How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-01-2007
front row

Petite Models
By petite, I mean under 5'7". I know there has to be some out there to model for exclusive petite lines. Are there certain agencies that accept petite models? I'm currently considering it as a possibility.

30-01-2007
V.I.P.

Almost non existant. The few retailers that use petite models, still usually want you to be 5'6". I've never come across an agency that reps them, probably because there's not enough demand. but there might be some.

I would look into contacting reatailers and designers of petite lines directly and see where they get their models from ... and if they don't use an agency, maybe you can submit pictures directly. If they do use an agency, then you've got a place to go.

30-01-2007
scenester

You won't find any agencies with petite divisions. It wouldn't make sense to have models that can only work for a certain type of job that rarely comes up.

I've been sent on a few castings for petite models, and from what I've seen, petite means 5'6 to 5'8. They still want tall, lean models, just not 5'11 ones.

30-01-2007
scenester

It depends on the type of modeling you want to do. I work in technical design (we fit garments on fit models to establish fit for clothing) and I know there's a need for good petite fit models. The go-to model agency that gets used a lot to book petite fit models is called Model Service. Elite Models and Ford Models also offer petite fit models. The average height of a Petite Fit model is 5'4". She is also a Missy size 8 (true size 8, not runway 8) on average. One of the fit models I work makes over $200,000 per year, as the job is very much in-demand. The one catch is that you can't gain or lose weight. HTH.

30-01-2007
V.I.P.

^ You are correct, Sam ... I forgot about fit models. Good information ... thank you.

But fit models are not fashion models ... it's another type of modeling altogether. All you have to be is have the exact measurements that they need ... and they measure everything. Essentialy they are mannequins ... but ones that can move and tell them how things fit and feel. It's not essential that fit models have photogenic faces ... they won't be used on the runway or in ads ... they use fashion models for that.

30-01-2007
front row

There's also glamour modeling. I mean, I have a friend who's 5'1" and gets steady work doing shoots and fashion shows. She's freelance but I'm sure there's an agency out there somewhere for glamour modeling, although a lot of it is swimwear/lingerie.

Honestly, I think if you have a certain "look" and the right connections you can get work modelling. I know some people who you would NEVER guess were working models for one reason or another, lol.

31-01-2007
front row

I did some petite modeling in Chicago in the nineties. I am 5'4" as were most of the others, a couple were 5'5" and we were all basically a 0 though listed 2-4 on our cards. There wasn't a ton of work, many did trade shows, acting and the like. The petite runway shows were often for Marshall Fields, Carson Pirie Scott, the Boston Store and occasionally Bloomingdales or Nordstrom. Fields, Bloomies and Nordstrom were fun and the clothes were nice; the others, not so much.

31-01-2007
front row

Thanks so much for the info everyone. It's nice to know that there's at least something out there.

01-02-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaBNYC
It depends on the type of modeling you want to do. I work in technical design (we fit garments on fit models to establish fit for clothing) and I know there's a need for good petite fit models. The go-to model agency that gets used a lot to book petite fit models is called Model Service. Elite Models and Ford Models also offer petite fit models. The average height of a Petite Fit model is 5'4". She is also a Missy size 8 (true size 8, not runway 8) on average. One of the fit models I work makes over $200,000 per year, as the job is very much in-demand. The one catch is that you can't gain or lose weight. HTH.
"True 8" is like a size 2 or 4, right?

01-02-2007
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by writergal28
"True 8" is like a size 2 or 4, right?
no. By True 8, I mean the average 8 that represents the general population, what people buy from the stores. A size 8 fit model would be able to go to any store and buy a size 8 from the rack and it would fit her. hth.

01-02-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
no. By True 8, I mean the average 8 that represents the general population, what people buy from the stores. A size 8 fit model would be able to go to any store and buy a size 8 from the rack and it would fit her. hth.
That doesn't make any sense. Different brands have their own definition of size 8. There isn't a standard anymore. I thought "true 8" means what USED to be a standard size 8, or what is usually sized as 4 today.

01-02-2007
scenester

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense. Different brands have their own definition of size 8. There isn't a standard anymore. I thought "true 8" means what USED to be a standard size 8, or what is usually sized as 4 today.
Huh? I'm a veteran womenswear technical designer working in the fashion industry. What I wrote would make sense to every technical designer working in the fashion industry. There is a standard, that's why you can call any modeling agency and ask for a size 8 fit model and they all have similar measurements (note similar, not exact because no two people are exactly alike, but they are very similar--they could be slightly different in some areas or have different builds, and then some companies fit their clothes tighter or looser depending on their customer). Some high end designers have size 8 fit models which are smaller, especially if their customer base is younger/thinner/more in shape than the American mass market, but people who buy high end designers don't necessarily buy from the mass market also. A true 8 is a standard American size 8 in the current American mass market. It's irrelevant what a size 8 "USED" to look/fit like 50 years ago, unless you're dealing with vintage clothing.

Last edited by SamanthaBNYC; 01-02-2007 at 07:55 PM.
01-02-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Huh? I'm a veteran womenswear technical designer working in the fashion industry. What I wrote would make sense to every technical designer working in the fashion industry. There is a standard, that's why you can call any modeling agency and ask for a size 8 fit model and they all have similar measurements (note similar, not exact because no two people are exactly alike, but they are very similar--they could be slightly different in some areas or have different builds, and then some companies fit their clothes tighter or looser depending on their customer). Some high end designers have size 8 fit models which are smaller, especially if their customer base is younger/thinner/more in shape than the American mass market, but people who buy high end designers don't necessarily buy from the mass market also. A true 8 is a standard American size 8 in the current American mass market. It's irrelevant what a size 8 "USED" to look/fit like 50 years ago, unless you're dealing with vintage clothing.
I know what a "true 8" is based on numbers on a sizing chart, but those numbers often translate to a 6 once it hits stores (and yes, I am talking about mall/mass market places--my measurements come out to a standard catalog 2/2P, but I usually take 0/0P and sometimes even 00). That's why I was asking.

Also, why is a petite fit model a size 8? I would have thought she'd be smaller, because the standard fit model is also an 8 (or are they 10s now?)?

Last edited by writergal28; 01-02-2007 at 08:34 PM.
04-02-2007
scenester

Quote:
I know what a "true 8" is based on numbers on a sizing chart, but those numbers often translate to a 6 once it hits stores (and yes, I am talking about mall/mass market places--my measurements come out to a standard catalog 2/2P, but I usually take 0/0P and sometimes even 00). That's why I was asking.

Also, why is a petite fit model a size 8? I would have thought she'd be smaller, because the standard fit model is also an 8 (or are they 10s now?)?
A size 8 in the Sears catalog or website would be a size 8 in the Sears store, it doesn't translate to a size 6 in their store. A size 8 in their catalog will fit the same as a size 8 in their store. Same would be true for JCPenneys, Eddie Bauer, Macy's, Express, Victoria's Secret, L.L. Bean, Gap, Land's End, et.al--the size you buy in their catalogs/online is the size you'd buy from their stores, they are not making a special batch of "downsized" clothes for their stores. I'm a Missy size 8, the clothes I buy from the catalog/online fit the same as the clothes I buy in the store (and I'm a technical designer, so I'm well aware of fit). I've worked for the mass market brands, the clothes that are sold in catalogs/online are the same as the clothes that are sold in stores.
A petite model is a size 8, because that's the medium size. A petite model is smaller, in height, and that's what's accounted for in the fit.

04-02-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
A size 8 in the Sears catalog or website would be a size 8 in the Sears store, it doesn't translate to a size 6 in their store. A size 8 in their catalog will fit the same as a size 8 in their store. Same would be true for JCPenneys, Eddie Bauer, Macy's, Express, Victoria's Secret, L.L. Bean, Gap, Land's End, et.al--the size you buy in their catalogs/online is the size you'd buy from their stores, they are not making a special batch of "downsized" clothes for their stores. I'm a Missy size 8, the clothes I buy from the catalog/online fit the same as the clothes I buy in the store (and I'm a technical designer, so I'm well aware of fit). I've worked for the mass market brands, the clothes that are sold in catalogs/online are the same as the clothes that are sold in stores.
A petite model is a size 8, because that's the medium size. A petite model is smaller, in height, and that's what's accounted for in the fit.
In my experience (and that of other people I know), the size you see on sizing charts in a catalog is at least one size larger than what the shopper would fit into. For example, my measurements (and I've had my measurements done professionally) tell me that I am a size 2P at Banana and J.Crew. However, I always end up swimming in a 2P and have to go a size (or two) down.

Last edited by tFS Mod Squad; 05-02-2007 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Please refer to tFS guidlines.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
models, petite