How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-01-2013
Some Like It Hot

03-01-2013
scenester

Thanks Thefrenchy, and yes agreed that your sexuality should not dictate how you dress or the brands you buy into. Yet I can't help but notice a direct correlation between the brands that certainly lesbians buy into and how these brands portray themselves.

My issues with the literature on this subject is that gays and lesbians are grouped together as one market. One of the first variables to consider when identifying a 'market' is gender..?

scenester

Loved the D&G advert, how could I forget this one. Thought it was very clever. I seem to remember only seeing it a handful of times though, perhaps it was banned by the ASA. Will research.

scenester

At the risk of sounding stereotypical, I can see that Givenchy advert appealing to straight men. Perhaps another important point.

Some Like It Hot

Like thefrenchy, I'm a homo, I don't mind seeing homosexuality in ad campaigns, but I hate when it's defined as the gay market, it's like how Tom Ford once said "its natural and should be 'oh you sleep with a man? fantastic'."(along those lines anyway, I can't remember the exact quote).

Also this, Tom Ford for Men ad... I've never seen it in print, but have online.

*dieyoungstaypretty88.wordpress.com

scenester

Yes I don't think that one was intended for billboard use! I should imagine it would have had the same effect as the Wonderbra 'Hello Boys' billboard of the 90s.

Agree with the 'gay market' comment, seems to be the general consensus from the gays and lesbians I have approached on the matter.

V.I.P.

we are a huge target/market for fashion since we have MONEY to spend ...
There's even a word for that: Dinky (Double income, no kids) ...

but i'm not sure to understand what is your subject about ... Could u clarify ? I don't see the debate of your subject ... Is it: Why are Fashion Brands targeting homos ? and/or how ? when did they start ? who started it ? on which purpose ?

I think you should have a look at Gay/Queer Studies and Gay contemporary History, too, non ?

Anyway, I would be very interested to know what one learns in homosexual (fashion) marketing (to me, it sounds as ridiculous as the dogs private club opening those days in NYC), and what texts you find about this ...

We are the ones making Fashion

*btw, when I say "we", I, of course, talk about homos-men, ***Edited**** Removing inflamitory and inapporpirate remarks.

Last edited by BetteT; 03-01-2013 at 08:27 PM.
08-01-2013
backstage pass

I'm making an essay of Chanel. There are a few things that I can't find, and I hope someone can help me with it.

I'm searching for:
- art movement that inspired Gabrielle 'Coco' Chanel
- designer that inspired Gabrielle 'Coco' Chanel

Thanks in advance!!!

tfs star

West Goes East
Hi there TFS'ers!
I'm writing an essay/work in my university about a huge trend that's high fashion focus on Asia.
How now the designers do trunk shows in asian countries, open several stores there, asian models are everywhere, when in the past there was 1 or 2 asian models, and why every brand is doing collections & campaigns with influences from Japan, China, India, etc...

Can you tell me your input on this emerging and really relevant trend?
...or... if you know any articles about this trend can you show me?

I want to know your opinion!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by miguelalmeida; 23-01-2013 at 02:15 PM.
28-01-2013
trendsetter

Literature on the Advertising fashion photography
I hope it's fine to open a new thread, because I didn't find anything appropriate to ask for suggestions for my diploma work and since it's a quite broad topic maybe it would interest others too.

The title is as written above, I would like some recommendations about this topic - Ad campaigns actually.
I am planning to research a bit of a history, definitions, (un)written rules of fashion photography in advertising purposes and even differences and similarities between photography for ad campaigns and fashion editorials. I think boundaries are increasingly blurred.
I would like to highlight certain cases that stand out.

I am interested in books and articles as well.

Thanks very much!

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)
29-01-2013
backstage pass

Hey guys! I have to prepare for my public speach in school. I choosed theme "Most beautiful Chanel catwalks". Do you know any interestin facts about Chanel Catwalks or articles as well ?
TIA

30-01-2013
V.I.P.

What do you mean by "most beautiful"? The models, the clothes ... or the actual staging?

30-01-2013
backstage pass

^Staging

03-02-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinadaze View Post
I hope it's fine to open a new thread, because I didn't find anything appropriate to ask for suggestions for my diploma work and since it's a quite broad topic maybe it would interest others too.

The title is as written above, I would like some recommendations about this topic - Ad campaigns actually.
I am planning to research a bit of a history, definitions, (un)written rules of fashion photography in advertising purposes and even differences and similarities between photography for ad campaigns and fashion editorials. I think boundaries are increasingly blurred.
I would like to highlight certain cases that stand out.

I am interested in books and articles as well.

Thanks very much!
Please, anyone?

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)
03-02-2013
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egoiste View Post
Hey guys! I have to prepare for my public speach in school. I choosed theme "Most beautiful Chanel catwalks". Do you know any interestin facts about Chanel Catwalks or articles as well ?
TIA
I know that Lagerfeld has said previously that he often gets the ideas for entire collections, and even the design of the runway, in dreams he has.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brands, case, celebrity, fashion, homework, industry, influencing, inspired, internet, lifestyle, luxury, needing, nurses, quick, research, student, studies, university