How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-07-2010
V.I.P.

Uh ... mini skirt! It was invented in the 60's by Mary Quant. Before that, skirts were mid calf in length ... all of a sudden ... the were above the knees!

Boots (either ankle high or just below the knee for women worn with skirts and dresses) .... boots had never been worn with short skirts before.

Gucci prints and Mondrian style Prints .... both employed big graphic patterns, brignt colors and are possibly the forerunners of todays' modern prints.

For guys ... skinny pants, slim jackets with natural shoulders, skinny ties ... everything close to the body. It was a real change after the 40's and 50's baggy pleated pants, lwide shouldered jackets and fat ties.

"Mod" was all the rage then.

I could go on ... but I won't.

Last edited by BetteT; 19-07-2010 at 10:35 PM.

20-07-2010
scenester

Introduction of the tuxedo suit for women by Yves Saint Laurent

He also was the first (or one of the first) that did a sheer top with breasts exposed on women, but I'm not sure if that was in the 60's

20-07-2010
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonpeg View Post
What subject are you writing it for? Media?
yup! i wish we were given more direction, i am hopeless with the world being my oyster!

windowshopping

Thank you so much BetteT and ChristianThomas, you've been a huge help

My next assignment is about clothing from the ancient times until today, and I'm looking for some movies and/or TV-shows that accurately show the different kinds of clothing during the different times (especially the middle ages, renaissance, baroque, rococo and neoclassical). It's just to get a more visual idea of the timeline, so the movie itself doesn't have to be great as long as it gives a good (and accurate) impression of the clothes

27-07-2010
V.I.P.

That's a tough one. If you don't already know what is "accurate" how can you know if a film or a TV show depicted the costumes accurately? I wouldn't even want to take a stab at that one. A tremendous amount of films tend to glamorize everything, hence making it very unlikely that it's an accurate depiction of what people actually wore.

So first ... I would think that you would need to study the period carefully, then look at films and shows, to see if they got it right.

Another thought is to research different film/TV costume designers and find out if the are known for historical accuracy ... then take a look at some of their work.

Or do some online research ... I Googled "historical accuracy in costumes" and found:
http://www.costumersguide.com/design.shtml
http://www.historical-costumes.net/movies.htm
http://www.hetvfilm.com/production_management.php

I"m sure there are many more that might lead you to some good films and shows that seem to be accuarate.

Last edited by BetteT; 27-07-2010 at 12:31 PM.

27-07-2010
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristal View Post
Thank you so much BetteT and ChristianThomas, you've been a huge help

My next assignment is about clothing from the ancient times until today, and I'm looking for some movies and/or TV-shows that accurately show the different kinds of clothing during the different times (especially the middle ages, renaissance, baroque, rococo and neoclassical). It's just to get a more visual idea of the timeline, so the movie itself doesn't have to be great as long as it gives a good (and accurate) impression of the clothes
BetteT is absolutely right, movies tend to make things more glamorous or even just a bit more current. It wouldn't be the best source for reference.
I'd say go check out the books or the internet for photo's of the real garments or replica's. I bet your library has big a book or two about fashion history.

But if you are dying to see a movie, you can try Orlando (by the book from Virginia Woolf, starring Tilda Swinton).. it goes through about 300 years of story/fashion. I can't quite recall whether they're exactly the right ones you're looking for but for costumes it's a good watch. But as said I can't tell you that their accurate, you'd have to research that. You can always use it as a reference on how people now portray the clothing of the past.
(and it's a great great movie and story, so it's fun too watch even if it's not of much use!)

28-07-2010
windowshopping

Thank you so much for the suggestions

I've gone through quite a bit of text and images already, but it's a lot to take in and I was thinking it would be easier to remember everything by watching videos (I have a hard time learning just by reading). I guess you're right though, most movies probably wouldn't be very accurate. But I'll give Orlando a try

28-07-2010
V.I.P.

Is there any example of a movie that glamourized the times? That's an interesting idea, I didn't even realise.. I think you could also check art history/ paintings since those will have been made right in the present day, they are more like snapshots, documentation of the current period. Copied straight from life.
You'd have to also watch out for who you're looking at, because you might only get one side of it.. the wealthy class are often portrayed since they were the ones able to pay, but there's also Pieter Breugel (renaissance) for example who's done a lot of scenes of workers and the poor.

28-07-2010
unspecified

I THINK that both The age of innocence and Dangerous Liaisons were quite accurate, specially the beggining of the last one, because it shows how much effort was put into getting ready.

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style
05-08-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpabela View Post
Hi everybody,

I am working in the fashion industry for a big French fashion house and I’m writing you because I would like to have your opinion on multi-brands online stores.

As you know, the most famous luxury online stores are Net-a-porter, eluxury, luisaviaroma, thecorner.com, forwardforward and websites of luxury department stores…

I would like to know:

Do you really hesitate to buy fashion items online or is it a natural thing for you?
Do you prefer to buy in a “real” boutique, to have a “store experience” or you don’t really mind: your priority is to find the product?
Are you completely satisfied by these online stores?
In terms of services, products offer, what would you like to have that is not currently available on these websites?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH in advance for your feedback and your help.

Jean Philippe
Hi these are my answers

Do you really hesitate to buy fashion items online or is it a natural thing for you?
At first i did but now i have become so comfortable with shopping online that it is exactly like shopping in a real store
Do you prefer to buy in a “real” boutique, to have a “store experience” or you don’t really mind: your priority is to find the product?
To tell you the truth i enjoy both kinds of shopping, for me its not about finding the product its about the experience. For example i like shopping in "real" boutiques because its a relaxing past time for me and the internet shopping is just so convient and easy.
Are you completely satisfied by these online stores?
I have been a loyal customer to net-a-porter for 5 years now and i like luisaroma too they have been very good to me. Im going to try out forwardforward because they have a nice looking and organized site.
In terms of services, products offer, what would you like to have that is not currently available on these websites ?
Reserving items would be great i know thats a hard thing to establish but like reserving something for me for 3 days would be great i hate it when my items are soldout. In terms of products a more diverse selection jewellery would be great

Last edited by BetteT; 05-08-2010 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Adding quote ... it's an old post.
15-08-2010
tfs star

Ask: Fashion Against AIDS
Hi dear all,
right now I'm doing my final thesis for the uni, and I'm choosing Fashion Against AIDS as the theme of my thesis. Well I need more info about it, I already got some articles that helps but I still dig for the history, causes and some other brands who doing the charity works and how it's working.
If you have any good links or info or articles about it, it would be really help so much.
thanks

17-08-2010
V.I.P.

I am carrying this over from the Elsa Schiaparelli thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotguntolove View Post
Does anyone have the book "Shocking: The art and fashion of Elsa Schiaparelli'?
I'm writing a research essay on Fashion and Surrealism, and it would be such a great help if someone could scan the pages about Dali and Schiaparelli (specifically about the skeleton dress)
Thanks so much!!!!!!!

02-09-2010
windowshopping

I'm doing an assignment about celebrities that have made an impact on today's fashion, any suggestions? Both male and female.

11-09-2010
backstage pass

My dream school is requiring a well-developed paragraph addressing the answer to this question

Quote:
Pick one woman in history or fiction to converse with for an hour and explain your choice. What would you talk about?
Im thinking about Coco Chanel for being an influential historical figure. But I desperately need exact record of her famous quotes on the freedom of clothing for women (it's a single-sex school Im applying to). I've also heard that Coco has a sense of humor but dont know particularly how it is.

So please help

13-09-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristal View Post
I'm doing an assignment about celebrities that have made an impact on today's fashion, any suggestions? Both male and female.
If I am thinking today as in TODAY - 2010, Michelle Obama comes to mind. Now there are celebrities who are muses to designers (Ciara to Tisci) but I don't know if the designs from a collection make it to the street. But that is it's own question, are you referring to what people wear on the street or what a designer creates a collection around?

Not necessarily celebs, but Mad Men has influenced what we've seen on recent runways.

Doris Duke influenced one of Michael Kors' collections.

Italian films have influenced recent Dolce & Gabanna and Prada collections.

One thing to do is to go to style.com and for each collection there is a blurb and the designer usually discusses the inspiration for the collection in that blurb.

Bette Paige and others influenced the hipster look.

If we are reaching back, hip hop artists influenced fashion, an example is the over-sized hockey shirts worn by Snoop Dogg.

For a while, there was a symbiotic relationship between Gucci's Tom Ford and hip-hop artists like Sean Combs and Mary J. Blige.

Last edited by agee; 13-09-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brands, case, celebrity, fashion, homework, industry, influencing, inspired, internet, lifestyle, luxury, needing, nurses, quick, research, student, studies, university