Parsons School of Fashion, New York - Page 9 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
25-02-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBaby
Just so you guys know, you can't get really stressed out about the application process...and stop thinking if your're the right fit for parsons and think is parsons the right fit for you...fashion design is the most popular program at the school so classes tend to have more students (especially required classes)...

RANDOM BITS AND PIECES ABOUT PARSONS and FIT THAT I WISH SOMEONE WOULD HAVE TOLD ME WHEN I WAS APPLYING:

Parsons is a private school...your total costs after tution, fees, housing, meals etc.= $40,000-$45,000 USD (take off about $10,000 if you don't have housing)
FIT is a state school...your total costs after tution, housing, fees etc. will be about $25,000 (take off $10,000 if you're in-state resident)

FIT has a very small campus, Parsons doesn't have a campus at all...b/c of FIT's limited space they only have like two dorm halls thus you can only live on campus for your freshman year (this may have since changed in the last 2 years, but I don't think so)....b/c Parsons doesn't have a real campus they have buildings all over the village were they house kids and there are four freshman dorms (Loeb and union square are apartment style as in bedrooms living room kitchen union sq. have huge loft style suites gisele and leo used to live in the pent house of that buliding but the staff as in RA's and security guards are crazy strict DO NOT LET THEM CATCH YOU DRUNK SERIOUSLY DONT LET THEM CATCH DRUNK OR HIGH. 13th street and Marlton are dorm style as in bunk beds and all that-Marlton is GHETTTTOOO but the staff is really chilll as in they dont really care what you do) and 2 upperclassman dorms (in chelsea and tribeca)...If you are pursuing a BFA, foundation (first yr.) is gonna kick your *** no jokebut after that it gets better....Parsons is a realllllly liberal and kind of hipster-y (there are alot of misshapesw, cobrasnake, last nights party kind of kids) whereas FIT is a little bit more "suburban" (as in juciy couture, long guyland types) you can take classes at both Eugene Lang and Parsons and you get a B.A. and a B.F.A. when you graduate....um let me know if any highschoolers have questions b/c you need all the facts before you decide
THankyou!!
This is great... really want to go to Parsons..but it's still a point between the two for me..

25-02-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_bot
Khoipond, I know how you feel! I was shaking so bad when I opened my letter. I'm really sorry you guys are having such a hard time with the app. process. It's hard enough as is...
yeahh...I sent them an e-mail wondering about this..and after like a week..they told me that everyone gets this letter??

anyways..whatever.. I'm was kinda sure I was fine anyways..

25-02-2007
V.I.P.

Yeah, one of the schools I applied to sent me a letter a few days after I submitted my app. reminding me to send in all of my materials. It's just an acknowledgement that they got your application and a reminder for you

tfs star

My best friend went to Parson's and she said it was a total waste. Too much money, very little learned. She strongly discouraged me from going there. I'm considering applying (not to the design school, though), but her experience is giving me second thoughts.

05-06-2007
Press escape to continue.

Though academia may have its place in physics, sports and rocket science... and hobnobbing, and finding mates... there is nothing like working directly with the tools of the trade in the creative arts. I have no intention of wasting money on 'higher education'. I want to work and learn and grow from within!

29-06-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmesweet View Post
I think that Parsons is expensive, but what you get out of it is amazing. Look at Donna Karen, Marc Jacobs. They've made a career out of their education.
Michael Kors went to FIT (dropped out)
Narciso Rodriguez went to FIT
Calvin Klein Went to FIT

Donna Karen Failed Draping and dropped out of Parsons.

Marc Jacobs was a stock boy for Perry Ellis.

Its all about skills and your real determination over all net working not the school you went to.

You need to get peoples attention and get a positive reaction from people in order to really determine you position in the Fashion Industry.

29-06-2007
chat~

In a bio, Donna Karan dropped out of Parson's and worked for Anne Klein. Eventually she started her own label but she did continue studying at Parson's to finish her program (she wanted the skills)

I anyway agree with you said, mota
I guess.. the most important thing is, you really need to develop your own direction and know what you want to do and learn (so you can become what you want to be).
Sometimes though it is hard and you need someone to guide you.. In that case maybe a school known for great instructors is the best. I hear those at Antwerp Academy and Royal College of Art really try to push you to do your best. But anyway I think even a mood board is also kind of helpful for guidance?

Last edited by gius; 29-06-2007 at 12:35 AM.
30-06-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota3089 View Post
Michael Kors went to FIT (dropped out)
Narciso Rodriguez went to FIT
Calvin Klein Went to FIT

Donna Karen Failed Draping and dropped out of Parsons.

Marc Jacobs was a stock boy for Perry Ellis.

Its all about skills and your real determination over all net working not the school you went to.

You need to get peoples attention and get a positive reaction from people in order to really determine you position in the Fashion Industry.

Agree.. Very true

26-04-2008
rising star

i was looking through those US college sites, and for Parsons it saids 52.3% admission rate.
Now, I doubt that parsons acceptance:application ratio is 1:2.
samething goes for FIT, but fit is like 48%ish

am i missing something here?
srry for such a dumb question

26-04-2008
fashion elite

^^ That sounds about right. You have to think about it this way; admission is basically after acceptance and all the paper work is done, financial, housing,etc. vs. people who apply and get accepted. Admission is different from acceptance.

26-04-2008
rising star

ah that makes sense, thank you.

anyone know
he dropout rate for parsons? for BFA (Fashion design)? and AAS?

26-04-2008
fashion elite

High dropout rate. I think it's almost 50%. The fashion program whether it's BFA or AAS is no joke. Very intensive and round the clock work.

26-04-2008
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LovelyDay~ View Post
i was looking through those US college sites, and for Parsons it saids 52.3% admission rate.
Now, I doubt that parsons acceptance:application ratio is 1:2.
samething goes for FIT, but fit is like 48%ish

am i missing something here?
srry for such a dumb question
according to princeton review (which is pretty much always accurate) they have a 46% acceptance rate and 45% go.
since they accept for foundation year though, i dont know what the percentage is to get into the fashion program?

scenester

Ok guys, I have a question...I am about to graduate with a BA in art from a local college in nyc in the spring but I love fashion and I have few good internships under my belt already. So I want to attend Parsons to take draping courses, patternmaking, etc. Should I apply for the AAS degree because it's only one year for people who have a bachelor's already or do the BFA in fashion? I'm a little confused because I do not which degree would be more beneficial 2 me.

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaliah326 View Post
Ok guys, I have a question...I am about to graduate with a BA in art from a local college in nyc in the spring but I love fashion and I have few good internships under my belt already. So I want to attend Parsons to take draping courses, patternmaking, etc. Should I apply for the AAS degree because it's only one year for people who have a bachelor's already or do the BFA in fashion? I'm a little confused because I do not which degree would be more beneficial 2 me.

The AAS program in NYC is really 2 years. I think I met 1 person doing it in 1 year and she looked like she was on the brink of death. I really recommend taking your time studying fashion. Draping and patternmaking require really good technical skill, something that can't be covered in a year along with all the other classes you have to take ( Color theory, drawing, marketing, etc.)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, parsons, school, york