How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-09-2008
windowshopping

Catwalkshows reffering to Jesus?
Hi! I'm new here, and i have a question.

Right now i'm studying Fashion and Branding and we have to make a sort of book for a museum that 's about a style icon (the museum has to be able to start a collection inpsired by my book). I didn't want to be cliche and pick Audrey Hepburn or Marilyn Monroe (even if they are fabulous) so i went and chose Jesus as the ultimate -style- icon. Now i have to link Jesus to fashionshows and such. Here in the Netherlands we already have a brand that's called " GSUS" and i'm gonna refer to the Eastpak edition with a picture of Jesus too but i really need some fashion shows with small referrals to Jesus , or even priests or nuns. (think; crosses and such)

does anybody happen to know a show? Thanks so much in advance!

(Please keep in mind that I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I'm not trying to be offensive.. i just wanted to work 'outside' the barriers and try something new. I'm sorry if anybody was hurt by this post. It is not my intention. )

01-09-2008
fashion icon

there are many designers whose works are religious. such the most recent Ricardo Tisci for Givenchy. he's fw 08 show was filled with religious inspired clothes and accessories. i faintly remember various designers had nun inspiration in their collections.
also, in less high fashion, a lot those underground gag t shirts have slogans on it like 'jesus is my man' or something.

01-09-2008
go red sox

Jean Paul Gaultier has done a lot of religious-themed collections, the most recent of which being his S/S 07 couture show:

http://www.style.com/fashionshows/re...07CTR-JPGAULTI

trendsetter

What an intriguing project, Penny L. I understand that you're not trying to offend anyone, but nonetheless religion as fashion is a touchy subject, so tread carefully. I remember a few years back there was specifically a trend for pictures of the Virgin Mary and also Jesus to be printed on clothes (t shirts, dresses and such), but I can't recall the designer or clothing brand that started it. Hopefully one of the fashion experts on TFS will enlighten us.

01-09-2008
windowshopping

guys thank you so much! You seriously have no idea how much you've helped me.. I was really unsure about my chosen subject.. but now i believe i can totally do this!

01-09-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUXU View Post
also, in less high fashion, a lot those underground gag t shirts have slogans on it like 'jesus is my man' or something.
yeah i remember this stuff from '03 when i also saw a lot of Von Dutch hats

the homepage is here, check out the backstory
http://www.jesusismyhomeboy.com/

01-09-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasolineRainbow View Post
What an intriguing project, Penny L. I understand that you're not trying to offend anyone, but nonetheless religion as fashion is a touchy subject, so tread carefully. I remember a few years back there was specifically a trend for pictures of the Virgin Mary and also Jesus to be printed on clothes (t shirts, dresses and such), but I can't recall the designer or clothing brand that started it. Hopefully one of the fashion experts on TFS will enlighten us.
Teenage Millionaire

and it is indeed a really touchy subject. I've had the idea for a while but I know it can be really offensive.. so i did ask everyone in my class and various teachers if they would be okay with it.. but almost everybody was very much excited and anxious if i could link Jesus to fashion..

01-09-2008
Fat Karl

Like others have mentioned before...
Here are some runway shows that deal with religion

Gaultier Haute Couture Spring/ Summer 2007
Catholic iconography

YSL Fall/ Winter 2005
Nuns and clerical inspired fashion

Givenchy Fall/ Winter 2008
Catholic influences in Latin America

Christian Lacroix Haute Couture Fall/ Winter 2002
Like Givenchy, inspired by Catholic influence in South America

Dior Haute Couture Spring/ Summer 2006
French Revolution and Spanish Inquisition

Dior Spring/ Summer 2007
This one may be a bit of a long shot, but it's Joan of Arc, who was inspired by God and visited by angels to fight for France. Also, the show had a set that was reminiscent of a medieval cathedral.

Alexander McQueen Fall/ Winter 2007
Inspired by anti-Christ, Salem Witch Trials, Demons and Devils, etc.

Calvin Klein Spring/ Summer 2008
Another stretch, but this Calvin collection was inspired by the Hutterites of Montana who are an Amish-like, Anabaptist religious group in America.

Riccardo Tisci Fall/ Winter 2005
Catholic/ Religious iconography. Catwalk featured a giant, wooden cross.

style.com

Not many shows deal explicitly with Jesus, per say...but many deal with Christian/ Catholic imagery.

However, wasn't there one McQueen collection with a model wearing a crown of thorns with a white gown...was it the rain collection?

Last edited by gius; 01-09-2008 at 04:43 PM. Reason: added source
01-09-2008
Storm & Sommer

dior_couture1245 elle.com or style.com ?

PennyL maybe you could search / ask in the runway music thread if there has been any musical inspiration ever drawn from religious/clerical music..if you want that angle as well?

pinterest : hanneonpin
01-09-2008
Fat Karl

oh, sorry! All are from style.com

front row

For journalism I need to ask three people above the age of 20 if they read a newspaper in the last two days and when they do get their news where do they get it from? It would be a great help. Thanks.

11-09-2008
rising star

links needed: military uniforms and ads
No idea where to put this request but it is for an art design project so I figured I'd go with this section:

Does anyone know of any websites that have GOOD, CLEAR photographs/drawings of military uniforms throughout the ages and for a variety of countries?

And also looking for links for fashion ads. Not just the normal vogue or well known brands but really everything. Is there any kind of directory?

12-09-2008
V.I.P.

hi there ^ you can find a ton of ads in the Ad Campaigns forum
current fashion ads and vintage
national and foreign, etc.
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f79/

23-09-2008
backstage pass

How/When do you get inspired?
I was wondering this since I have to find the things that inspire me for a project.
I found it very hard to find inspiration at command. So I wondered.....

How/When do you get inspired?

For me it often comes when listening to music or being in nature.

23-09-2008
Geometric Discharge

I get inspired very randomly, and they tend to be around a lot of the same things.
I'm really, really fussy about what I like, so I don't get inspired often.

And when we're given crappy projects like "Archive" I just hit a brick wall and I am like paralyzed to do much until I find some sort of inspiration.

Inspiration is very important to me.
See the 'Inspiration' thread in 'Personal Style'

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brands, case, celebrity, fashion, homework, industry, influencing, inspired, internet, lifestyle, luxury, needing, nurses, quick, research, student, studies, university