How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-01-2011
scenester

Hello,
For uni I have to write a 8000words about Catwalk or Runway shows in Cinema.
Ive been researching and Ive found some films; Rome, Coco after Chanel, Pret a porter, Gia, Blow up, Bruno, Catwalk, Devil wears Prada, Sex and the city..
But does any of you remember of any other???.. Im feeling a bit lost, as the theme is a bit general and I dont know where I should focus. Thanks you so much

04-01-2011
windowshopping

TFS! I need your creative help!
Hi everyone, so I am an undergraduate student studying business administration right now. My entire next semester revolves around this huge project where I will be working with a group of classmates to make a complete business plan around a product. Before I can do that I need to brainstorm possible ideas for this potential product that we could be building a prototype for. What I want to ask all of you here at TFS is:
1. What in your opinion or according to published articles, are the most popular fashion trends RIGHT NOW?
2. Can you think of anything that doesn't already exist (like a tool, accessory, etc.) that you would like to be manufactured?

I really appreciate all your help!

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
hey all,
So I have this admissions essay to write and the topic is basically give a biography of your life including any work experiences, hobbies, extracurricular activities, etc. etc. Anyway I've been putting it off because i don't know how to write an essay about any of those things in an interesting way or how I can make it interesting while still including relevant information about work experience, etc. etc. Any thoughts or ideas? I'm really grabbing at straws here people
I've recently finished mine. One thing I've heard admissions people say is, don't start it with 'Ever since I was little I wanted to do this' Because thats how 99% of them start and they're sick of hearing it.
Also, when mentioning hobbies and extracurricular activities they want to see how you can relate the skills you use in these activities, to skills you need for the course you want to do.
Eg. Going to dance lessons for 10 years... Shows you have dedication to stick in at something.

scenester

Hi!

I'm doing research for my graduating collection, and I'm gonna be working with re-design. I know there are some designers who's done this before, but can you please help med with locating the collections? On the top of my head i only remember Martin Margiela's Artisanal!

22-01-2011
Geometric Discharge

Just a question about couture:

What is the average number of fittings for a suit/a dress that a client will have to attend?

23-01-2011
backstage pass

Does anyone know where I can find a video of Martin Margiela's 1992 show at the Salvation Army?

And, what are some runway shows that challenged fashion or that were really different from the norm? So far I have one of McQueen's and Hussain Chalaya's.

Thank you!

Last edited by hepburn; 23-01-2011 at 02:35 PM.
30-01-2011
trendsetter

hi guys, i was wondering if you could help me with some research for my dissertation. i'm looking at american luxury fashion & consuming in the 80s and 00s. i'm writing a bit about it in general and focusing on brands that were important at these decades, such as ralph lauren and armani for 80s, and louis vuitton and marc jacobs for 00.

can anyone suggest me any specific reading material, or even, an interesting topic to be discussed within that? thank you !

30-01-2011
V.I.P.

I don't know exactly where you want to go with this ... but I'd be interested in learning about the growth and popularity of any particular brands during those decades and analyzing why that was happening. In other words were there a socialogical, economic and political things going on that alllowed the popular brands to grow ... to make them relevant to that particular decade? And if you are comparing the 80's to the 00's ... were there differnces and were there similarities and why?

09-02-2011
trendsetter

hey, thanks so much for the answer!

it's gone a lot more specific now and i'm slowly making it clearer.

i've decided to only concentrate in ralph lauren throughout the decades and with that pull the idea of the construction of american identity. i'll probably be looking at their campaigns a lot, and doing my lit review on advertising, branding, consumption and american identity.

does anyone have any suggestions with reading material?

10-02-2011
V.I.P.

Check out all of our threads about Ralph Lauren and Polo ad campaigns ... I've done the search for you: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/sea...rchid=19095417

Unfortunately, they don't go back that far ... but it's got a lot of stuff from the most recent decade.

Last edited by BetteT; 10-02-2011 at 02:17 PM.

13-02-2011
V.I.P.

Could somebody check this for me, please please please?

The College Film Club is glad to invite you to take part of our club my meeting us every Monday at the College Theatre. In every film session we will watch a different movie and have a debate about it afterwards.
Only one requirement: English only! Don't forget we came to Ireland to improve it.
Every month, we will have a guest speaker at the club, and so far we have already counted with the collaboration of the dean, the major of Dublin, and the recently awarded young actress Adrienne Moss. This upcoming semester we plan on inviting more guests so we can all learn from their personal experience.
This club is not only "movie-watching" based, but it's also a good place to meet fellow students with whom you share mutual interests. And we do have a coffee bar open until the movies end -which is usually pretty late, if you know what I mean!
Don't hesitate, join us now!

V.I.P.

And this one too... Much appreciate it, karma will be on its way...

"Sanfermines"

The Sanfermines is a festival celebrated in the city of Pamplona, located in the North of Spain. The history says that this tradition comes from the 14th century when Spanish people used bullfighting as a social act and as part of religious ceremonies in honor to Saint Fermin, who was part of a Roman senatorial rank and is co-patron of Navarre (region of which Pamplona is the capital of).

Nowadays, the festival starts on the 6th July at 12.00 and lasts a week until the midnight of the 14th of July. Although the whole week is packed with events and folkloric activities, what tourists come to see is the running of the bulls. This consists on running in front of a dozen of bulls through the narrowest streets of Pamplona. But, there is a reason to do this, this way the bulls are moved to the place they will be killed next morning.

You don't need to be a professional to take part in this, anyone can join the run. The only requirement is to be at least 18 years old.

One of the funniest aspects of this tradition is the attire, the runners wear all white and a small red scarf tied around their neck. Actually, most visitors also wear them to be even more into the celebration.

I don't really like the fact that people use animals for fun, but during the running of the bulls they don't get hurt, so I am kind of okay with it. And, although I am not Spanish, now that I live in this country I have understood that any tradition involving bulls is really big to Spanish people and I think the whole world can recognize these from this country, so I think it is good to keep them because they are identificative somehow.

backstage pass

I'm confused... what do you want us to search and look into?

V.I.P.

^I thought you could correct it for me? I think I've posted it here many times before, but maybe I am in the wrong thread?

backstage pass

The College Film Club gladly invites you to take part in our club, which meets every Monday at the College Theatre. During every film session we view a different film, which is followed by an open discussion and debate.
There is only one requirement: the meetings are in English only! Don't be discouraged, we came to Ireland to improve our English, and the club meetings will do just that.
Every month we will have a guest speaker at the club. So far we have a collaboration with the dean, the major of Dublin, and the recently awarded young actress Adrienne Moss. This upcoming semester, we plan on including more guests so that we can learn from their experiences.
The club is not solely "film-watching" based, but it's also a great place to meet fellow students whom share mutual interests. We do have a coffee bar open until the film ends, which is usually pretty late.
Don't hesitate, join us now!

-------
I can do the other one later, I'm just heading out now.

Hope this helped!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brands, case, celebrity, fashion, homework, industry, influencing, inspired, internet, lifestyle, luxury, needing, nurses, quick, research, student, studies, university