How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-09-2005
windowshopping

Parsons School of Fashion, New York
1) Do you need a one year art foundation to go to Parsons?

2) Dont take this the wrong way but these kids in my class were talking about Parsons and one person was like "did you know that 80% of the students there are asians?" i just wanted to know if thats true

30-09-2005
I loved you

2nd one seems like a total exaggeration ... there are asians there, but not 80%, or at least when I went to visit I didn't have that impression.

Last edited by breathe0xygen; 30-09-2005 at 09:09 PM.
30-09-2005
rising star

I did my bachelor of arts/fine arts with Parson's and Eugene Lang...
no more asians than whites, blacks, pinks or greens.

30-09-2005
backstage pass

If you are transfering, they want to make sure you are profficient in the basics. You should have credits equivalent to their foundations progra, basically life drawing, color theory and all that jazz. Just to let you know, they're more critical of transfer students. it's pretty hard to transfer in, while going through their foundations into the bfa fashion program its pretty easy.

As for asians, I would say 80%, I would say something like 50%..it seems a lot of students are from korea. The school is, however, about 76% female. At least that's what they told us during transfer student orientation (and just to give you a number, they said 5500 students applied for transfers into parsons and they only accepted 161, this is for all of degrees. I believe fashion accounted for about 50 or so students)

16-10-2005
front row

From Collegeboard.com

(1st Year Students)
  • 27% In-state students
  • 73% Out-of-state students
  • 0% Part-time students
  • 83% Women
  • 17% Men
  • <1% American Indian/Alaskan Native
  • 22% Asian/Pacific Islander
  • 5% Black/Non-Hispanic
  • 8% Hispanic
  • 30% White/Non-Hispanic
  • 23% Non-Resident Alien
  • 11% Race/ethnicity unreported

16-10-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamar Stern
I did my bachelor of arts/fine arts with Parson's and Eugene Lang...
no more asians than whites, blacks, pinks or greens.
Pinks and greens???? I'm scared to go there now

20-10-2005
V.I.P.

Does anyone on the boards here go to Parsons? I need to know if they have a magazine or any type of a student publication. I want to submit something. I couldn't find anything on the web.

16-11-2005
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouko
If you are transfering, they want to make sure you are profficient in the basics. You should have credits equivalent to their foundations progra, basically life drawing, color theory and all that jazz. Just to let you know, they're more critical of transfer students. it's pretty hard to transfer in, while going through their foundations into the bfa fashion program its pretty easy.

As for asians, I would say 80%, I would say something like 50%..it seems a lot of students are from korea. The school is, however, about 76% female. At least that's what they told us during transfer student orientation (and just to give you a number, they said 5500 students applied for transfers into parsons and they only accepted 161, this is for all of degrees. I believe fashion accounted for about 50 or so students)
I am in a community college now i want to apply to Parsons do u think i would have problems getting in?
I had to go to a community college because of my grades, no my GPA is good and i was wondering if its harder to apply from a community college?

04-02-2006
backstage pass

Parsons
For a Canadian student graduating high school, does anyone know what is required for admission?

Their website is really difficult to get around...

Thanksss

04-02-2006
backstage pass

International Students

In addition to the general application requirements, international students are required to submit the following:
  1. TOEFL Exam results: required if English is not an applicant's native language. Minimum score required: 580 paper exam or 237 computerized exam. The College Entrance Examination Board (CEE administers the TOEFL exam. International students should register for the exam at the earliest possible test date available. Visit the TOEFL WWW site for more information.
  2. Official Transcripts: Have original copies of your official high school and/or college transcripts sent directly to Parsons at the address above. Photocopies are not acceptable. International students must supply official English translations of all requested records. Untranslated documents will not be accepted.
  3. Read all requirements carefully. Only send the materials requested for the program to which you are applying.
You are not required to present any support documentation unless you are accepted into one of the degree programs. We request that you do not send such documentation prior to your acceptance.

Download the Application:
http://www.parsons.edu/applications/...pplication.pdf

You will need Acrobat Reader to open the application.

Hope this helps.

04-02-2006
backstage pass

It did THANKS so much

Being from Canada... what's this whole SAT's thing I keep hearing about and am I required to take them?

07-02-2006
windowshopping

About Parsons Master in History of Design
Hi, I'm new here. It seems like a lot of ppl here work in the fashion industry, so i would like to hear some advice from you guys. I'm just wondering if anybody has any idea about the Master degree in history of Design at Parsons? I have a Bachelor's degree in Art History, And now I wanna move on to something more industry oriented and more related to fashion. Can someone give me some suggestions whereelse i should apply?

Thanks a billion!

backstage pass

Parsons School of Fashion, New York City
Curious how most of the students can afford to attend. financial aid is available but the thought of $40,000+ debt right out of school is not one I like...

10-03-2006
backstage pass

I agree. I'm planning to apply and hopefully attend but I certainly don't have paper coming out my a**... so then as soon as I graduate... I'm in ****. Ironically.

10-03-2006
front row

I want to go to Parsons too. But, I'm from Canada...and tution + student fees = . Lol.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, parsons, school, york