How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-03-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
FOFO ... thanks for sharing!

I'm going to copy your post to Fashion Marketing ... I think your offer will be on target there.

If you like, pop into some of our other threads that relate to your background and offer your expertise in there by answering questions for our members, we'd love to have you participate right in the threads, so everyone can learn.

I did a search and found 2 pages of threads that might interest you (except for some of them that have "online" in the title ... which are not all about the business end of fashion). Go to this link for my search results: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/sea...rchid=19440357
Thanks, BetteT, for relocating my post and the tips! And I was about to check those threads but I'm getting the Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms message! I'll try to locate them on my own, no worries and thanks anyway for your awesome member support!

And good idea about participating right in threads!

07-03-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybijoux View Post
Hi all!

I'm a student from London College of Fashion and I'm writing a Crisis Management report on H&M's 2010 scandal which involved a NY store mutilating surplus stock, preventing many from stealing clothes during the coldest winter NY has ever faced.

All I need is your time to fill out the questionnaire below and I would be ever so grateful if you could complete it! Thanks!

ps: this is a definite time killer if you've nothing to do and just browsing around TFS haha

http://freeonlinesurveys.com/renders...ytq4ixg4873784
i filled your survey out. please see our thread here for more reactions.
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f60...hes-93910.html

07-03-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate_Moore View Post
Please :p
OK ... but it's' going to be how I would write it ... not your way.
Quote:
Psychoanalysis is a therapy that treats mental disorders by investigating the interaction of conscious and unconscious parts of the mind. It attempts to bring the unconscious thoughts to the conscious mind so the information can be analysed and treated.

Many people believe in psychoanalysis and have actually been treated and cured with this method. However, there are also a lot of people, such as Albert Einstein, who have spoken against it. I think it’s a very controversial therapy and that makes me uncertain about its effectiveness.

I don’t think I would lend myself to psychoanalytic treatment, because I don’t believe in the “physic subject”, as Freud called it. I do think that we are ill because of real illness or some kind of pain but I do not believe that our minds might be tricking us to see the world in a different way.

Having been to many doctors throughoutl my life, I believe in medicine. However, this kind of treatment doesn’t make me confident about the outcome.
Is that quote correct ... "physic"... it seems like the wrong spelling? I'm certainly no expert on Freudian psychology.

Last edited by BetteT; 07-03-2011 at 10:26 PM.
08-03-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
OK ... but it's' going to be how I would write it ... not your way.

Is that quote correct ... "physic"... it seems like the wrong spelling? I'm certainly no expert on Freudian psychology.
I think it's physical, but thank you very very very much for the correction !

V.I.P.

You are welcome. I see a typo I made ... please correct that. It's in the last sentance ... the word "throughout" has an exta L at the end ... no idea why!

13-03-2011
rising star

The Psychology behind your closet... help me with my paper
I kind of feel like this should be both here and in the Personal Style thread, so I'm sorry if it should be moved, please PM me if you do move it though! I've started threads before that have been removed without notice or explanation

Anyway, so I'm looking at people's wardrobes for my final major project (BA fashion journalism) and I'm interested in writing a piece on the psychology behind people's wardrobes, whether it be the colours they are drawn to or the things they obsessively 'collect'. Google searching with the help of my Psychology graduate friend didn't actually get me very far, not many people seem to have focused on this area but I think it's kind of fascinating. Maybe I'm just weird like that.

Has anyone here read anything to do with the psychology of clothes or wardrobes? Or have any thoughts to share on the topic, like personal theories/observations?... Would be great to hear from you all

front row

the psychology of one's wardrobe seems like a huge topic that can be approached from many angles. i would try to focus in depth on one aspect rather than attempt to cover everything and produce a generic "your clothes say a lot about you" type of paper.

since this is a final project for a BA, it seems like you'll need to come up with a thesis statement (preferably something original) and then provide evidence to support it. not something tired like "people who wear all black are introverts" but something interesting. one time for a psychoanalysis class i did a short paper examining the difference between the thought process behind obtaining an item for one's wardrobe (marketing, cultural influences, status, etc.) and the thought process of choosing an outfit to wear from the wardrobe (personal taste, conformity, etc.).

a LOT has been written about the psychology of clothes! one interesting and readily available text is Caroline Evans's "Fashion at the Edge" which you should read if you haven't yet. there is also a magazine called "Fashion Theory" which can be purchased online, at specialty book shops, and sometimes used book stores in larger cities.

rising star

Thank you for your reply! I know it was a bit vague of me, I think I'm going to focus it on collectors now. Over at tpf for sure there are a ton of women who obsessively collect handbags and shoes, it's pretty addictive it seems, I'd like to look at how that kind of behaviour starts and maybe the complications from spending all this money on say Chanel bags instead of the mortgage. Someone in my class today told me she'd read about Japanese Tom Ford fans who have whole apartments where they exclusively keep their collections as they're so afraid of it coming into contact with food and things, so I'm definitely going to look more into that.
It's not for a thesis, just a feature for the website I'll be making. But thanks for the advice, I'll check out Fashion Theory and Fashion at the Edge too

front row

cool

collecting is a great topic! (very guilty of it myself). good luck with your project !

front row

I have been thinking about this lately and I'll just go out on a limb and say that my closet is all about my colors.... as in color theory and what colors work for... as in seasonal color theory. I've read Eric Daman, the costume designer for Gossip Girl uses it. Anyway, I've had a series of revelations lately that no matter what I buy or wear, it must be my color...

This website says that your personal style is linked to some deeper part of yourself that you can't get away from... and to some extent that may be dictated by your personal coloring, ie, whether you are darker or lighter overall etc.

http://www.thechicfashionista.com/fa...tyle-quiz.html
http://www.thechicfashionista.com/yo...ct-colors.html

"But even though you feel Dramatic or Romantic in a any given moment, you can NOT be all personalities. Your clothing style is NOT based on what activities you are doing. Again, your personal style is inborn and often reflects a part of your personality which you can not hide.

Usually your facial and body traits and personal characteristics match with your clothing style. Like for example, a fair skinned, blonde woman with a modest personality and rounded facial and body traits would stay true to her personal style with draping and ruffles. She would look silly if she attempts to wear a pants-suit with emphasized shoulders and straight lines. You'll immediately notice the clothes first and that they over empower her...."

17-03-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbryony View Post
Someone in my class today told me she'd read about Japanese Tom Ford fans who have whole apartments where they exclusively keep their collections as they're so afraid of it coming into contact with food and things, so I'm definitely going to look more into that.
It sounds like an opening to research the correlation between psychiatric disorders (OCD comes to mind with this example) and the way it reflects on how a person dresses or organizes their wardrobe.

I'm curious to find out what you'll end up researching

17-03-2011
chaos reigns

Hum .... about my wardrobe .. Im obsessed with getting rid of things I do not use anymore.

As well, I have one those collapsible racks so its all in display in my bedroom. I keep it like that because that way, when I want to wear something I can see my entire wardrobe and its super easy to find the pieces I want to use and match em, even!

Another particular about me is that my skin color is tan/brown so I rarely wear black .. I dont think its a good match with my skin color. I do wear white proudly and add splashes of color thru accesories mostly.

Riot Bug

fashion.fashoff love your approach to the topic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbryony View Post
Thank you for your reply! I know it was a bit vague of me, I think I'm going to focus it on collectors now. Over at tpf for sure there are a ton of women who obsessively collect handbags and shoes, it's pretty addictive it seems, I'd like to look at how that kind of behaviour starts and maybe the complications from spending all this money on say Chanel bags instead of the mortgage. Someone in my class today told me she'd read about Japanese Tom Ford fans who have whole apartments where they exclusively keep their collections as they're so afraid of it coming into contact with food and things, so I'm definitely going to look more into that.
It's not for a thesis, just a feature for the website I'll be making. But thanks for the advice, I'll check out Fashion Theory and Fashion at the Edge too
So are you gonna ask what do we collect? Are u interesting on that specific area? my thing about that is collecting tees & shirts from male friends or even trade with 'em clothes...
I did also got a time when i was kinda obsessed with jeans... (not that much anymore) then i got a time when i was great obsessed with band tees from every gig i attended...(hell not anymore... just with certain ones still haha)
Okay currently, besides i am a scarf person (but not sure i collect that im pretty picky) & of course I collect hats!!
So hats and friend male tops would be... (If i keep thinking I would realize something more might come up)

Last edited by ediewho; 18-03-2011 at 05:46 AM.
18-03-2011
rising star

Apologies everyone! I had no idea there were so many replies, I usually get e-mails updating me... Woops
Anyway I'll be sure to post the final piece once it's done if youre all interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediewho View Post
fashion.fashoff love your approach to the topic!!

So are you gonna ask what do we collect? Are u interesting on that specific area? my thing about that is collecting tees & shirts from male friends or even trade with 'em clothes...
I did also got a time when i was kinda obsessed with jeans... (not that much anymore) then i got a time when i was great obsessed with band tees from every gig i attended...(hell not anymore... just with certain ones still haha)
Okay currently, besides i am a scarf person (but not sure i collect that im pretty picky) & of course I collect hats!!
So hats and friend male tops would be... (If i keep thinking I would realize something more might come up)
Not a specific area, just anything to do with clothing/accessories, maybe even special ways of storing your collections which may differ to the rest of you belongings?

And you seem very conscious of all the things you collect, I mean I wonder if some people collect things sub consciously as well, I'll look into that...

Do you think you can pin point a reason that you collect these things specifically? Why you would rather have a collection than to keep replacing things? And do you always feel like your collections are incomplete? So many questions haha but another thing I'm interested in is if you tend to buy things because your collection needs to be built up and a gap needs to be filled, rather than your wardrobe as a whole, e.g. 'Oh I dont have a top that goes with this skirt/I don't have a scarf that goes with this jacket - so I'll go buy one'
Like for me I buy things if I love them of course, but I'd also purposely buy say a particular colour scarf because all the ones I have don't match my new coat, not because I'm collecting scarfs and my scarf collection has a colour missing. Hell, it has a lot of colours missing haha :p

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrinaNicole View Post
I have been thinking about this lately and I'll just go out on a limb and say that my closet is all about my colors.... as in color theory and what colors work for... as in seasonal color theory. I've read Eric Daman, the costume designer for Gossip Girl uses it. Anyway, I've had a series of revelations lately that no matter what I buy or wear, it must be my color...

This website says that your personal style is linked to some deeper part of yourself that you can't get away from... and to some extent that may be dictated by your personal coloring, ie, whether you are darker or lighter overall etc.

http://www.thechicfashionista.com/fa...tyle-quiz.html
http://www.thechicfashionista.com/yo...ct-colors.html

"But even though you feel Dramatic or Romantic in a any given moment, you can NOT be all personalities. Your clothing style is NOT based on what activities you are doing. Again, your personal style is inborn and often reflects a part of your personality which you can not hide.

Usually your facial and body traits and personal characteristics match with your clothing style. Like for example, a fair skinned, blonde woman with a modest personality and rounded facial and body traits would stay true to her personal style with draping and ruffles. She would look silly if she attempts to wear a pants-suit with emphasized shoulders and straight lines. You'll immediately notice the clothes first and that they over empower her...."
I took the quiz! My style is classic and I have autumn colouring, not that I needed to be told that really but it is true that in moments of denial I will lust after something - usually it's high trend - and it will just sit in my closet because it doesn't go with my body shape, colouring, lifestyle, or anything else I own. It's important to remember this or so much money gets wasted on trying to look like someone other than your true self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramarine View Post
Hum .... about my wardrobe .. Im obsessed with getting rid of things I do not use anymore.
Me too! I've always been the type to have regular clear outs, something I only notice so much because I never notice my flatmates doing it like ever... so I kind of feel guilty for throwing stuff out, even if half of it goes to charity shops. But over the last month I have been going mad for it with all of my 'stuff', I think it may be getting a little addictive
So it is interesting me to also look at people who have a strong attachment to things, in the form of collecting too, wanting to know what motivates them to keep growing that collection. A collection of Loubou's and Prada bags is something I'm sure most people could understand, but clinging onto say 20 identical black shirts would just drive me nuts

Tags
brands, case, celebrity, fashion, homework, industry, influencing, inspired, internet, lifestyle, luxury, needing, nurses, quick, research, student, studies, university