How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-06-2012
backstage pass

Thank you everyone!
Posted via Mobile Device

08-06-2012
windowshopping

Hi everyone.

I'm in the middle of my GCSE Textiles and am working on my Market Research page. I would be really grateful if any of you could spare, something like 1 minute to answer 10 questions - they're tick boxes so it's super quick - so I can collect some data. If you have some spare time please visit this link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/L8MS2VV

My textiles brief is "to design a garment inspired by 'The Age of Punk' to be sold at festivals across the UK" if you wanted to know a little bit more.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Rachel

11-06-2012
rising star

Hi, all!

I'm an anthropology and art history student at Columbia University in New York, and I'm working on my senior honors thesis on the European modeling industry. I'm trying to speak to people who work with and in the modeling industry, such as models, scouts, bookers, stylists, casting directors, photographers, lawyers, accountants, et cetera. I'm also hoping to observe the organizational structure of the agency and casting process, and to analyze the contracts used.

My research is 100% funded and supervised by Columbia University, and all names will be changed for privacy and confidentiality. The data will only be used for academic purposes.

Please PM if you can help me out -- if you're in Europe, I'd love to buy you a meal/coffee as a token of my gratitude!

11-10-2012
V.I.P.

Hello, I'm currently a graduate student in communications at University of Syracuse. I am doing a project focusing on how fashion and fashion brands use social media. If there is anyone who works in a related field and would be willing to answer a few questions. Please send me a PM. I would really appreciate a response from anyone who has something to contribute.

Thanks
Jenna

V.I.P.

Here's a related thread in our Fashion In Depth forum ... has an interesting link to some company that can provide statistics on social media for each of a bunch of brands: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f12...ds-148611.html

16-10-2012
backstage pass

Hi guys, I really really need an article for my french project, in french obviously, about clothes and in general about what young people prefer to wear. What I'm absolutely fine with an article from a french magazine.

16-10-2012
fashion icon

So I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help but I was wondering if anyone was knowledgable on the clothing depicted in statues of the Kore from Archaic Greek art? I am doing a paper on these statues, in particular looking at how the clothing depicted did/didn't represent the clothes worn during this era and the meaning behind the garments. I've found some information but I'd love to get some more detailed knowledge on it. Thanks

Kore wiki

Ère de ℳodernité

Hello! I'm doing researches about the trends for spring 2013 and part of it has to mention the 40s references in the collections. I managed to identify the peplum trend, but failed to id any other. Could anyone enlighten me (links to the runway photos are more than welcomed)? THANK YOU!

V.I.P.

^

i hope this helps

http://nymag.com/thecut/2012/10/see-...entSlide=00027

Ère de ℳodernité

^ Thanks! Anything more specific on the references to the 1940s?

Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefrenchy View Post
^ Thanks! Anything more specific on the references to the 1940s?

The 1940's shoulder!
Very broad, usually with fabric draped from them, a la Joan Crawford.

Theyskens' Theory
Bottega Veneta

I've been going on about it in most of the S/S 13 threads

malepatternboldness.blogspot.com

style.com

30-10-2012
Ère de ℳodernité

Thanks for these BetteT. I did google search and Posen, Burberry and Bottega were the only ones I found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying Diamonds View Post
The 1940's shoulder!
Very broad, usually with fabric draped from them, a la Joan Crawford.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-cTk_eH1Bdx...+shoulders.jpg

http://www.style.com/fashion-shows/s...34.450x675.JPG http://www.style.com/fashion-shows/s...84.450x675.JPG

Theyskens' Theory
Bottega Veneta

I've been going on about it in most of the S/S 13 threads

malepatternboldness.blogspot.com

style.com
Thank you! I'm so lost with that one as I saw some people referring to it as an 80s shoulder

I picked these but I'm not sure which is more 40s or more 80s... Balmain, Chalayan, Lanvin, Mugler, Stella.

STYLE.COM

All this is so confusing to me

Geometric Discharge

^ I'd say the McCartney and the Lanvin are good ones but the best example is the Balmain, think true horizontal line

McQueen loved this shoulder, as can be seen in some of his Givenchy work.

Alexander McQueen S/S 08

style.com

30-10-2012
V.I.P.

The 80's shoulder was an eggagerated take off on the 40's. Crying Diamonds is correct in pointing out Joan Crawford as a 40's fashion icon. . It was her own shoulders that inspired the 40's shoulders .... she exagerated hers by padding, but she really did have big shoulders.

War time in the 40's impacted fashion a lot ... so fabric and everthing else was rationed then, so skirts got shorter and skimpeir and I honestly think that the shoulders and the suits and pants for women that become so popular then, stemmed from military looks ... due mainly to the war. So I would say that anything with strong shoulders, a military look, especially suits and coat dresses, and high waisted, drapey pants are definitely inspired by the 40's.

Then the long, slim and sexy gowns with ruching and or expansive cleavage are pure 40's Hollywood. Not to mention platform shoes (wedges, in particlaur) ... which are also 40's inspired.

Last edited by BetteT; 30-10-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brands, case, celebrity, fashion, homework, industry, influencing, inspired, internet, lifestyle, luxury, needing, nurses, quick, research, student, studies, university