity for those who plan on launching their own line after graduation.

There is however the issue of clothes being sent out.

Lastly, it is possible to go to Parsons and not be rich. I for one happen to be nowhere near rich and managed to go to Parsons. I have held jobs several time throughout the course of school (atleast one semester each year with the exception of my first year) and I found my first job about 2 months after graduating. If you want to work you'll find a job and if you want to make it through the school, you'll find a way.

09-02-2007
backstage pass

pink why did your friend regret going?

11-02-2007
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouko
I do know that even though Parsons and FIT often have the same exact teachers, they have to teach differently at both schools. As my professors have told me before, they are not allowed to teach certain things at FIT, and often go through peer reviews to make sure everyone is on the same page or they get fired.
I g oto the art institute (private school in downtown manhattan) abd most of our teachers also teach at parsons and FIT. I am told by my teachers that at Parsons they have no way to provide individual, hands on attention/ demonstrations because there are too many students. this was a big part of why I chose a different school. the teachers can give you so much more whith a lowere student-teacher ratio.

Also, the people i know whe went to Parsons have no clue about reality of life in N.Y.C.

11-02-2007
backstage pass

But you have to remember that among the top 100 global universities, few are non-fee charging to local students (especially in the top 20). Many free schools are falling apart because they don't have donations from alumni, and do not have an endowment (this is very evident in North America when you compare established private schools with public schools). Alumni from fee-based schools are probably more likely to value their education from these schools and keep in touch with them years after graduation (the Old Girls' (alumnae) Association from my high school is very, very active, and now that women are making more money,our endowment is excellent for a girls' school in Canada.)

In any case, with tuition, Parsons is $15,135 per semester, working out to $30,270 US a year or approximately $121, 080 for the entire undergraduate program (there are 2 year associate's programs too and it would be half the cost, since it's 2 years). In Ontario, Canada, where all top tiered universities are government supported (though still fee-based), a typical undergraduate program will range between $5,000 to $7,000 Canadian per year (not including books, rent/dorm fees and such...expect to pay about $10,000 at least for that). Professional graduate programs, however, are another story, though it is still less expensive than Parsons.

$1 Canadian = $0.85 US

Info on the top 100 global universities: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14321230/site/newsweek/

Last edited by writergal28; 11-02-2007 at 08:59 AM.
11-02-2007
mme
backstage pass

Thank you soo much to everyone who has posted here, eventhough I'm now terrified

I have so much to ask.
1) So Parson's is $40 000 CDN / year? Does that include residence?
2) The only schools I know for sure that I am applying for are 1) Parsons 2) FIT. I'm in Canada, and there's nothing here. And I'm not planning to go to CSM. What else can I consider?
3) I am in grade 10. What can I do now to help me in the future? Extra classes outside of school? What about course selections?
4) What needs to be in the portfolio?! My dad says I should start working on it now
5) Is co-op useful? Or a waste of time?
6) IF I can graduate from Parsons/FIT, what's next?

..Any other advice?

I hope this somehow relates to the topic.. because I really need to make sure I want to go to Parsons because of the cost. Please help and I'll forever be in your debt

11-02-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mme
Thank you soo much to everyone who has posted here, eventhough I'm now terrified

I have so much to ask.
1) So Parson's is $40 000 CDN / year? Does that include residence?
2) The only schools I know for sure that I am applying for are 1) Parsons 2) FIT. I'm in Canada, and there's nothing here. And I'm not planning to go to CSM. What else can I consider?
3) I am in grade 10. What can I do now to help me in the future? Extra classes outside of school? What about course selections?
4) What needs to be in the portfolio?! My dad says I should start working on it now
5) Is co-op useful? Or a waste of time?
6) IF I can graduate from Parsons/FIT, what's next?

..Any other advice?

I hope this somehow relates to the topic.. because I really need to make sure I want to go to Parsons because of the cost. Please help and I'll forever be in your debt
What's CSM? You can consider Ryerson if you want to stay in Canada. They do a grad show for Holt Renfrew in forth year and that can get you some exposure.

The $40,000 DOES NOT include residence fees and books. A year at Parsons is more than a year at any old line boarding school in Ontario (where boarding tuition can be up to like $38,000...including rez and food)

20-02-2007
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmesweet
I think that Parsons is expensive, but what you get out of it is amazing. Look at Donna Karen, Marc Jacobs. They've made a career out of their education.

Donna Karan dropped out after 2 years...

20-02-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by educo
Donna Karan dropped out after 2 years...
Actually, she failed I believe out, studio methods or it's equivalent course at the time of her attendence.

What do you do after you graduate Parsons or FIT? Look for a job of course. If you're in grade 10, you've got 2 years to really think about things, right? I wouldn't sweat it so much. Goodluck in whatever path you decide to proceed with.

20-02-2007
scenester

ick i am in grade 9 and i am freaking out about what i am going to do. tho i have somewhat of a plan....but still parsons is ridiculously expensive but i really want to go there!!! are there any other places that are not so expensive but still as well known?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, parsons, school, york