How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-10-2011
V.I.P.

Oops ... I looked it up ... and I think I was thinking about André Courrèges ... they were both very popular designers in the 60's ... and they both did some sci fi work, too. But it was Courrèges who did the ultra spacey designs ... with clear vinyl blocks and the visors.

20-10-2011
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteT View Post
What first comes to mind is that old movie ... and it's recent remake ... Tron. If I remember correctly (I never actually saw either film), the protaganist was stuck inside a computer or at least the softwear ... the environment was dark and the costumes were lit like neon, as well as the motorcycles they drove to get around. So ... there must be tons of movie stills from films like that ... science fiction.

Then ... I think about lots of sci fi movies from the 60's that had a definite fashion bent ... Rudi Gernreich is one designer who did work on films like this ... and his runway shows had the same futuristic vibe. Hats that looked like helmuts with visors ... as one example.
Thank you so much, for some reason the only film vaguely to do with robots and machinery that I could think of was Metropolis, and I thought that was quite a cliche for a 'modern' collection (though I understand Tron has been quite an influence on Ghesquiere for example).
I have never seen Tron, though the mention of it brought me to thinking of another film, The Black Hole, the ending of which terrified me as a child, and subsequently, has inspired me. I shall watch both films and recap on the Lawnmower Man again, methinks.

darrenbarefoot.com

21-11-2011
front row

Inspiration & moodboard for a Bottega Veneta collection
Hello everyone!

I have to do a project: draw 3 looks for Bottega Veneta.
Those 3 looks alltogether must have an inspiration and its own moodboard.

My problem is that nothing comes to my mind in terms of inspiration that could work for a collection for Bottega!
(Yeah I get the peculiarities of the brand, the Bottega woman, etc)

So any ideas, imputs, brainstorming, whatever, for starting a moodboard would be greatly appreciated!

22-11-2011
front row

I always imagine Bottega woman as powerful and confident. I would think outside the box in terms of inspiration. Instead of vacation spots, art and other cliche inspiration, think of what reminds you of that kind of woman. I think of buildings and wind for some reason.

trendsetter

I'm actually using a slight variation of this topic for a research project!
So any opinions on the effect fashion bloggers have had on the industry (if you think there has been or not) and how street style has evolved and changed the industry over the years (ie. from bill to the now multitudes of snappers over the world), would be great!
I'd be so grateful for your thoughts

27-11-2011
backstage pass

I'm working on my thesis and I was wondering if you could help he out by telling me designers who have worked with the themes of 18th century, French Revolution and Napoleon in their collections. I have 2 or 3 on my list but I want to know if there have been more.

Thanks!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glossypages View Post
I'm actually using a slight variation of this topic for a research project!
So any opinions on the effect fashion bloggers have had on the industry (if you think there has been or not) and how street style has evolved and changed the industry over the years (ie. from bill to the now multitudes of snappers over the world), would be great!
I'd be so grateful for your thoughts
Although you can't ask for help in the Fashion In Depth threads, there is a thread that might be worth reading ... to see if anyone has mentioned this:
Thoughts on fashion bloggers

27-11-2011
trendsetter

Thanks BetteT you help is appreciated,
I just realised my post in that thread was moved here! thanks for the advice I'll give it an in depth read and take notes

28-11-2011
V.I.P.

Ha, ha! I didn't realize that you posted there first ... and then I sat here and told you about that thread and also said that you couldn't ask for help there. Honest ... I was not the mod who moved your post here. It really was a coincidence that I mentioned it.

29-11-2011
trendsetter

Hahah not to worry at all Bette! thanks for your help

29-11-2011
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jibrielle* View Post
I'm working on my thesis and I was wondering if you could help he out by telling me designers who have worked with the themes of 18th century, French Revolution and Napoleon in their collections. I have 2 or 3 on my list but I want to know if there have been more.

Thanks!
Dior Couture S/S 06 (all to do with French Revolution)
Dolce & Gabbana A/W 06 (empire line dresses, great embroideries etc)

29-11-2011
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitumpah View Post
Hello everyone!

I have to do a project: draw 3 looks for Bottega Veneta.
Those 3 looks alltogether must have an inspiration and its own moodboard.

My problem is that nothing comes to my mind in terms of inspiration that could work for a collection for Bottega!
(Yeah I get the peculiarities of the brand, the Bottega woman, etc)

So any ideas, imputs, brainstorming, whatever, for starting a moodboard would be greatly appreciated!
Experimentation - Bottega is an extremely changeable brand, Maier creates original designs (which are often copied) but, being honest, I find that they don't always turn out to be as beautiful as I'd hope.
I imagine the Bottega woman being of noble birth in the '70s, lived with an artist for a few years in her late 'teens and, never having forgotten that period of her life, painting and sculpting in her loft in New York, leaving society in Italy.
Look at details of his recent collections - for brands like Bottega, (experimental, exclusive brands) it's always about the detail.

Images from A/W 11-12 and S/S 11 collections

style.com

30-11-2011
backstage pass

David Attenborough - who do you think he is?
Hello everyone!

For an assignment in uni I'm looking at the public perception of David Attenborough. As TFS members span the world I would be SO grateful if you guys would take part in my study. It's a quick 10 question survey and no previous knowledge about David Attenborough is required - open to everyone from the biggest fans to those who have no idea who he is!

Here's the survey link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FMQZZPV

If you could take just a few seconds to fill it out I'd appreciate it.

Thanks everyone

scenester

I did it! I wouldn't say I'm BIGGEST fan, but I have the Life Series DVD's.

30-11-2011
fashion insider

He's a British National Treasure

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice, homework, needed, needing, research, studies, university