How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-09-2008
windowshopping

in my experience its the photographer that decides which images s/he wants in the magazine and then it is up to the art director to decided form this selection... if the art director isnt happy with the selection then the photographer can then decided to show more images
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentina83 View Post
hi everybody!
a little question...

when a magazine ask a photographer for an editorial, who is in chanrge of the selection of the pics?

Is the photographer who pick the 8 photos for the editorial or is the artistic direct that after he has saw most of the pictures choose the 8 that would be published...?

and what about if the photographer doesn't like them?

thank you so much!

01-09-2008
windowshopping

In my experience. The photographer edits them down before he gives them to the editor. She then choses her top 8 and sends to the creative director. Its a joint effort for the Photographer and Stylist. But if it is the fashion editor who is hosting the shoot... they always have final say on the top 8. trustttt

17-02-2009
windowshopping

Magazines editorials: how to begin
Hy to all the forum.

I'm new here and I'm surprised from the quality and wideness of the posts.

This is the only fashion-exaustive-extremely-usefull forum about fashion that I could find.

I would like to post a question about magazines.

Do you know same fashion magazines that accept editorial proposals from young and emerging photograhers?

Thank you very much,

Luca

18-02-2009
fashion elite

http://www.dirrtyglam.com/ does I think.

rising star

i <3 this

18-04-2009
windowshopping

This is a great post guys thanks so much. I have a few questions about obtaining the pieces for the shoot.

Do most beginners (like me ) buy the clothing for the shoot themselves and eat it as part of cost of doing business? Or do magazines usually offer you the pull letter readily?

I have the go from a local magazine editor to go forward with my editorial concept but I have never done "editorial" type shoots for anything other than my own portfolio.

Should I go ahead and ask him for the pull letter? And after that do i just present this to the clothing companies ? The clothing i will be using are this season's and already in the malls.

Thanks so much for any help!!

19-04-2009
V.I.P.

Welcome to tFS, IppikiOkami!

For more information about how to set up a editorial shoot, you can go to this thread:

The Process of doing Editorials or Photo Shoots for Magazines

I"ll answer your question there ... it's more appropriate there, I would say ... this is more about submissions than the process of doing an editorial shoot.

Last edited by BetteT; 22-04-2009 at 05:29 PM.
20-04-2009
tfs star

This may be moved (or removed) but is there currently a known list of magazines that accept submission work, either from photographers (or stylists). I would really love this info.

windowshopping

This thread...
very nice to see on here. I am new here and am pleased with the site.

tfs star

I'm not sure if this is the right section but my question is:
How much can a photographer be expected to be paid either for submissions or if he/she is commissioned by a publication to do eds?

front row

this is a great thread. i'm an aspiring photographer that's currently still in high school so while i don't any amazing advice to offer, i can say this.. on flickr, there are a few magazines with group pools where you can submit your work. lula, i-D, urban outfitters, dazed and confused, dujour, and others have "contributor searches."
indexhibit is also a great site builder for creating an online portfolio.

05-12-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANZO_358 View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right section but my question is:
How much can a photographer be expected to be paid either for submissions or if he/she is commissioned by a publication to do eds?
If it's a local publication (not Vogue, for example) ... the answer is nothing to not much (like maybe $150 to $250). Just like models .... photographers do it for exposure and to put it in thier portfolios and on their resumes. It looks good to prospective paying clients ... might help the tog get the catalog job or negotiate higher pay because he's "published".

Only the very top photographers can command a high fee for shooting edotorial. I heard from a photographer friend who knows someone at Vouge and got a tour of their offices, that they pay some of the top guys $50,000 and way up for an editorial. And sometimes, Ms. Wintour doesn't even use it ... still pays, though. So, that's the other end ... if and when you get famous.

Last edited by BetteT; 05-12-2010 at 03:16 PM.
05-12-2010
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
If it's a local publication (not Vogue, for example) ... the answer is nothing to not much (like maybe $150 to $250). Just like models .... photographers do it for exposure and to put it in thier portfolios and on their resumes. It looks good to prospective paying clients ... might help the tog get the catalog job or negotiate higher pay because he's "published".

Only the very top photographers can command a high fee for shooting edotorial. I heard from a photographer friend who knows someone at Vouge and got a tour of their offices, that they pay some of the top guys $50,000 and way up for an editorial. And sometimes, Ms. Wintour doesn't even use it ... still pays, though. So, that's the other end ... if and when you get famous.
Ok thanks Bette.

front row

We're trying to get a pull letter for a fashion mag we want to submit to, and they're telling us to send them a mood board of our concept ahead of time. We usually do inspiration boards for our shoots, but how do we put together a mood board for a magazine editor? I mean, should we stick to more abstract photos that inspire us? Because usually we have other peoples work on our inspiration boards (hair, make up from other editorials/clothing from stores and other mags) -- is this a big no no?

30-07-2011
rising star

No, they're expecting to see how you're visualizing the shoot, and if you have references on the board to other people's work that's expected. Just write a statement about what is on the board and send it with the image, explaining what is on it and how the pieces all fit together and what is not there.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
accept, editorials or photos, fashion, good, issues, magazines, photographers, print, submissions, submitting, to or working