How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-03-2011
windowshopping

interesting thread.
but are you going to write about some kind of relation between personality and wardrobe/ clothing style or just collect vairous wardrobe styles?

my wardrobe has changed in the past few years a lot. it used to be a big mess full of any kind of item from different styles and colors. i was always running out of space to put my new things.

now it is minimalistic with very few things, 90% black - t-****s, jeans, biker jackets, sneakers, leather boors and some very provocative dresses. all is extremely neatly organized in my closet. anything new that i buy needs to be consistent with the look and have a certain cut.
i have a collection of sunglasses, and while my style is mostly very casual i wear very elegant jewellry, which i also collect

18-03-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhaopian View Post
interesting thread.
but are you going to write about some kind of relation between personality and wardrobe/ clothing style or just collect vairous wardrobe styles?

now it is minimalistic with very few things, 90% black - t-****s, jeans, biker jackets, sneakers, leather boors and some very provocative dresses. all is extremely neatly organized in my closet. anything new that i buy needs to be consistent with the look and have a certain cut.
i have a collection of sunglasses, and while my style is mostly very casual i wear very elegant jewellry, which i also collect
I'm hoping to get pictures of all sorts of weird and wonderful wardrobes to generally post on the website and maybe q&a the owners about, but I have to do 10,000 words worth of features within this chosen subject area for my final project, so this whole pyschology of collecting thing was mainly to sort of gather some research for one particular feature.
Though I am also writing a feature on detoxing your closet, something I now have much experience in :p

And I would just like to say that your wardrobe now sounds perfect! That is just the kind of thing I am aiming for, very similar tastes it seems, except I'd have to throw some skirts in there too. I find skirts so easy to wear just stick them with black tights, black body and black biker jacket (yeah lots of black haha) and youre off! I work part-time in a denim store too though so that's part of me trying to escape wearing jeans 7 days a week...

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbryony View Post
I took the quiz! My style is classic and I have autumn colouring, not that I needed to be told that really but it is true that in moments of denial I will lust after something - usually it's high trend - and it will just sit in my closet because it doesn't go with my body shape, colouring, lifestyle, or anything else I own. It's important to remember this or so much money gets wasted on trying to look like someone other than your true self.:
Maybe because I'm older I'm a careful shopper.... I already know what works for me. And I hate having things I don't use. I like to feel that everything I have has a special meaning to me and for me that means it has to be something I will actually wear... so it has to be my color.

I never think much about what others wear or like... not as much anymore anyway.

18-03-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrinaNicole View Post
Maybe because I'm older I'm a careful shopper.... I already know what works for me. And I hate having things I don't use. I like to feel that everything I have has a special meaning to me and for me that means it has to be something I will actually wear... so it has to be my color.

I never think much about what others wear or like... not as much anymore anyway.
This is exactly what I'm aiming for I got rid of all that cr*p haha and throwing SO much stuff out, like at least 60% of my clothes but probably more, has definitely changed my spending habits and 'tastes' already. I also want to LOVE everything in my closet and know that it works for me and not that I have to work for it. You have a great attitude, I guess it comes with experience. If I hadn't started this crazy clear out thing I probably wouldve carried on. I'm graduating in a couple of months too so I think it's about time I sorted my style out once and for all...

Riot Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbryony View Post
Apologies everyone! I had no idea there were so many replies, I usually get e-mails updating me... Woops
Anyway I'll be sure to post the final piece once it's done if youre all interested

Not a specific area, just anything to do with clothing/accessories, maybe even special ways of storing your collections which may differ to the rest of you belongings?

And you seem very conscious of all the things you collect, I mean I wonder if some people collect things sub consciously as well, I'll look into that...

Do you think you can pin point a reason that you collect these things specifically? Why you would rather have a collection than to keep replacing things? And do you always feel like your collections are incomplete? So many questions haha but another thing I'm interested in is if you tend to buy things because your collection needs to be built up and a gap needs to be filled, rather than your wardrobe as a whole, e.g. 'Oh I dont have a top that goes with this skirt/I don't have a scarf that goes with this jacket - so I'll go buy one'
Like for me I buy things if I love them of course, but I'd also purposely buy say a particular colour scarf because all the ones I have don't match my new coat, not because I'm collecting scarfs and my scarf collection has a colour missing. Hell, it has a lot of colours missing haha :p

prob need a quite extended explanation about it... it kinda made me double question myself the whys... hahah ill reply you though

flaunt the imperfection

moving this to careers and education because it is a school project...

22-03-2011
unspecified

I would advise you to look at some threads in the Personal Style thread and Fashion.. In Depth. There are a lot of threads that point out how a personal views influence and make your style personal. Without going any further, there is a thread about changing your closet, and the discussion in there is very close to why to do it: (http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f58...set-65389.html)
My closet is very varied, at first sight, there are a lot of things there that you wouldn't think are for the same person. My personal style is very wide ranged-I think. But there is always something connecting it. Once I started blogging, I realised how much more your everyday life afects the way you approach how you dress. I'm not just talking about how your state of mind is a cause for your dressing in a day, but also in the long term. I love pictures and images, so it's no wonder that I like volume and big statements (this doesn't have to reflect only in pieces, but the way you put them toghether)- But, being in a city where they yell at you a lot on the streets, I tend to tone it down, sometimes a lot. There are ocassioanly those days where I'm feeling certain way and I can take it, so I go further, and feel way better wearing it.

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style

Last edited by Petit Lucille; 22-03-2011 at 01:48 AM. Reason: add link
22-03-2011
backstage pass

Is this thread limited to fashion-related academics only now? I looked through the first few pages and they were about any school subjects, but it doesn't seem to be the case here anymore?

22-03-2011
V.I.P.

It's intended to be about fashion... because tFS is about Fashion and that is why this forum is named "Careers, Education and the Business of Fashion". No idea why there were other subjects, but I'm guessing that probably we just gathered all "homework/research/papers/projects" types of threads together to start this thread. We were cleaning a bit and wanted get it all togther, organized in one place.

23-03-2011
backstage pass

^ Thanks for clearing it up.

03-05-2011
windowshopping

LEIGH BOWERY! Inspired by..
Hi guys!! So being one of the few late 20 YO students in my fashion school, I;m shocked to learn that almost no one in my classes know of the great Leigh Bowery! I'm doing a presentation on him and wanted to show what a great performance artist/ designer he was. I know many great designers were inspired by the outrageous looks he has done and want to know of any more you guys can think of.

I got John Galliano S/S 03, McQueen FW 09, and some CDG collection where the makeup artist painted the lips next to the actual lips (FW09 & FW 04)

Plus let's talk about how much of a great artist he is!! I hate how much people try to compare Lady Caca to him. NO COMPARISON!

03-05-2011
trendsetter

You could look at a few of the earlier collections of Gareth Pugh who has described Bowery as his Idol and constant inspiration.

This is the Renaissance

You should make your classmates watch "The Legend of Leigh Bowery"!

I'm pretty sure it's still online somewhere as that's where I saw it.

And to be fair, Lady Gaga has mentioned him many times as a huge influence.

03-05-2011
windowshopping

YES! How can I forget about Gareth Pugh!! The presentation has to be 5 mins. and I have so much information to share, I was kinda thinking of sharing the clip of him giving birth at wigstock! HA!

Last edited by BetteT; 03-05-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Splitting this post between here and the thread in A&D.
03-05-2011
tfs star

In your other thread re: the Gaultier houndstooth suit, Leigh Bowery did the exact same one as well..although I'm unsure who thought of it, designed it, and wore it first.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brands, case, celebrity, fashion, homework, industry, influencing, inspired, internet, lifestyle, luxury, needing, nurses, quick, research, student, studies, university