How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
14-02-2011
  646
windowshopping
 
ShatteredVisage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: 441-02
Gender: femme
Posts: 3
"Sanfermines"

The Sanfermines is a festival celebrated in the city of Pamplona, located in the North of Spain. According to Historians, this tradition comes from the 14th century when the Spanish used bullfighting as a social act and as part of religious ceremonies to honor Saint Fermin, who was part of the Roman senatorial rank and co-patron of Navarre (region of which Pamplona is the capital of).

Nowadays, the festival starts on the 6th July at 12.00 and lasts a week until the midnight of the 14th of July. Although the whole week is packed with events and folkloric activities, what tourists come to see is the 'running of the bulls'. It's an event that involves sprinting in front of dozens of bulls through the narrowest streets of Pamplona. The purpose behind this run is to get the bulls to the bull ring where a Matador will defeat them in a fight the next day.

You don't need to be a professional to take part in this, anyone can join the run. The only requirement is to be at least 18 years old.

One of the funniest aspects of this tradition is the attire, the runners wear all white and a small red scarf tied around their neck. Actually, most visitors also wear them to feel the involvement in the celebration.

Though I don't agree with the idea of using animals for fun, this run does not really harm the bulls in anyway which makes it okay. And although I am not Spanish, now that I live in this country, I have understood that any tradition involving bulls is really important to Spaniards. It makes up a big part of their culture and is a source of identification for them as a nation, and therefore very significant. Because of this reason, I think it is essential to keep such traditions alive.

---------

I took a whack at it too. I hope it's alright! =)

  Reply With Quote
 
14-02-2011
  647
rising star
 
xbryony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London
Gender: femme
Posts: 110
Hey everyone, I hope you can help me!
Basically I'm starting my final major project (Fashion Journalism) and we have to create our own magazines/websites as a way to express ourselves, our skills, what were all about and what we want to go into, preferably.
The ideas have to be pretty damn good and innovative, which is hard enough when most things have already been done these days. After giving several ideas to my tutor and my tutorial group, everyone seems to be pushing me towards focusing on a blogazine kind of thing looking at peoples wardrobes.
I know there is showmeyourwardrobe, which features in Elle UK also. I'm sure I've seen more of this kind of thing too (if you know any blogs/sites that do this please share the names!) so I'm just wondering what these sites aren't doing that I can pick up on.
Bare in mind, the brief is 10,000 words in total, and should be a variety of pieces not just 10 x 1,000 words in the same style. We can use two photo shoots which will knock 1,500 words of the required word count, and I'm trying to do this as styling is where my ambitions lie.
Anyway, so far I have the ideas of looking at collectors wardrobes, and looking at people who use the capsule wardrobe idea, very minimalist but perfect pieces, also people who wear all black vs people who strictly wear colours (no black at all) once I've found these kinds of people of course. Maybe I can do small shopping features to complement these so I can get something more than just pictures of wardrobes w/ interviews in there.
I just don't know how I'm going to pitch this as something that will really grab the tutors as it doesn't seem that original to me, but as I say everyone seemed to want me to pick the wardrobe idea and showed very little interest in the other ideas, so I'm trying to stay on their good side by going for this...
Does it all sounds a bit pants? Is there other sites already doing this? Is there anything I'm missing which could be an awesome feature to this idea? Any snippets of advice would be so so so appreciated!

__________________
  Reply With Quote
01-03-2011
  648
V.I.P.
 
Kate_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,877
Could someone correct this for me? Karma will be on its way...

Psychoanalysis is a therapy that treats mental disorders by investigating the interaction of conscious and unconscious elements in the mind, and bringing the hidden ones to the conscious mind so we can analyse them and treat them. This, to me, sounds weird and doesn’t make me want to give it a try. I know many people might believe in it and actually be treated and cured with this method, but there are also a lot of people, such Albert Einstein, against it. I think it’s a very controversial therapy, and that itself makes me insecure about its truthfulness.
From my own experience, I don’t think I would lend myself to psychoanalytic treatment, because I don’t believe in the “physic subject” as Freud called it. I do think that we are ill because of real illness, or some kind of pain –but not because of our mind tricking us to see the world in a different way. I have been to many doctors through all my life and I believe in medicine, but not in this kind of treatment, because its method doesn’t make me confident about the therapy.

__________________
A FASHION INTERN THAT RUNS (ERRANDS, THAT IS) http://mar-adam.com/
  Reply With Quote
01-03-2011
  649
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Birmingham
Gender: homme
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbryony View Post
Hey everyone, I hope you can help me!
Basically I'm starting my final major project (Fashion Journalism) and we have to create our own magazines/websites as a way to express ourselves, our skills, what were all about and what we want to go into, preferably.
The ideas have to be pretty damn good and innovative, which is hard enough when most things have already been done these days. After giving several ideas to my tutor and my tutorial group, everyone seems to be pushing me towards focusing on a blogazine kind of thing looking at peoples wardrobes.
I know there is showmeyourwardrobe, which features in Elle UK also. I'm sure I've seen more of this kind of thing too (if you know any blogs/sites that do this please share the names!) so I'm just wondering what these sites aren't doing that I can pick up on.
Bare in mind, the brief is 10,000 words in total, and should be a variety of pieces not just 10 x 1,000 words in the same style. We can use two photo shoots which will knock 1,500 words of the required word count, and I'm trying to do this as styling is where my ambitions lie.
Anyway, so far I have the ideas of looking at collectors wardrobes, and looking at people who use the capsule wardrobe idea, very minimalist but perfect pieces, also people who wear all black vs people who strictly wear colours (no black at all) once I've found these kinds of people of course. Maybe I can do small shopping features to complement these so I can get something more than just pictures of wardrobes w/ interviews in there.
I just don't know how I'm going to pitch this as something that will really grab the tutors as it doesn't seem that original to me, but as I say everyone seemed to want me to pick the wardrobe idea and showed very little interest in the other ideas, so I'm trying to stay on their good side by going for this...
Does it all sounds a bit pants? Is there other sites already doing this? Is there anything I'm missing which could be an awesome feature to this idea? Any snippets of advice would be so so so appreciated!
Have you thought about combining psychology with the wardrobe idea. Pick 10 or so people, look at the colors and styles they choose and how they shop. Then do a personality questionnairre to look at whether they are introvert/exrovert etc (look up Myers-Briggs personality type). Do extroverts wear red?, what type of person buys for one season then replaces the wardrobe next season etc.

__________________
Adam Fraise Photography
http://www.adamfraise.com
  Reply With Quote
03-03-2011
  650
front row
 
papillote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris
Gender: femme
Posts: 369
KK Nardi posted an article and they say
Quote:
Fascinated by history, if more recently drowning in references to the past, Mr. Galliano at his best would reference exotically fashionable women like the Parisian hostess Misia Sert or the Marchesa Luisa Casati, as painted by Giovanni Boldini.
Anybody knows about the Misia Sert inspired collection ? I'm doing a whole project about her, I'm very very late and I'll have a grade for my baccalauréat !! And if I can talk about Galliano in my report it'll be awesome because in my conclusion I have to say why was she forgotten, top nowadays designer using her means she's not that forgotten, plus it has something to do with actuality so it's great !

__________________
La beauté sera CONVULSIVE ou ne sera pas
  Reply With Quote
03-03-2011
  651
tfs star
 
eugenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
I don't know exactly where you want to go with this ... but I'd be interested in learning about the growth and popularity of any particular brands during those decades and analyzing why that was happening. In other words were there a socialogical, economic and political things going on that alllowed the popular brands to grow ... to make them relevant to that particular decade? And if you are comparing the 80's to the 00's ... were there differnces and were there similarities and why?
BetteT, this is something that's fascinated me for some time now: WHY certain fashions were (are) created, and what stimulus in the world at that time elicited such styles..For example: Vionnet, Chanel, et al clothes were made as a response to the new ease of body movement women afforded by women once the corset had been banished, and Westwood's clothes were made as a rejection of the British "system," and Cardin looked to the future for his inspiration once space-travel became a reality in the 60's. And that's just off the tip of my head; I'm sure there are plenty of other examples out there. Great idea for a thread--I'm sure it'd definitely speak to the (fashion) history-buffs here

Status: Online
 
Reply With Quote
03-03-2011
  652
V.I.P.
 
BetteT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 20,416
Well ... it would make a great thread. Feel free to start it ... sounds like you have great information to get it going. I think probably it would fit best in the Fashion In Depth forum ... where we talk about fashion in general, rather than just post photos, but it certainly can be supplemented with photos to illustrate certain points.

Maybe title is something like this: Changes in Fashion and Societal Influences ... oh ... that sounds so dry! What about something like: "Designers who Changed Fashion ... When and Why does this Happen?" That's a bit more in line with the thread titles in there ....

__________________
Bette
** It's All in the Details! **
http://www.musecube.com/BetteT/
  Reply With Quote
03-03-2011
  653
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: London
Gender: femme
Posts: 1
H&M 2010 Scandal Crisis Management Survey
Hi all!

I'm a student from London College of Fashion and I'm writing a Crisis Management report on H&M's 2010 scandal which involved a NY store mutilating surplus stock, preventing many from stealing clothes during the coldest winter NY has ever faced.

All I need is your time to fill out the questionnaire below and I would be ever so grateful if you could complete it! Thanks!

ps: this is a definite time killer if you've nothing to do and just browsing around TFS haha

http://freeonlinesurveys.com/renders...ytq4ixg4873784

  Reply With Quote
04-03-2011
  654
V.I.P.
 
BetteT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 20,416
Tried and failed ... because I don't shop there ... so I can't answer the question about what do you buy there ... and that is a required answer. So, you might consider correcting that, if you are interested an answers from people who don't shop at H&M.

__________________
Bette
** It's All in the Details! **
http://www.musecube.com/BetteT/
  Reply With Quote
04-03-2011
  655
trendsetter
 
Katie123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
Check out all of our threads about Ralph Lauren and Polo ad campaigns ... I've done the search for you: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/sea...rchid=19095417

Unfortunately, they don't go back that far ... but it's got a lot of stuff from the most recent decade.
i forgot to subscribe to the thread so i only saw this now...thank you


guys, i was wondering if someone knew a site (or journal etc) where i can find sales figures for Ralph Lauren? i need to know what areas they sell more, what they sell more, etc! thank you

  Reply With Quote
04-03-2011
  656
V.I.P.
 
BetteT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 20,416
Have you tried to contact them? If it's public information, it might also be posted on their coproate site. If not ... maybe contact their PR/Press department and ask if it's available anywhere.

__________________
Bette
** It's All in the Details! **
http://www.musecube.com/BetteT/
  Reply With Quote
05-03-2011
  657
rising star
 
F0F0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Gender: homme
Posts: 108
Hiya!

I'm a fashion marketing & business freak based in London and study tons about the fashion industry in the UK.

If anyone is interested in knowing about this industry please contact me. I can give you general guidance FOR FREE with:
- Womenswear, accessories
- Online fashion retail
- Green and ethical clothing
- New products, services, technologies
- Consumers trends, U&A's, lifestyles
- Industry trends
- Competitors
- Fashion business and marketing

  Reply With Quote
05-03-2011
  658
trendsetter
 
Katie123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
Have you tried to contact them? If it's public information, it might also be posted on their coproate site. If not ... maybe contact their PR/Press department and ask if it's available anywhere.
BetteT you're always so helpful

i have a friend interning at their sales department now and asked her to try to find it for me, maybe she can just ask her boss? she wasn't sure if it was cool or not so she hasn't...but i'll try yes!

  Reply With Quote
06-03-2011
  659
V.I.P.
 
BetteT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 20,416
FOFO ... thanks for sharing!

I'm going to copy your post to Fashion Marketing ... I think your offer will be on target there.

If you like, pop into some of our other threads that relate to your background and offer your expertise in there by answering questions for our members, we'd love to have you participate right in the threads, so everyone can learn.

I did a search and found 2 pages of threads that might interest you (except for some of them that have "online" in the title ... which are not all about the business end of fashion). Go to this link for my search results: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/sea...rchid=19440357

__________________
Bette
** It's All in the Details! **
http://www.musecube.com/BetteT/

Last edited by BetteT; 06-03-2011 at 11:55 PM.
  Reply With Quote
07-03-2011
  660
V.I.P.
 
Kate_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate_Moore View Post
Could someone correct this for me? Karma will be on its way...

Psychoanalysis is a therapy that treats mental disorders by investigating the interaction of conscious and unconscious elements in the mind, and bringing the hidden ones to the conscious mind so we can analyse them and treat them. This, to me, sounds weird and doesn’t make me want to give it a try. I know many people might believe in it and actually be treated and cured with this method, but there are also a lot of people, such Albert Einstein, against it. I think it’s a very controversial therapy, and that itself makes me insecure about its truthfulness.
From my own experience, I don’t think I would lend myself to psychoanalytic treatment, because I don’t believe in the “physic subject” as Freud called it. I do think that we are ill because of real illness, or some kind of pain –but not because of our mind tricking us to see the world in a different way. I have been to many doctors through all my life and I believe in medicine, but not in this kind of treatment, because its method doesn’t make me confident about the therapy.
Please :p

__________________
A FASHION INTERN THAT RUNS (ERRANDS, THAT IS) http://mar-adam.com/
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brands, case, celebrity, fashion, homework, industry, influencing, inspired, internet, lifestyle, luxury, needing, nurses, quick, research, student, studies, university
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.